Maternal & Child Community
Fibroids and Miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fibroids and Miscarriage

I was wondering if anyone here knows about fibroids and their relation to miscarriage. i went to my final U/S just to confirm that thepregnancy is NOT viable, and I saw the radiologist marked 3 fibroids on the scan. Ive had lots of U/s and no one told me I had fibroids. could my 2 miscarriages be due to the fibroids? if so what is the solution? thanks
i'm sorry nobodys getting back to ya. did you search the internet? so they did see fibroids on the scan. My cousin had fibroids and had them removed, she did have a miscarriage and then a healthy full term daughter. not sure though when all this took place (fibroids) if her miscarriage was before or after they were removed. i'll try to ask her and get back to ya. Did your doc recommend taking them out before trying again? if i were you i'd do alot of research on it, and decide from there. you don't want to chance any more miscarriages . try posting this question in the infertility,fertility thread. i bet you'll get alot of responses. still though research alot. i will try getting a hold of her and defineately get back to ya. i'm sorry Lily :(
Lily,  I had a fibroid over 5 years ago-  mine was the size of a soft ball or large grapefruit...  it was larger then my uterus...  I did find out about it because of a pregnancy...  I lost that pregnancy, but the loss was due to genetics, not the fibroid.  About a month after th miscarriage I had the fibroid (s) (they found 2 smaller ones that they removed to) removed...  3 years later I had a healthy daughter-  since then I have had one more miscarriage and now another healthy pregnancy (I am 29 weeks)...  what I have been told is that the fibroids shouldn't cause a miscarriage unless maybe they are in the inside of the uterus-  more common problems with this is that the fibroid will be blocking the opening from your tubes to your uterus, or there are too many on the inside surface that the baby can not inplant...  these things are not miscarriages, just infertility...  mine was on the outside of the uterus (the large one)...  what I was told by my doctors is that they can grow with hormones and during a pregnancy they can get quite large, in my situation they were concerned that had I not lost the baby I might not have been able to carry to full term easily as the baby might have run out of room...  which is why I had mine removed before I tried to get pregnant...   I think they are hereditary-  have you talked to your mom to see if she had them---  I never knew my mom did until I had mine discovered....   she had so many by the time she was 33 she opted to just have her uterus removed---  she already had 3 children by the point...  

so the short answer is that I don't think they cause miscarriages, but I would recommend having them removed before you start to try again....  the doctors will tell you that it is similar to a c-section, but don't let that scare you---  my c-section years later was way easier then the surgery-  but it was worth it so that I had peice of mind during my healthy pregnancies....  

I am so sorry you are dealing with this-  it was a lot to handle when I think back on it-  not only losing a child, but having to deal with other issues on top of it... again,  I am so sorry for your loss...  and I wish you luck in the future...  
I think I'm going to ask that question to my Dr. At my 1st u/s the tech said, " do you have problems w/fibroids" I said, HUH? and that was about it.....I've had 2m/c also.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I have an appointment with my doc. and I'll definitely ask her about my fibroids. The radiologist who did the scan  didnt know much about the answer. for now, i'll just have to wait to miscarry and then follow up with all of these issues. Kellym we can exchange our doctor's opininon on this.
I actually am 13 weeks pregnant right now so I have sustained this pregnancy. I still will inquire at the next visit. I swear they are on a need to know or ask basis aren't they!
They found out that I had a fibroid also but the doc said it wasn't in a position to cause problems.  Then again, you know I had 4 miscarriages but I don't think the fibroid was the cause.