Flu Shot Pros/Cons
I went to the doctors awhile ago and told him i was getting a cold. he told me what to take and recomended i get a flu shot. i havent gotten a flu shot in years. and then i wind up getting one later on down the road anyways. so i just dont bother. At the last apointment he asked if i had gotten one yet and i told him no. he said ok, but u still might want to look into it.

do i really need to get one? im 30 weeks. do i want to be sick with the flu while im pregnant? cant i go without one? should i get one? what should i do?
I recommend you get the flu shot - I am almost 14 weeks and got mine yesterday as recommended by my OB/GYN.

If you get the flu while you are pregnant, there can be very severe complications for you and baby (including death).  You do NOT want to get the flu while pregnant.  A simple ***** will give you good immunity against the flu and could save a life - to me, that was a very clear-cut decision.

Some people are concerned about a preservative called "thimerosal" which is contained in some flu shots (although no evidence has been found that suggests that this causes harm).  However, you can ask for  the kind without it.
...I Guess the work p.r.i.c.k has to be censored.

As a side note, doctors typically know best -that comes from years of training.  I tend to follow my own doctors advice/recommendations.
spade said it well. the flu can cause many dangerous complications. it puts so many healthy, non-pregnant people in the hospital. imagine getting the flu and not being able to take all the meds to help you feel better. flu also often leads to dehydration which can lead to preterm labor.
it'll still be the tail end of flu season when you give birth, so you'll probably have to get it anyways. my ob had me get the flu shot this year so that i don't bring the flu home and give it to my baby.
alright ill get it. how do i go about getting 1? how come he didnt say it could have really bad complications if i didnt get it? grr.
they actually offer it at my ob's office.  if they don't at your's, do you have family doctor?  i haven't got mine yet either and i also have not had one in years.  but i think i will this time!
i have a peditrition. not sure why but i think he told me call the hospital or go there and they can do it. i dont kno. but my doctors office is closed now. my moms calling around to check for me.
ya, i'm pretty sure you can get it at the ob's office or your reg. doctor. they would usually reccommend anyone living with the newborn baby to get it as well b/c babies can't get the dhot until 6 months or so. its a good idea to get it.
my peditrition cant do it until jan 9 at 3:30 which i think is a little late. do hospitals do it?
The CVS near by does them. so i will go on monday and get it done. is there any reason i should be worried? the baby will be fine right? like no usual complications if i get the shot.
Yes, around here the local drugstores (and even Costco!) offer flu shots, but I got mine for free at my Ob's office.  I've gotten one every year, and this year's formula hurt a little more than in the past (my hubby said his did too), but it's well worth it to keep you and your baby safe.
You might get a bruise at the injection site and also your arm might be a little sore for a day or two, but it's no big deal.  Your baby can only benefit from the antibodies it will get from you that your body will make for fighting the flu after receiving the shot, and therefore your baby won't need a shot itself when born.  (My son just got his first flu shot this month now that he's a yr. old.  For toddlers they actually get a second booster shot in 4 weeks.)
my son had his flu shot last month at 10 months old. is he suppose to have a booster? because he pediatrician didnt say anything.
The benefits of getting a flu shot far outweigh any negatives - the American pregnancy association recommends ALL pregnant women get one, if that helps (regardless of how far along into the pregnancy they are).

One thing I forgot to add is the flu shot comes in egg protein so you cant get it if you are allergic to eggs.  A few hours after you get the shot your arm will be a little tender and some people get mild flu-symptoms while their body is producing the flu antibodies.
THe flu shot is more for you because the baby gets all of your antibodies and your immune system is low when you are PG.  
Bare in mind that complications from the flu (such as fever above 103 F) can be lethal to an unborn baby.  Antibodies will not save a baby against the threat of fever.
alright. no im not allergic to eggs. i love them :) so i will go on money to get it done. thanks everyone for the help.
I know. That's why I am saying  she should get it.  It's more for her to help protect herself and be healthy for the baby. =)
Van:  I misunderstood you.  Glad we are on the same page ;)

Others: Some areas actually offer free walk-in flu shots to high-risk people during flu session (pregnant women are in that category).  Its always worth while doing a quick google search to see if there is resource like that available for you  in your area (although its not something you should wait much longer to do).
We offer them at our hospital to all moms who have not had one during the pregnancy.  
yeah i called the hospital near by and told her what i needed and she said hold on, transfered me to Emergnecy...? not sure why and then that lady gave me an attitude like im the one who choose to call the emernency. grr she made me mad.

but i found a place thankfull and im getting it asap. its a wonder why the doctor (not ob) cant take me untill the 9th. thats far. concidering i am pregnant. but o well
I had a full-blown case of the flu during my 13th week of pregnancy and it was awful!  I should've gotten the shot, but hadn't even thought of it!  I'm glad you've decided to do it, Kim.
I also got the flu while pg with T. It was the year they had serious problems with the supply and I got it before the season hit full swing. Another weird thing they discovered doing a study was that babies born to mothers who had the flu during pregnancy were linked with schizophrenia later in life. It is an odd correlation but one they have definitively linked of course that is not to say every mother who had the flu will have a child who develops it, but it is one more reason to get the shot. They have also found a link with autism and maternal flu and other infections. Good excuse to practice good handwashing and healthful behaviors.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/005643.html
When I last checked, the flu shot was against influenza and not the common cold. They`re talking about the type influenza that wiped out thousands of people back in 1910. With epidemics on the rise, it is understandable that we need to be prepared but unless I`m out to lunch, the flu shot doesn`t help a bit for the annual colds that we tend to get. Plus, the shots are designed new each year, trying to predict which influenza wave might possibly hit us. Even after getting the flu shot, the influenza epidemic that might hit us may be of a different strain than predicted. So, I am not getting any flu shots.
A young healthy individual has no real need to get the flu shot unless they are, but high risk populations certainly should. Children under 5, those with a compromised immune system, the elderly, and pregnant women should make as many roadblocks for the disease spread as possible. The effects can be dire for those populations. when I worked in geriatrics every flu season would see patients die in waves due to the flu and thankfully most who were vaccinated escaped unaffected. We were fortunate enough to have good protection with those vaccinations. But you are right, there are no guarantees. In life there never are. We do what we can to be safe and protect those around us.

Caregivers of children and high risk individuals are included in the categories of people who should receive the flu shot.
So by definition, new moms should certainly get it.  

No, flu shots will no protect you against the common cold, but the flu can be very dangerous.  I was hospitalized for 4 days once when I had it, and I wasn't elderly or otherwise infirm back then.  

You better bet I get one every year. No exceptions.  
The flu causes over 100,000 people to be hospitalized each year and results in 20,000 annual deaths.  The flu shot is 70-90% effective... much better than the 0% immunity one has against the flu without the shot.

If I had a 90% chance of winning the lottery, I would buy a ticket.  If I have a 90% of preventing myself catching a virus, that can result in serious complications and is known to be lethal in some cases, from a quick , cheap, jab then I will do that also.

Guys, I was wrong. I read up on the subject in addition to your comments and realized that influenza is indeed around to some degree once a year. Strain A, strain B and variations plus the the Avian flu in some countries. I used to think that influenza either shows up as a pandemic or not at all and categorized all other symptoms as the common cold. Well, not anymore now...thanks for your input. I promise to wash my hands and sneeze inward until I get my flu shot next year!
I still remember in a 4 day period of time, we lost 10 patients. Not ten bedridden on their way out patients. 9 of those 10 were very active and reasonably healthy folks. It was horrible to know that had they gotten their vaccination, they would have most likely survived the flu season. I always get mine, I feel I am doing my part in preventing it from spreading to others and also protecting my kiddos by getting them their flu shots. It does bother me that some do not consider kids over the age of 5 as a group worth vaccinating. How many kids have younger siblings at home or elderly grandparents they see during the flu season? Our doctors office has always been really good about making sure the whole family gets their shot and they offer thimersol (sp) free vaccinations for those hyper-concerned about it.

Error-no shame in that. I think it is like most things of this nature, people don't realize how prevalent it is unless they hear about its impact. Some of the recent fly seasons have been unremarkable. You never really hear about it unless it is a particularly deadly strain.
I was told that for children who have never had a flu shot before, they need to receive a booster shot around 1 month after their first shot.  (This was also printed on the flier that they give you when you get a shot which is put out by the CDC.)  I had never heard of this either, so I was surprised when my pediatrician said we needed to bring our son back in a month for a booster.  It's kinda like when you get a new puppy and you have to take it in to the vet for several boosters at first, and from that point on only once a year.

If I were you I'd call your pediatrician's office and ask...it sounds like one dose doesn't fully vaccinate a child who has never had one previously.   Here are 2 links talking about it:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003891992_webflushots19.html
"Flu vaccine is a little more complicated for young children, because they need two doses a month apart the very first year they're inoculated. Just 21 percent of youngsters ages 6 months to 2 years were fully vaccinated, and just over one in 10 who needed two doses got both, CDC reported."

http://www.kidshealth.org/PageManager.jsp?dn=familydoctor&lic=44&article_set=30299
" For children younger than 9 years old receiving their first flu shot, a booster shot needs to be given about a month after the initial shot, with only one yearly shot thereafter."