Maternal & Child Community
First period after breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

First period after breastfeeding

I breastfed my son for 8.5 months.  I started to spot at the 10th month mark, but thats all that is coming out - for days now.  Shouldn't I have started bleeding by now instead of just spotting...unless this is normal for the first period?  I know its a vaque question but, when "should" things start to look normal or is this cause for worry?
I spotted for my first period for only a day or two.  Then 4 weeks later I had my first real period.  It was about 1.5 months after I stopped breast feeding.  My doctor said give it 3 months before I needed to come in and see her about it.
Got my first AF 16 weeks PP.  I was exclusively breastfeeding so I was shocked (and upset) that I got it so soon.  Mine went right back to normal from the first period but my sister's was spotting for a couple of periods (she was even wondering if it was a period at all).
Everyone's different. I got my 1st Af while I was still breastfeeding both my girls- once at 5 months post partum and the other at 4 month PP. Both times they were very "normal" periods.
The spotting is usually a 'warning' period.
It is usually and infertile cycle that lets you know you will soon ovulate...in the next 2 weeks or so....