Maternal & Child Community
Fetal heartrate in the 160's or 140's, what did it mean for y...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fetal heartrate in the 160's or 140's, what did it mean for you?

I have two girls and am 17 weeks with my third pregnancy, though I would love and welcome a girl, a boy would be nice since I do not have any.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a fast fetal heartbeat and it was a boy.  My first two girls had fast heartrates and at my 12 week visit the heartrate was 161, so I am thinking girl.

We are not finding out the sex until the baby is born, but I am curious about that others have experienced or will be soon experiencing at their 20 week visits.

Thanks in advance, sticky dust and baby dust to all who need it.

2girls
My boy was high also. I just "knew" it was a girl.
Wrong .....so I will never believe the heartbeat theory again!
My girl at 17 weeks was 163.  My friend also had a girl whose heart beat was never over 130 so we were convinced it was a boy.  Nope!  Good luck and I wish you a happy healthy pregnancy!
hi everyone. I am really intrigued by this conversation.  I just went in for my 7w 2 days ultrasound and the heartbeat was 140...are you saying that this could be a girl?
Absolutely you could be having a girl!  :)  When I first heard the heartbeat and it was so high, I immediately asked my doctor if there was any truth to the high heartbeat/girl myth.  He said there is no scientific truth to it...although I did end up with a girl.

Funny side note.  I also asked about the "girls carry high" and "boys carry low" myth.  He laughed and said the only reason a boy would carry lower in the belly than a girl is if he had huge testicles weighing him down!!  :)
my boy at 10 weeks was 177
I am 21 weeks, I found out a couple of weeks ago that I am having a boy. His heartbeat is always in the high 150's. Last ultrasound it was 158. I check it often at home too, and it is always around that range.  I dont think the high heartrate for girls theory is always right.  Good Luck! Brenda
My son was really fast till about 20 weeks, then he slowed down, so we were thinking possibly a girl too, but I just had a feeling he was a boy.  I think that the heartrate can change so much from 12 weeks to 20 weeks that it's hard to tell so early on.  Good luck though, it's still fun to guess!
My baby's heartrate is always high.  We won't find out what we're having until Wednesday.  But my sister had a boy and his heartrate was always in the 160s.  She's now pregnant with a girl and her heartrate is in the 160s.  My doctor told me the higher heartrate means girl old wives tale too, but then said, "It has a fifty/fifty chance of being right."
I think that says it all. Lol!
My boys (all three of them) ran high when awake and lower when they were sleeping. I don't put any stock in the heartrate thing and neither does the medical community. they have actually done studies on it due to the wives tale and guess what...no correlation : )

Andi
both my boys were around 140 if that helps
with my first twin pregnancy my son's heart rate was always higher than his sister's.
my son had been around 140 this whole pregnancy.
Mine has been in the low 150's. I will fnd out end of Aug what I am having.
Thanks for all the imput, I am happy that I still have no idea since the myth has not been proven.

Good luck to all.

2girls
So if I am right at 140bpm....am I having a girl or a boy?
i just found out that im having a boy as well im currently 17 weeks and his hb is normally 156bpm.
My first heartbeat, at 5w6d, appeared on ultrasound at 130bpm, and today, I heard a 160bpm at 11w5d.  My mom and mother-in-law swear we're having a boy, but we'll see... :)
For me it meant a girl my first childs heartrate was between 140 and 160 the whole pregnancy my brothers gf was preg the same time and her babys heartrate sat between 125 and 135 so we thought we were having the opposite sex and we were right she had a boy. I'm pregnant again with a girl but are unsure the heartrate my midwife never tells you ill ask when I see the specialist they always tell you will be interesting to see if its 140+
Just got told heartrate was 160 and I know im having a girl very interesting.
I have had two ultrasounds and both times the heart rate was 190bpm.  The second ultrasound was at around 10 weeks.  The ultrasound lady said that I must have a humming bird in there. :-)
I'm having twin girls.
At my 11 week ultrasound their heartbeats were in the 170s.
Now at 33 weeks, it ranges from 140-150s.

As soon as my dr heard the heartbeats she said, those are girls.
But ofcourse it's just an old wives tale, so i wouldnt go out and buy all pink just yet.
Every baby is different.

:D

CONGRATS!
hi when i wass pregnant with my son his heart beat was always in the 140 but i'm pregnant again and its always in the 160s which is very diff. i know with every pregnancy its diff but i really hope i get my baby girl :) <3