Maternal & Child Community
First time mom - newborn that won't breastfeed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello ladies,

I need help.  I had my healthy and beautiful baby girl on 10/12.  I was discharged the next day and during the night tried to breastfeed.  She and I were both learning and although she did get some food I was worried that she was not getting enough and so I gave her a bottle.  Big mistake, because after that she only wants bottles.  I really want to breastfeed her, but she seems "disgusted" by my breasts.  I am starting to take it personally.  Any tips on what I can do?

Thanks,
i wouldnt take it personally. i seriously doubt she's trying to offend you :) one thing that worked for us was waiting till she's getting sleepy, then try feeding. odds are she either won't know the difference or won't care by that point.
I had a similar problem and the nurses at the hospital gave me a couple syringes and long thin tubes that attached to them (they screwed on where a needle would go otherwise). I was told to fill the syringe with breastmilk and then hold the end of the tube so that as he tried to latch on to my nipple he got the tube as well (be sure it's just a little bit) and so as he tried to nurse he was rewarded with easier milk flow. I'd let him get started & then slip the tube out he'd continue & then actually be breastfeeding. If he got frustrated I'd put the tube back in place for him and try again a few minutes later. It took a few days but he got the hang of it. During this time I tried NOT to give him any bottles (that was difficult!) Within a week he would take either breast or bottle with no hesitation and that was the best of both worlds. I'd call your pediatrician's office or even the Maternity Ward if you don't want to wait. They might give you the supplies or at least tell you where you can purchase them. A pharmacist might also have them available for purchase, I don't know. Good luck!
OMG,that happened to me but it was in the hospital.With my first,I told them I wanted to breast feed.He was born with a heart murrmur & was token away that whole day for tests.I would tell them to bring him & they would forget.At 11:30 in the night they brought him, he had alredy drank BOTTLE all day!!I was soo upset.I tried the whole night even skipping double feeding still he did'nt want it  he would gag & turn away.He would cry I would cry & the st**id nurses still tryed to make ME feel bad.I gave up after 2 awful days & just gave him bottle.I pumped & feed him breast milk atleast he was drinking it.I hope you have a better outcome but if not still give breast milk in the bottle...good luck..nanis
I had problems feeding my children also. Don't give up, it might take some work, but you both will get there. With me, the more tense I got the more upset the baby got and then wouldn't eat. I know it may be hard, but try and relax as much as possible. Also, maybe try feeding in different positions. My 3rd would only eat in a certain position in the begining. I also bought a book called 'So thats what they are for'. It was a great book and really helped me. And most bigger hospitals have a lactation consultant there in the hospital. You can always call them and they can give you some tips or come over to your house to help.
Don't take it personaly, most babies in the begining would rather have a bottle just because it's easier. They use a lot more muscles to breastfeed than they do with a bottle. They can get kinda lazy. But once they figure out how to nurse they see that it's much better than a bottle and they will want it all the time.
Good luck and congrats on the new baby!!
Do get back in touch with your lactation consultant asap.  They will give you all kinds of help.
1. I know it is frustrating - but both of you will get the hang of it with practice and A LOT of patience.

2.  Do call the lactation consultant at the hospital - they are so helpful - sometimes just changing the baby's position helps her latch on and get going. The football hold always worked for me when the normal one didn't.

3.  When you are engorged it can be hard for both of you - so if you have to - try pumping and giving her that.

4.  If she isn't sucking - try massaging her cheek - that stimulates a reflex to suck.

5.  If she is falling asleep - try undressing her - tickling her feet or lightly tapping on her feet to stir her awake.

6.  It gets SO much easier when you aren't engorged and she is in the right mood for it. Maybe try feeding her a little before it is time to feed so she isn't starving and frustrated?

Mostly - just hang in there. I understand your frustration and cut yourself a break. Between hormones, sleep deprivation, physical yuckiness from trying to recover and get used to swollen and painful breasts - it is all hard!  You did a good thing by reaching out for help - hang in there.
I breastfed my baby girl til she was 13 months and i wouldve never guessed that long after that torturous first month!  Hang in there.  I would stop with the bottles and just push the breast.  She will go to if hungry enough.  You will not starve her.  When my daugther had diffculty latching on, I went to a couple la leche meetings.  they were a great support.  Just know they are 100% for hte breast and can be a little extreme but they know what they are doing.
the best of luck!!!!
The exact same thing happened to me when my son was born, and it was very upsetting.  He wouldn't breastfeed, so as a nervous first-time mother I gave in and let him have bottles.  After two weeks of pumping and bottlefeeding I gave up entirely on the breastfeeding, and have regretted it ever since.  I don't have any particular suggestions for you, but my advice is-don't give up!  Eventually she will have to get the hang of it.
WELL....I HAD TO PUMP.  IT WAS SO HARD FOR MY BABY TO LATCH ON AND LIKE ANOTHER PERSON SAID BEFORE I WOULD CRY AND SHE WOULD CRY.  IT WAS AWEFUL.  SO I PUMPED AND BOUGHT A CHEAP $60.00 PUMP FROM TARGET.  WORKED FINE I THOUGHT THEM MY MILK GOT LOW SO I BOUGHT A DIFFERENT PUMP.  SAME THING.  I TALKED TO A LACTITION AND SHE SAID I NEEDED TO MAKE SURE I HAD A GOOD PUMP IT WAS DESIGNED TOTALLY DIFFERNT AND YOU WILL PUMP ENOUGH TO KEEP YOUR MILK.  I WAS DESPERATE I BOUGHT IT FOR $257.00..USED IT FOR ONE WEEK AND MY MILK DRIED UP.  I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE GOOD PUMP TO BEGIN WITH AND I MAY STILL BE BREAST FEEDING TO THIS DAY.  SAD......SO NOW I HAVE A PUMP I HAVE NO USE FOR.  I AM THINKING OF SELLING IT.  ANYWAYS DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH A CHEAP PUMP IF YOU ONLY PUMP.  GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
I would hang in there if you can, call all the experts you can.  Public health nurse, lactation coach, La Leche League, friends who were successful nursers.

Cabbage leaves are great for engorgement, I know it sounds wierd, but there is an enzyme that eases the pressure.  And the cold leaves feel very good on sore breasts.  They gave me this tip at the maternity hospital.