Maternal & Child Community
Fetal death at 11 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fetal death at 11 weeks

I was 11 weeks pregnant and went to the doctor on monday and they couln't find heartbeat with doppler and I freaked and they sent me to ultrasound to make me feel better by seeing it on the u/s. I saw immediately there was no heartbeat and so did the lady that was doing u/s. It was that most horrifying thing I have ever had to see, my baby lying inside me with no heartbeat. I had no symptoms of loss at all. They did a D&C on Monday afternoon. I am fine physically now, no bleeding or anything.Mentally I am a mess. Does anyone know how long before I can try and get pregnant again? I want to try now!!
You should wait after at least one cycle.  It happened to me and I couldn't stop crying at the u/s place.  But the wait didn't turn out to be that bad.  I ended up waiting 1 year even though I wanted to try again immediately.
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Really a lousy deal...
My Dr told me to wair 2 cycles before ttc again...did your DR give you any timeline? I'm having a hard time with the idea of waiting another cycle though!
I guess I probably should have said, after my D I did not bleed long at all and I had to wait to get my af, after that then I started to try.
thast my story to a tee so I can sympathize with you.  I m/c july 28 and and just got my first af on 10/7 .  your body will let you know when your ready but your hcg levels have to be at zero first.   it may take weeks for that to happen
I haven't really talked to the doctor about trying again. It all happened so fast. Me or the doctor was expecting that to happen. I was in the u/s room for about an hour afterwards crying my heart out so we really didn't talk about it. She told me before they put me to sleep that I could try and have another one right away, but i didn't no how long right away was. I don't go back until monday.
I am so sorry.
Gosh, Im so sorry. I was told by 2 different doctors to wait 1 full cycle before trying again. Hope you feel better, I know it sucks.
Did you find out if something was wrong with your baby. The doctor told me they were sending to the lab and should be able to tell me if it was abnormalties or not.
I had a missed m/c in July followed with a D&C on July 9. My dr told me to wait 1-2 af's before we started to ttc again. Because my af took so stinking long to get here Oct 12, my hubby and I decided to try right away:)
I tried right away.  Trust me I know how it is and understand the pain that it leaves to see a baby lying inside you with no hb. I had the same situation happen to me.  I had the d n c in Dec and was July before I  got pregnant again.  Part of that was because my husband was gone over seas.  I wish you the best of luck
the baby died at 8 weeks and I didn't find out until 11 weeks, meanwhile I had no symptoms.  There was not much let of the baby when they did the d/c.  so no I didn't find anything out.  I'm sorry I didn't but am thankful that I am able to conceive.  good luck to you and let me know what you find out...  Dana
I am so sorry for your loss.  I too suffered a MC but at 9 1/2 weeks.  Physically I bounced back quickly but mentally it definately took some time.  Day by day I felt somewhat better.  I cried everyday the first week and from there it seemed that time healed.  I ended up getting pregnant 6 months later and am now 24 weeks pregnant.  It will happen for you too.
Hang in there.  I remember well- it was a nightmare.
So sorry to hear that this happened.  I also had a d&c last Wed on 18 Oct, fetus died at just before 9 weeks.  Gynae told me to wait 1 normal AF cycle before trying again.  I understand how you feel about wanting to ttc right away, as I am also going through this phase right now as I am typing this comment.  But I guess I will still wait for 1 AF before trying as don't want to handle another loss and blaming myself for not listening to the doctor.  

However, I have also heard from the various websites / posts of ladies who conceived right away without 1 AF and all went well, which makes me feel really tempted about not listening to the doctor; but have also read about others who tried immediately only to miscarry again, which is scary.  I am currently also going through this turmoil and dilemma in my mind of really wanting to try immediately but also afraid if something goes wrong due to not heeding the doctor's advice of waiting 1 AF cycle.  Totally understand what you are going through now.  I had one other miscarriage with d&c in Jan this year at 9 weeks (felt sad, but did not feel as bad for the Jan loss as the pregnancy did not start off well in the first place - slow growth, had difficulty initially finding fetal pole & fetus, then later difficulty detecting heartbeat although did detect heartbeat a few days before fetus died, etc, so was more prepared for the Jan loss.  But for the recent miscarriage felt really very very sad as the baby was progressing very well with strong heartbeat, good growth up to 8 weeks 0 days which was the last time I saw my baby alive and well with strong heartbeat pulsation on the ultrasound on Monday 9 Oct 2006, it died a few days after that last ultrasound later that week, went for unscheduled gynae checkup on 17 Oct cos had some slight pink staining, very light though), so am going through a rough patch right now.

You can read my "story" which I posted on this forum 2 days ago on 24 Oct 2006 under title "Is it safe to try to conceive immediately after d&c?", and you will see that you are not alone in feeling like this.  Hope this helps and that you feel better.
I also wanted to say how sorry I am. I've had two losses, at the first was discovered when I was 12 weeks along. Your doctor will let you know when you can try again.
I'm sorry for your loss my baby also died at 12weeks and I had a natural miscarriage and saw everything it was awful I hadnt had my scan yet but was due to I had no idea my baby died until I started bleeding and a few days later passed everything midwife told me the baby had only just died its not very nice thinking your just about out of the woods of the first trimester then you lose the baby. I was recommended to wait 3 months I got pregnant straight after the 3 months and are now nearly 36 weeks pregnant now. Good luck
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  I was 11 weeks when they saw nothing on my u/s, but I can't imagine having a little baby in there too.  I waited one cycle and got pregnant again right after.  My Dr. told me I could start trying right after I stopped bleeding form my m/c, but it was a natural one and I didn't have a baby, just a placenta, so I don't know if it makes a difference.  I would ask your Dr. and try as soon as it is safe and you are ready.  I pray you are doing better soon and are blessed with a little angel again.  Take care.
I am so sorry for your loss and everyone else on here who posted similar experiences.  I am 13 weeks and that is my worst nightmare.  I did m/c before but at 4.5 weeks before ever hearing or seeing the baby.  That was bad but I cannot even imagine life without this baby inside me.  My heart goes out to all of you.  My prayers are with you to have a healthy pregnancy again soon.
I am so sorry and know exactly how you feel!  The same thing happened w/me last year.  I went in for my 12 week u/s and the fetus heart had stopped @ 11 weeks.  I was @ the doc office the previous week and heard it on the doppler so it was a total shock.  I waited out a natural miscarraige (miscarriage) and then ended up having a d&c also because everything did not expel.  I waited 2 cycles and am now 33 weeks pregnant w/a healthy baby!
There is hope....have they run any tests on you?  They found I have a clotting disorder which they think probably caused it and I was treated immediately and it has seemed to work.  Sometimes doctors don't test after the first one, which that was my first pregnancy, I just got lucky my doctor tested for that....you may want to ask.
Good Luck and the days will get better....
I am so sorry of your loss.. I had a similar loss at 10 weeks back in january.  I had my first AF in february and started TTC after that.  I got pregnant again in April and have a healthy baby boy due in January!!

I would recommend waiting at least 1 period before trying again.  That way your uterine lining has time to build up and be strong to support another pregnancy.  Good luck and just know that all of our angel babies are safe..
I'm so sorry for your loss.  I've lost 3 babies this year...my longest was a 8.5 wks so I can't imagine your grief and loss at 11 weeks.

Being that you were so far along..I think you should at least wait 1-2 cycles....1 at the very least. It's a very personal decision so it's up to you and your dr.  It would be nice to get the test results first...did they send the fetus to the pathology lab to find out any chromosome problems or abnormalities?

Many many women conceive even prior to their first AF and have great luck...

IT'S ALL BY THE GRACE OF GOD....I'M PRAYING FOR YOU.
YOU'LL KNOW IN YOUR HEART BY GOD'S PEACE WHEN IT'S TIME AGAIN.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It's scary at stage of pregnancy to lose your baby. It is a loss that is very hard to deal with and come to terms with. My very first pg ended in m/c. I was over 12 weeks but the baby had not grown passed 8 weeks. I was devastated also and just wanted to immediately be pregnant again. I fell pg 3 months later and she is turning 5 in December. I have also gone on to have 2 other babies (both boys) and am now 16 weeks with #4. I have not had a m/c since. I think your body will tell you the right time to fall pg again and it should be up to you not anyone else to tell you when you are ready personally. Somebody once told me when I had m/c that the only thing that will change is the due date and I felt so good about that concept that it gave me hope to try again. Believe me - the next pg will be absolutely terrifying for you - make sure you have loads of emotional and physical support and please visit this website for extra support! Take care of yourself!

I had a similar experience. On 25/09 I went for a routine scan and found out the baby had died at 7.5 weeks. I had no symptoms at all. I had a D&C on 28/09. The doctor told me they recommend to wait for 1 cycle before trying so it is easier to know the dates of the next pregnancy but not for any other reason and that it is safe to try straight away. I wrote to a miscarriage association and their reply was the same. They said there is no extra risk for trying straight away. It is true you can miscarry but you can also miscarry if you wait, so I think the chances are the same. I am TTC myself because, just like you, I couldn't wait. This is a UK doctor, by the way. Good luck!
I just went to the doctors yesterday for my first prenatal check up at 10 wks and she could not detect a heartbeat so I went for u/s and they said that the baby had probably died at 6 wks. But today i did a home pregnancy test and the results were still positive. What does that mean?
I'm so devastated as just this morning I went in for an u/s and saw to me and my husband's horror our lifeless baby on the monitor at 9 1/2 weeks.  I had just had a little pink spotting starting yesterday with no other symptoms.  To make this even worse, just 10 days ago we saw an healthy, strong heartbeat and all my hormone levels were good, I'm 35 and have 2 boys from a previous marriage (ages 8 and 11)--but this was me and my now husband's 1st child together.  I had 1 m/c almost 12 yrs ago, but 2 healthy boys after--I'm just feeling so alone and sad and have a d/c scheduled for tomorrow.  Do you think I will be able to have a baby?  I feel very hopeless as we already invested so much love and hope into this tiny being.
The hcg hormone that makes the test positive is still high enough to make it positive. This will happen even for awhile after a miscarriage or d&c. It takes awhile for it to get low enough to make the test negative.
I am so sorry. I just went through the same thing so know how you feel.

You should be able to have another baby. Many people get pregnant a few months after a d&c and go on to carry it to term. I would ask the doctor how long you need to wait and then try again. With a d&c they should be able to tell you what went wrong with the baby. They usually will have a pathology report a week later.

Again, I am sorry.

I'm so sorry for you. This happened to me also. At 16 weeks--almost 4 months--I went to have a regular routine dr visit and during the ultrasound I could see the tiny baby laying there completely still.It had died a couple weeks before. I was devastated. So were my other children

I got pregnant 3 months later and now am holding my beautiful 2 month old baby boy! Don't lose hope and do what feels right for you. We tried right away but it didn't happen until the third month. But that is actually pretty quick, in retrospect. I have a friend who got pregnant 2 WEEKS after a miscarriage. SO it just depends on your individual body. If you are like me, the only thing that seemed like it would help my sorrow was to be pregnant again.
I love how you put it--"...already invested so much love and hope into this tiny being"  I know exactly what you mean.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Know that you WILL feel better with the passing of time. I remember feeling like I would NEVER get over it, but I have. You will get pregnant again.And there will be a day that this nightmare is in the past.
Best of luck to you
i know how all feel i  had a mc in april then got pregnant agian in july with twins i just mc agian nov. 7th i am so devestated i dont know what to do i cant stop crying and cant get the site of seeing my two little girls lieing there lifeless no heatbeat cuddled together back to back i dont know if i want to try agian i have a 22 month old and with out him i dont know how i would have even made it through the night after i found out but the same thing with us regular check up no heartbeat went for a u/s and all i rememeber was looking at them and what is even worse is i got milk 2 days after my d&c... they told me 4 months before we could try agian but like i said i dont know cause i dont know if i could go through it agian but if anybody has any adivce for me i would greatly appirecate it ...... but i guess i am young and have time.
i am so sorry for moms who lost thier babies i can feel thier pain i also recently lost 17 weeks baby boy...there is no such reason ....i cant stop crying when ever think about my baby ....perhaps is dead but will always be alive in my memories forever...anyway wish u all  pregnant moms good luck ...and may GOD be with u and ur little ones.
shiza
i whould like to have any advice from anybody and i whould reallyappirecate it.....i am so mentaly upset after i lost my baby ....and i wanted to try again ....but i am so scared ..of what happend to me lately....so upset ...
shiza
HI...I HAVE TWO MISCARRIAGE, MY FIRST ONLY MADE TO 8 WEEKS AND MY BODY DISCHARGED. MY SECOND WAS 11 WEEKS DID NOT HAD HEART RATE  AND SPOT EVERY MONTH. I DO NOT WHAT TO DO NO MORE. I WAIT ALMOST A YEAR FOR THE SECOND AND EVERYTHING WHEN WRONG. NOW I WONDER IF I GOING TO BE ABLE DO THIS AGAIN. I FEEL REALLY GUILTY. I THINK I KILL MY BABY WITH MY STRESS OF SCHOOL.  PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT..................PLEASE
Dear Yoyu, and all others

I feel your pain. You are not alone. I too have had 12wk and 14wk foetal deaths followed by D&Cs. I have 2 healthy boys now and they are the light of my life. We are all women and those of us who are maternal and brave enough to make babies are blessed with them if we keep trying. What we are not told is that it is very common and normal to lose an unborn baby. This forum is living proof of this. Unfortunately we are not told by our doctors, mothers, or grandmothers how common it is to miscarry before we go into baby making and so we do not expect it. The truth is n matter what the age of a women is, 50% of conceptions don't implant or carry to term. It is no fault of ours that our unborn foetus dies, it is biology and mother nature, doing its best to reproduce the only way it knows how. When we expect everything to be perfect every time we are expecting too much of biology and mother nature. We are so shocked when it turns out differently from our false expectations of perfection, and so the hurt is deeper. The best remedy for miscarriage or foetal death is another pregnancy and the birth of a healthy baby. You will never forget your losses but your life will be filled with your new beautiful baby. Your pain will fade into a distant memory with everyday you spend with your new baby. Making babies is not always easy but the reward is worth any amount of pain. So chin up high, take a big breath and say "I'm going to be the mother of a beautiful baby one day", smile about it and be strong - women are made to be strong, be proud to be one and try, try again, don't stop till you have your baby, no matter how sad or exhausting your attempts may have to be. Good things come to those who try.
Be strong, look to the future now.
ela