Aa
A
A
Close
First period after breastfeeding
I breastfed my son for 8.5 months.  I started to spot at the 10th month mark, but thats all that is coming out - for days now.  Shouldn't I have started bleeding by now instead of just spotting...unless this is normal for the first period?  I know its a vaque question but, when "should" things start to look normal or is this cause for worry?
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
102086 tn?1190513046
I spotted for my first period for only a day or two.  Then 4 weeks later I had my first real period.  It was about 1.5 months after I stopped breast feeding.  My doctor said give it 3 months before I needed to come in and see her about it.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Everyone's different. I got my 1st Af while I was still breastfeeding both my girls- once at 5 months post partum and the other at 4 month PP. Both times they were very "normal" periods.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Got my first AF 16 weeks PP.  I was exclusively breastfeeding so I was shocked (and upset) that I got it so soon.  Mine went right back to normal from the first period but my sister's was spotting for a couple of periods (she was even wondering if it was a period at all).
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
158812 tn?1189759426
The spotting is usually a 'warning' period.
It is usually and infertile cycle that lets you know you will soon ovulate...in the next 2 weeks or so....
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources