Maternal & Child Community
First time mommy and need some info on immunizations!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hey ladies!  I have been talking with my hubby about vacinations(sp?).  I have hear that some people do not give their babies all the shots and stuff.  I'm just wondering why it is so bad to give them all the shots they are recommened or why your wouldn't do that for your children.  Is it religious, is it... I don't I guess I would just like to know why or why not give your babies all the vacinations and why and why not.  I would love some imput, thanks ladies!
I never really researched this issue prior to having my son because I assumed that the doc wouldn't give a child something that is not safe, right?!? So, good for you for starting early!  We never had an issue with any of the vaccinations my son has recvd but a neighbor of mine swears that a combo vaccine was the start of her grandson's autism.  There are a lot of people that think vaccines play a major role in autism.  I'm really not sure either way.  It's best to talk to your pediatrician and go over what is necessary and what can wait or isn't really needed.  Some articles I have read suggested adjusting the vaccine schedule based on the babies gestational age, but then there are some articles that say it's not necessary.  Just something to keep in mind since you probably won't be carrying to full term.

On a side note... I don't have multiples so I really can't offer too much advice to you but I have a friend that had triplet boys after having three other children and she was telling me she purchased three of EVERYTHING (bouncers, swings, highchairs, etc).  She soon realized there wasn't really a need to do so because they didn't want to all do the same thing at once and/or they may not have liked the swing at all.  Just something to keep in mind as you get to the job of shopping for all your amazing babies.  
For me, Vaccinations are a really worrisome issue.  Not only have some other women on our forums here lost their little blessings because of Vaccinations that made their babies sick - but I've met a few in real life.  More so, after my 2nd daughter got the Hep B shot, she developed Viral Meningitis, and it was the doctors and the hospital that stated they thought it was from the shot because of the timing... She was 6 weeks old!  My first daughter had the "Chicken pox" vaccine... yeah... that didn't do any good, she's had Chicken Pox (although mild cases) about 6 times in the last 13 years!

Now I have a new pediatrician and I have been talking to the husband and expressed my concern to him and the doctor, and we agreed to wait on the vaccinations that are necessary to make sure that Liliths immune system can handle them better.  So we'll see how things turn out from here.
DH and I  also will be holding off on the hep. b shot when our son is born. I feel like coming out of the womb and getting the very necessary shots right away is work enough! I just don't feel that he needs that one right away. I agree with ImmortalOne that their little systems need time to strengthen.

The MMR shot is given as a combo shot and I also know people personally and online that blame their MMR for their children's autism. It is said that the shot given as a 3 in 1 is just TOO much for their systems. I plan to talk to my pediatrician about getting my little one the shots in 3 seperate doses so not to expose him to so much all at once.

And the chicken pox vaccine. It drives me batty! I've worked with kids for between 6 and 7 years. The kids who got the vaccine ended up getting the chicken pox and getting them more than once. Usually only in mild outbreaks, but contagious, itchy outbreaks nonetheless. The kids who are not vaccinated get them once, yes it sucks...but they don't get them again! The worst time to get chicken pox is as an adult. But the shot wears off long before adulthood! A booster is needed by around ages 10-13 and then that booster runs out around age 18. So adults aren't even protected by it!!

Also the Hep A shot is very new and not very researched. There are some pretty negative side effects to that vaccine and many doctors will tell you that they don't even recommend it at this point.  Besides...that strand of hepatitis is pretty rare anyhow.

Sorry to ramble on...but those are my reasons for the shots that I am choosing not to give my baby and/or the ones I am choosing to delay! You will hear from lots of people that you cannot send your child to school without vaccinations, but you absolutely can! It is your right!!!  Just make sure to do your research before you choose one way or another on the subject. I didn't write all this to persuade you NOT to do immunizations, I just wanted to tell you why I personally am choosing not to! :)
thanks for the info Jess!

sorry, short posts, cuddletime w/ sleepy Lilith
Go cuddle, you dork! lol
My daughter has had all of her shots up until her 1 yr checkup. My husband is VERY against it...as many people have addressed the same concerns as he does. Their systems still need time to develop. We have been researching it and many docs recommend waiting until they are 2 yrs old to give them shots.

The amount of shots have TRIPLED since i was a baby (1979)....

We do want our daughter to get them...but space them out a bit...

I addressed the concerns to our doc. They are not 'happy' about this and do not agree...but we're the parents we have every right to make the decision. My DD did not get her shots at a yr. I had to sign a paper saying that I rejected it.

The only problem is finding the 'perfect' schedule right now.

Also...FYI....you have the choice to order the shots separately...BUT..you have to pay for it..but i think it's worth it...it is your child we're talking about..

Let us know what you decide...this is a HUGE topic now-a-days....MANY moms/dads feel this way....
Thanks ladies, when I first heard someone not giving their babies all the shots I thought, oh my gosh that is horrible but once I heard more I got sort of consurned!  I think that waiting for their immune systems to develope better is a must better thing than just going for it way too early. I know it will have to be prefect for my babies and I'm sure they will tell me what they recommend.  I will have to talk to my new doctor once we get moved.  Oh by the way my CVS's should be back soon, I can't wait to make sure the babies are healthy and find out the sex of all 5 of them.  I'm just hoping daddy gets a boy and I'm really hoping the baby we lost isn't a boy(for daddy's sake)!  Thanks ladies!