First Trimester VERY sick
My daughter-in-law is in her first trimester.  This is her second pregnancy with two previous miscarriages.  Dr. has her on progesterone (not sure of the dosage).  She is extremely nauseated (no vomiting) and almost immobilized with sickness to the point that she has to have help in during the day to take care of her child.  Dr wants her to stay on progesterone through first trimester.  Initially told her that the med is not causing this but now says it is a possibility.  She has not gotten a second opinion.  I realize that women have differing degrees of sickness typically during the first trimester, but this is more than anything I have heard of and we are very concerned for her (and the baby
Hi there! First of all, congratulations to your daughter-in-law on her pregnancy.

I just gave birth on Tuesday to my second daughter (daughter #1 is only 15 months!).

Tell your daughter-in-law that I totally sympathize with her...the sickness in my first trimester was the WORST...I had it for both of my pregnancies! I felt extremely nauseous but also did not have any vomiting. I could barely stand up because I felt very sick and weak. My appetite went way down and I swore I would die!

Seeing she has a history of miscarriages, I must say that this sickness is a GREAT thing...I am an expert in the field and they say that the sicker you are, the healthier the pregnancy. I kid you not. The sickness usually subsides around 10-12 weeks for most people (me included!) and sometimes comes back in the later part of the 3rd trimester, though this is not common.

I can offer her a WONDERFUL rememdy for the sickness that many women I know have tested to be great...Ginger! If she doesn't like the taste of fresh ginger, you can pick up ginger tablets at any natural foods store or place that sells supplements.

Let me know if this works!! Best of luck to your family. Let me know if you have any other questions.
You might want to try ginger candies too.  It actually tastes pretty good!
I am currently 37 weeks, and i had severe morning sickess from 6 to 23 weeks. I too had m/c's and this was the first pregnancy that i ever had morning sickness with. I tried C bands, ginger candies, zofran, and phenergan, and nothing worked. In the beginning I just felt sick all day and could'nt throw up, but eventually I began to throw up constantly. It got so bad that I had to get a pic line placed in my arm and recieve home health care daily. I recieved all of my vitamins and medications through the pic line, and could'nt eat any solid foods. Eventually the sickness got a little better with the pic line but I still felt miserable. Hopefully her sickness wont get as bad as mine and maybe she could try zofran. If her insurance dosent cover it i can be very expensive ($50 a pill) but alot of women on the forum have used it successfully!

best of luck,
Tiffany
Congrats!!!
I was sick from 6-17wks!!W/this pg.
W/ my first I was sick from 6-12wks (much easier LOL)
He was healthy & w/this pg everything is going great.
I read (about 2yrs ago)that sickness is a good sign your body is doing what it should, something about the insulin in your body regulating itself w/ the pg, so I always tried to think of that on the worst days :) Good Luck!!!
I used zofran for some relief. I was able to get samples from my doctor. Don't worry about the baby at this point. It will get what it needs even if she doesn't eat. I was sick from week 7-19 and lost weight and I had a healthy baby girl that was almost 9 lbs.

Another thing that really helped me was crushed ice. I had a snowcone maker and would eat just plain slushie ice and it would relieve the gag reflex and make me feel a bit better while I was eating it. My husband would make me cup after cup of it and I just kept eating it.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know how your DIL feels. I am pregnant w/ my 3rd. I was complaining about not having morning sickness. Well it has hit me like a ton of bricks. I am just getting out of bed and it is 4pm in NY. I have a 23month old and it is really hard trying to keep up with his regular routine. My oldest is 9yrs old and he is a great help. With my last pregnancy I slept with a bucket by the bed. I would throw up and pee on myself at the same time (what a mess I was). Please tell your DIL it does get better. Some women cope w/ MS better than others. If she has never had it before, then she really didn't know what to expect. Look on the bright side, alot of women claim that MS is a sign of a health pregnancy!!! Congratulations again and STICKY BABY DUST~~~~~~~
I didn't feed my family anything but frozen food(that's if they were lucky) and I ignored them from the sofa where i lay woozy and exhausted for weeks 6 thru 13. I couldn't imagine taking care of a baby or toddler  in that state (mine are 9 and 11 and know how to cook soup and make sandwiches; my DH took us out a lot). You could get it just from having it, don't know about the progesterone--. I never vomited but was always disgusted by food, nauseated to death, dizzy, crabby and unable to focus. It's normal for many pregnant women but yes I am sure the girl needs help! At least for a while. Nice you're there for her!  I lost 6 lbs btw but as long as you're not dehydrating (vomiting) and keeping the prenatals down they kind of expect that. Good luck!