Maternal & Child Community
First period after DnC- cramping?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

First period after DnC- cramping?

i miscarried at 7 weeks and had a dnc a week later (april 23rd) as my hcg levels werent dropping had follow up after dnc and all was fine doc said i should get my period around 4 weeks..for the past 2 days i ve been experiencing SEVERE cramping really bad but no bleeding i ve been taking panadol which makes it bearable but its pretty uncomfortable - lower abdominal and right down to my tail bone  comes in waves woke up in the night last night  is this normal?? anyone else had this? will i start to bleed soon or why hasnt it started? i ve been expecting a heavy first period but i m starting to wonder why i have such severe cramping and no bleeding...
Ok. Well regarding your cycle...a pregnancy resulting in either a live birth or miscarriage can in fact alter your cycle. A menstrual is mostly revolved around ovulation. This is why birth control is used. It controls your ovulation. Sometimes if you don't ovulate, you don't have a cycle. When it comes to your situation, you may have ovulated at a later date than normal due to the miscarriage. Ask your MD, they'll confirm that. So I'd wait a couple of more weeks. You said you took a pregnancy test and it was negative. If your cycle does not come within the next 2 weeks, take another one. If it's still negative, call your MD and notify them of the changes. But as long as you are not having any other symptoms, I would just let nature take it's course.
It takes 4-6 weeks on adverage for you cycle to return after a miscarriage. The other question would be; Have you had unprotected sex since your D&C?
well i m thinking it will be nearer the 4 week side as my cycle was like clock work (28days) before the miscarriage but then i guess i can t make the assumption that i ll have the same type of cycle afterwards  we have had unprotected sex (and one condom failure) but not around the time  i 'think' i was ovulating - normally i  know but wasn t so sure this month
so i just did a hpt just in case and its def negative
thanks for the info! after hcg drops to 0 do you know how long after that you ovulate??  my hcg 2 weeks after D and C was at 6 ( that was on May 6th)   also if i havent ovulated this first cycle does that mean it will be 4 or more weeks before i get my first period?   the pain and cramping stopped on thursday but still no bleeding..
Typically, MD's want to see your HCG level drop to 5 or below for a complete miscarriage (meaning there's no tissue left over in the uterus). I'm pretty sure you're at that now. Usually after the levels are back to "normal" you will ovulate 7-14 days later. But it is very possible not to ovulate as well. You can very well skip a month behind your miscarriage and it still be deemed normal. It all depends on your body and how well it "bounces back" so to speak. I think you'll be fine either way. Just keep an eye out, get plenty of rest, eat balanced meals and try not to stress too much. I'm not sure if you were trying to get pregnant again or not, but taking care of your body after a miscarriage is just as important as when you are pregnant. Let me know if I can help any further!
So i m back again - and still no AF! maybe i m too aware of it not coming and delaying it even more.. ?
my first pregnancy wasn t planned but we ve decided we do want a baby :) we don t want to get pregnant right away  (but if it happens it happens) and the gyne who did my follow up appointment on May  6th advised me to go on birth control for as long as i want and that i could start it anytime even before i get my first period. however i decided i wanted to have a natural cycle first if i do decide to start birth control again
but my cycle isnt coming..  am i too impatient?
i started miscarrying april 19th  (D/c april 26th but cervix was closed so it think they just did aspiration for small Poc)
Anyway I ve had a horrible metallic taste in my mouth for the past week so i did a hpt and negative  and i ve no signs of pregnancy or pms for that matter - boobs soft and floppy etc!
It was actually this same metallic taste that i had in march - 6 days before my period was due - that caused me to suspect i was pregnant in the first place and i tested positive straight away 8DPO
Also when i had my follow up with the gyne  he said the pathology report showed some abnormality so he scheduled me for a copolscopy for June 8th so i guess i can ask him then whatevers happened to my cycle
maybe as you said i didnt even ovulate this cycle and my system is just thrown off after the miscarriage..
Any thoughts?
The abnormal pap smear could very well affect your cycle. But you have so many things going on at once (miscarriage, D&C, abnormal pap, & stress) that it all can be taking a toll on your body. All of this can even cause you not to ovulate. Also, a small percentage of woman end up with inflammation/infection after a D&C. This may be the cause of your abnormal pap. I wouldn't go on birth control just yet (but that's my opinion), at least not until the colposcopy and my first natural period. Please keep me posted on the outcome. I wish you the best.
well i had the colposcopy which confirmed the widespread CIN2 and he has scheduled me for the LEEP procedure for next month
I asked him about my cycle still not returning and he didnt seem concerned at all.
However since my appointment over the past few days i experienced similiar type cramping as i had approximately a month ago, althought not as bad  partly seeming to be digestive - but my bowels were moving normally and tender all over lower abdomen
do you think its a coincidence that it seems to be a month ago? and is indeed nothing to do with my cycle?
i haven t experienced any other pm symptoms like tender breasts etc
maybe AF is just taking longer  than most peoples to come back?
its around 8-9 weeks now tho!
i didnt start the birth control and have done a hpt which was negative
i ve also been charting my temps to try and see whats happening and i appeared to ovulate both months  - but this is my first time charting so i don t know how accurate it is,,
May I ask what CIN2 is?  Oh, and what is the LEEP procedure?