Maternal & Child Community
Fetus dying in utero

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fetus dying in utero

I had an ultrasound when I was 8 weeks and the baby's heartbeat was normal. Everything was normal. I went in for my next checkup today and I'm on my 12th week. The doctor could not find a heartbeat so he did another ultrasound. There was no heartbeat and he said the baby stopped growing at 9 weeks. That's what the measurements claim. That would have been about 3 weeks ago that the baby would have died. I still have pregnancy symptoms. I have had no cramping and no bleeding. I'm suppose to go in for a D&C in the morning but I want a second opinion after reading some other stories. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
I'm sorry for what you are going through. I know how tough it can be. Last year I went in for a 7 week scan to find out that the baby stopped growing at five weeks. I didn't have any cramping or spotting either. I was sent home to m/c naturally, but my body didn't cooperate and I had to have a D&C. I had no symptoms at all, so I knew something wasn't quite right from the beginning. I still requested a second opinion right before my D&C to put my own mind at ease. If you feel you need to have another opinion and another ultrasound, by all means request one and don't let them tell you no. It's your right to have another opinion. Again, I am very sorry and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.
I had two ultrasounds within 4 days, due to changing doctors.  The babies (twins) were 9 weeks 1 day old at the first ultrasound, and their hearts were beating.  At the second one (9 weeks 5 days) the hearts had stopped.  Measurements said they stopped at about 9 weeks 2 days.  It took me a couple of weeks and another ultrasound to really believe it was true.  I waited to miscarry naturally, which happened 4 weeks later.  Not until about the third week did I have any symptoms of miscarriage, just symptoms of pregnancy.  (The placenta, at that stage, gives you your pregnancy symptoms, and the placenta is its own organ, and does not stop the second the babies' hearts do.)  

You certainly are not in a position to need to rush a D&C, but you have some pretty compelling evidence (the measurements and the lack of a heartbeat) that it is true, I am so very sorry to say.  If you do opt to wait and miscarry naturally, just watch for signs of infection (fever) and heavy bleeding.  If you get those, go right to the ER.
Mischa,  so many of us know what you're going through.  I had two early miscarriages of embryos,  one at 9 weeks and one at 6 weeks,  and I was grateful to have been encouraged to miscarry naturally at home.

You never know,  otherwise.  You might wonder if you had made the right decision,  maybe the embryo was still alive.

I don't think you need to rush this.    Take time,  and wait.

If the embryo is truly no longer alive, you will miscarry.    I would have hated to have rushed my decision,  and always wondered if the doctors were wrong.

Prayers for you.  This is hard,  and sad.
thankyou. I did go ahead and go in this morning and had the D&C done. My mom said when I was waking up I screamed for my baby. They had to hold me down until I fell asleep. I am sad but I have 3 healthy children who are my world. I also lost one around 4 months and was able to know he was a boy. He would be 6 yrs old now if he would have survived. We were able to do a private ceremony for his death. This one was too small to know what it was. Our hospital here is catholic and once a year the funeral homes donate a small casket for miscarried babies. They bury all the babies together in this casket and bury them in October which we will have ours next month. It's nice to know that even though their sex is not known they can still be buried like the rest of us. I will be able to feel better knowing that the community cares about my baby as well as others who lost theirs.
I'm so sorry.  

Another way you can be certain that you did not mistake the situation is that a Catholic hospital would never allow a D&C to be performed if there was any chance that the embryo was still viable.  They would simply not do it until the situation was certain.
Good luck with your healing.
i had just found out 2day at my 11week scan my baby/fetus/embryo had stop growing at around 6weeks and the size of my sac indicates i am 8weeks, i had no idea as i have no symptoms, no pains, no spotting/blood. i just wanted to share this story as an extra for anybody else out there going through the same experience. And i am also glad to find this form to find people who have gone through this experience already. my heart is broken and i feel that now reading your messages through i am not alone and this does happen. i shall b having an op next week if my miscarriage does not come naturally, as the doc has informed me that if it is not removed or does not miscarry its then it may form into an infection which may later cause later infertility. :'( my heart and love goes out to all!!! much love x x x
I also went in for my 9week 5 day ultra sound.To find out that the baby had no heart beat.Just 3 weeks before the baby had a strong heart.I had the ultra sound doctor show me there was no heart beat,because I couldn't believe it.I have had no pains,no bleeding just some discharge.The doctor told me it was a yeast infection.Its so hard to believe I have had 2 healthy pregnancy I just can't figure out what happened.I'm so heart broken.I see the doctor in three days.I'm not sure what to ask for.D&C or to allow it to go natural.I'm not sure I could deal with passing the baby myself,it was hard enough to see that it is gone.My heart goes out to all the strong mothers who has dealt with loosing a child.