Maternal & Child Community
Fever that last for 4 1/2 days now

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fever that last for 4 1/2 days now

I have a 5 year old son that`s been having a fever from 100-103 at times.
It started on Tuesday night and still has a fever. We took him to his Doc on Wednesday morning and she told us that he doesn`t have an ear,stomach,or a throat infection. So we just continued to alternate motrin and tylenol. But it seems like every time the medicine worns out his fever strikes back up. So with no improvement, we took him to the ER (Thurs.), becuase I tought maybe it was to early to determine if he has any infection. So we were at the ER, they took my son`s temp and took us right away, when we saw the doc, he told us the same thing. My husband and I are really concern, it`s been 5 days that my son has a fever. Only the Tylenol and Motrin keeps the temperature down. I really need advice. I dont know what else to do. I can`t get any sleep because I don`t want to sleep and the next thing you know my son has a fever of 103.6
PLEASE HELP!!! His doc said if my son still has a fever till Monday t bring him back and they will run some test. Shouldn`t they do that in the beginning???
PLEASE HELP!'.
A fever of 103.6 can be alarming to a parent but, by itself, is not something to worry much about.  The key thing is to be sure your son is getting enough fluids so he's not dehydrated.  My children's pediatrician advises differently than yours and, while I don't want to imply that your doctor is wrong or that you should change what you're doing, it's always good to have as much information as possible.  

Our pediatrician recommends the following:  

-Don't treat a fever until the temperature is normal, treat it until your child is comfortable - a fever kills germs and does not need to be eradicated by medication.

-Don't wake your child to check his temperature.

-Don't alternate between acetaminophen and ibuprofen - it has not been shown to be more effective in lowering temperatures.

-Fevers will not lead to brain damage or death, even at levels of 104 - 106.

-Call the doctor if your child has had a fever for more than 3 days.

The biggest problem you may have encountered with seeking help from your doctor and ER is that your son hadn't had the fever for very long and they may not have been able to find anything yet.  I would recommend calling your doctor's office again today and talk to the doctor on call about the situation.  Your doctor (and the ER) may have been somewhat dismissive because your son didn't have the fever for more than 3 days.  At this point, you should definitely try to find out what's going on - and they ought to be more willing to try to find a cause.  The doctor may choose to not have you wait until Monday and have you get testing done today.  Go ahead and get some sleep - you don't need lack of sleep adding to your worries right now.
yes, they should have!  a fever is the way a body fights infection, so the meds may actually be keeping it alive, but if u stop, the fever could escalate to the point that it takes ur son b4 the infection.  this is a long time for such a little man to have such a high fever, and it could be caused by any kind of bacteria from anywhere.  be thankful that his body is fighting and any change that is not an improvement you should bring him straight to the ER!  i suggest recruiting some help to watch over his progress so u and ur husband can rest also.  it doesn't help to be out of ur whits if he needs u, but i know, can u trust someone else to montior him?  but, try, please!  
i don't want to scare u, but it could get worse b4 it gets better.  my daughter got a fever when she was 2, stomach virus from day care.  in the middle of the night it spiked and she began to hallucinate!  screaming bugs every where, i called the MDs 24 hr hot line and they told me to wait til morning to bring her in, so we gave her Motrin and put her in a cold bath.  the fever did eventually come down and i woke up to call the MDs for an emergency visit, and they actually had the nerve to threaten me with CPS for not getting her to the ER the night b4!  with such little sleep and the horror of the night b4, i lost my temper on the receptionist, got my daughter to the ER, then found a new MD
good luck to you!
my friends baby just had a fever high for a few days
doc told her it was a virus and then her other kids got it too!
The baby could not eat because it hurt his tongue too!
Good Luck