Flu Shot During Pregnancy
Just wondering if it is okay to get a flu shot while you are pregnant.  I have read that some doctors say not to get one and my doctor said I could get one.  I am 30 weeks pregnant.  Don't know what I should do...I usually get a shot every year.
I am 17 wks preg and get one every year as well and my doctor said it was fine.
I got one when I was pg--but I don't have any specific knowledge about it.  If your doc said it was ok, and you want it, I would go ahead.
I have a friend that's a nurse and she was at my son's wrestling practice the other night giving all of the parents their flu shots...I told her that there's a chance that I might be pregnant and she said then I cannot have a flu shot. I think she said NO WAY in the first trimester.  She'll be there tonight and I'll get her to explain to me exactly why she said NO flu shot.
I found this---you should be ok at 30 weeks...

"Pregnant moms are often overlooked as needing flu shots. Afterall, so many other things are restricted during pregnancy, including certain medications and foods, why would be a flu shot be okay?

But pregnant women are considered to be a high risk group and it is recommended that they get a flu shot if they will be past their first trimester (>14 weeks of gestation) during flu season, which is usually begins around November or December and continues through March and April in the United States.

Mothers with underlying high-risk conditions, such as diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure, etc, should get a flu vaccine regardless of their stage of pregnancy, while others should wait until after their first trimester.

Why should you get a flu shot?

The main reason is that you don't want to get the flu while you are pregnant, since it will put you at higher risk of flu complications, both for yourself and your baby.

Also, having a flu shot will decrease the chances your new baby will get sick once he or she is born. Afterall, without a flu shot, you can get sick with the flu and then pass the infection to your new baby.

It will also be hard to care for your baby if you get sick with the flu, which can cause fever, muscle aches, headache, severe malaise, nonproductive cough, sore throat, and runny nose, with some symptoms lingering for over two weeks.

For this reason, you should also consider getting a flu shot for other household contacts of yourself and your new baby. Remember that anyone over 6 months of age can get a flu shot each year.

Getting a flu shot during pregnancy can also help keep your baby healthy by transfering influenza vaccine-specific antibodies to them, which can last for 'for at least 2 months.'1 These antibodies should be able to help your new baby from getting the flu.

Thank you so much for the information.  I am going to go ahead and get the flu shot then.  

Christie:  Where do you find all of this information?  I swear, if you ever leave this forum we would not know what to do without you. :)

Thanks again
Ya know what?  I didn't even read where you said you're 30 weeks...sorry.  I'm sure you're fine to get one...Christie knows best.
I got a flu shot around 16-17 weeks or so cause my doc said I should - at 30 weeks, I'm sure it is fine to get one!
Just a reminder, flu shots are okay in the second and third trimesters, but not the NASAL vaccine. If you think you may be pg, avoid getting that one, even the commercial advises against it : )

BTW, I got the flu vaccine when pg with my son and have gotten one every year since (I will barely make the cut off this year, assuming the crud I have been dealing with for over a month wasn't a strain of the flu).

Andrea
hi i have a real concern... i gotthe flu shot on nov 3rd and i was due for my period on the 8th and it hasnt come yet so there is great chance i am pg is this gonna hurt my child with birth defects or abnorlamities?
Hey, what have you heard about getting the flu shot when you are 6 weeks pregnant.  A friend of mine went to her internal med doc. and the doctor gave her one.  Then, she went to the OBGYN and the were upset that the did that.  Thoughts...
I got a flu shot before I knew I was pregnant. I'm still waiting to talk to my doctor, but I just did some online research and found this information on the CDC website:

"Because the flu shot is made from inactivated viruses (the viruses are killed), many experts consider flu shots safe during any stage of pregnancy.  However, since miscarriages (spontaneous abortion) most often occur in the first trimester of pregnancy, experts have traditionally not given a flu shot during the first trimester to avoid a coincidental association with miscarriage."

So it doesn't look like the baby will have any issues from the flu shot.

I was debating the flu shot for two weeks and today I finally got one through my OBGYN.  Has anyone else gotten a flu shot that is pregnant?  I was nervous because it was my first flu shot. I was also worried about the thimiserol in it, but evrything I read said that was alright also.  Anyone know anything else?
I found in babycenter.com that if you have any chronic illness you should get the flu shot even if you're in your first trimester.  The risks of getting the flu while you're pregnant outweights the risks of any problems emerging from the flu shot (which are slim to none) as per babycenter.
I hope this helps.
I hope this helps.
Hello All,

I am new to the group and just wanted to add what I found out today.  It just so happens that I too am wondering about the risks of getting a flu shot.  I live in Miami but will be traveling to Colorado and New Mexico in January.  Because those areas of the country of stricken with the flu, I wanted to ensure that I as well as my baby would be fine (I am currently 13 weeks pregnant).  I kept hearing conflicting stories about the flu shot.  I called the CDC (Government Agency for the Center for Disease Control).  They have a hotline with regards to any questions you may have concerning the flu and its vaccinations.  They informed me that the flu shot, according to them, is safe from day one of pregnancy.  They did say however, that many physicians would not administer this vaccine until after the first trimester.  They said that basically the flu will not hurt the baby, only put the mother at risk for complications.  Additionally, the vaccine is made of the latest componenets of the flu (however NOT of the current more deadly strand).  The antibodies in the vaccine are dead and therefore non-threatening to both mother and child.  If the flu doesn
Hello All,

I am new to the group and just wanted to add what I found out today.  It just so happens that I too am wondering about the risks of getting a flu shot.  I live in Miami but will be traveling to Colorado and New Mexico in January.  Because those areas of the country of stricken with the flu, I wanted to ensure that I as well as my baby would be fine (I am currently 13 weeks pregnant).  I kept hearing conflicting stories about the flue shot.  I called the CDC (Government Agency for the Center for Disease Control).  They have a hotline with regards to any questions you may have concerning the flu and its vaccination.  They informed me that the flue shot, according to them, is safe from day one of pregnancy.  They did say however, that many physicians would not administer this vaccine until after the first trimester.  They said that basically the flu will not hurt the baby, only put the mother at risk for complications.  Additionally, the vaccine is made of the latest strand of the flu (however NOT of the current more deadly strand).  The antibodies in the vaccine are dead and therefore non-threatening to both mother and child.  If the flu doesn
my docter had me get it when i was pg last time and im sure this time as well. I have never had any sorta reaction to it as i get it every year working in the health field.
I would watch what you read from all of the medical sites. I agree that it appears as if the pro's outweigh the con's, but people...  think about this.... ALL of our mothers, and their mother, and their mother's mothers did not have this flu shot or the 1000 other things they tell you to do, and we are all here, and we turned out fine.

The pharmaceutical industry is a BUSINESS.  Its purpose is to make MONEY.  

There is something that we've done in the last 20 years that is causing autism, and all of these mysterious miscarriages and infertility... so before you jump on the "I must get a flu shot" bandwagon, I would seriously think about the associated risks to your unborn child.  If something does come out later in life (autism, or any other kind of disease)... there's no real way to prove it. Even if there is, the pharma industry has a lot more money to fight the case than you do, and most likely, you won't win!

I say- the most natural things are best for us... Nature did not intend for our children to have 57 vaccines before kindergarten.  It's ridiculous.

I'm not saying to not vaccinate for CERTAIN diseases, but for common stuff that we've all had as kids (ie: chicken pox), I would say to omit that and trust your judgment...  
Just as the H1N1 shot "had to be given to infants and pregnant moms ASAP", and there were apparently "no side effects".  Bologna!
They recalled it a month later, and now what???  
Trust your common sense!!!
And remember to question your doctors and research this information. They rely on textbooks to teach them what is right/wrong, and when the medical community changes their opinions, they change, too.  They are soldiers, not pioneers.
This is sad, but true!!  
Look at what they said in the 70's... don't breastfeed, give your babies formula only, etc.
Don't listen to them without research!!
They change like the wind, and you'll blow which ever way they blow, if you listen to these people!!
I found out I was having a miscarriage, before knowing I was pregnant.  I had also just had a flu shot exactly 3 weeks prior.  I don't know if the 2 are connected at all.

Just passing my info along.  I also was on Chlomid to get pregnant.
I got a flu shot when I was 9 weeks pregnant.  I had been to the OBGYN for an ultrasound on a Monday, where I saw the baby measuring normal size for 9 weeks & with normal heartrate of 161 for that stage of development.  I got the combined flu/H1N1 shot 2 days later, on Wednesday, then went in the next day (Thursday) for another ultrasound and the baby had died - no longer had a heartbeat.  I have no proof that the flu shot caused the baby to die, and the doctors say there's no evidence that flu shots increase the risk of miscarriage, but the timing seems pretty suspicious.
I had a flu shot at 6w2d.  2 weeks later I went for my first ultrasound and they told me that the baby stopped growing at 6w2d.  Maybe it was from the shot and maybe it wasn't; but if I had it to do all over I would not have had the shot.  I have to live with the POSSIBILITY that it was my fault!!!!
Same thing-I was encouraged to get the flu shot from my OBGYN because he felt flu symptoms...I had just got a dopler healthy heartbeat ect. Got the shot and the next week they were inducing labor. 17 weeks along totally healthy pregnancy. Got flu shot and delivered my baby stillborn 9/25/10.
Something fishy about the 2010 flu shot?!?!?!?
Hello to all! Please help me! I am very desperate! I did 7sapatamini vaccine for influence in! and as I read of your experiences has been dangerous for the baby! My doctor said that her fiie it right! but I do not know what to think? Please write me if someone has made ​​vaccine at 7 weeks and not something serious happened to the baby! thank you to all