Maternal & Child Community
Folic Acid and Vitex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Folic Acid and Vitex

Before my m/c my doctor prescribed a prenatal that has 1 mg. of Folic Acid, yet I hear that some are taking 4 mg. of it.  Should I be taking more?  How much do you guys take?  Also, do you know if taking Vitex is safe?
1mg is what I take with prescription vitamins.  If the woman  has a family history of neural tube defects (NTDs), insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, or epilepsy, or is currently taking valproic acid, carbamazepine, or antifolates (eg, sulfonamides), they are at intermediate-to-high risk of having babies with NTDs and need 4.0 to 5.0 mg of folic acid daily.  [got this off google...I'm not that knowledgable!]
I took Vitex to get pregnant and I kept taking it until I was 16 weeks along.  I certainly am not recommending you keep taking it while pregnant (if you start taking it), but just letting you know that I felt comfortable taking it while pregnant.  I did lots of research though.  Many midwives recommend taking it to help get pregnant and to help stay pregnant.  I had a very scary first trimester and my doctor was convinced I'd miscarry.  I felt that if I stopped taking the Vitex that it might be too much for my body to handle.

You can talk to your doctor about Vitex, but a lot of doctors aren't into herbs or aren't knowledgeable about them.  I've known many, many women that took Vitex to help regulate their cycles and to help get pregnant.  

Where do you live?  Why is your doctor prescribing folic acid?  The amount you are taking is more than average.  It's 400mcg, atleast my bottle is and I take two so that is 800mcg.  1mg is more than 800mcg, I believe.
i was told 400 mcg of folic acid like in most vitimins
i told my doc i was taking womens one a day and she said it was fine then after the m/c they found out that womans one a day has to much vitimin a but that its not that bad
I live in AZ.  The doctor prescribed me a prenatal when I first got pregnant and I looked up all the ingredients and it has 1 mg. of folic acid.  I didn't know if that was low or not but it doesn't sound as if it is.
800mcg is just 200mcg less than 1mg (or 1000mcg).  800 mcg is in the Wal-mart brand vitamins.  Both 1mg and 800mcg are OK for ttc'ers and preg women.
I didn't think it sounded low.  My point was that it was more than the 400mcg that is recommended for women ttc.  Though, I think almost all of us take 800mcg or more.  The question was about if 1mg was much lower than what the average woman was taking.  The answer was, "No."  It's not lower at all.

My point of asking why it was prescribed is just that most times prescriptions cost more than just buying it over the counter.  My folic acid cost me less than $3.
Is Vitex safe?  Should I as my doctor about it?  I had a miscarriage end of June...  :(

I'm taking Vitamin B and 800 mcg of Folic acid to help build things up.

I don't know much about Vitex.....  is it something you can "self-prescribe" ?  Or should I ask a doctor about it?
My doctor, and most of my friends doctors, all just say to take a prenatal vitamin that you buy over the counter. Most of my friends like the target brand of prenatal.  For those of us who can't keep our prenatal vitamin down we take a kids vitamin and take extra folic acid.

I recommend vitex, as you know.  There is other out there that helps with luteal phase (if yours it too short) but I forget what it is called.  Also, if you have trouble with CM you can take evening primrose oil.

The prescription prenatals always made me throw up.  I do much better with the target brand.
I've only had two AFs since my m/c in March.  I took Vitex and got my AF two days later.  Then, I threw my Vitex away because I got a crazy allergic reaction.  It turned out to have nothing to do with Vitex, so I bought it again a couple of months later.  I started taking Vitex again, and I got AF two weeks later.  On both occasions I started getting my AF cramps within 24 hours of taking it.  I think it is a powerful plant.  On the other hand, many warn that it should not be taken while one is pregnant.  Finally, my experience is ultimately anecdotal.
Someone on here had mentioned taking Vitex to help regulate my cycles (if you don't know, I've only had four AF's since my m/c in January). I went to my pharmacist and he looked it up for me. He gave me a packet of papers that shows clinical studies that have been done with women with different infertility issues. I don't have the paperwork in front of me but there are clinical studies that show Vitex works. More women with fertility issues got pregnant while on Vitex than the women that were given a placebo. Needless to say after reading the document I have ordered Vitex for myself. It was kind of funny because when I asked him about Vitex he said there aren't many clinical trials to back up herbal remedies and he suggested that I should instead get a prescription from my doctor. He looked the info up for me anyway and was surprised the clinical studies proved Vitex helps with certain infertility issues. He couldn't order Vitex for me but told me where I could go to order some. Check with your pharmacist and see if they will look the information up for you.
Yes that's the only bummer is that the prescription vitamins are $15 a month.  Do you guys have any other suggestions of good vitamins or herbs to take?
I can vouch for Vitex.  I have PCOS and have gone as long as 1 year between periods.  I have been taking Vitex for about 4 months and have had 3 straight periods, all 42 days apart.  This is a miracle for me.  I've never had regular periods.  I am praying that this herb regulates me enough that I'll get pregnant (fingers crossed).  Oh by the way, I've taken Clomid and had HORRENDOUS side effects.  The headaches were the worst part.  Clomid did not work for me.  With Vitex, I have had NO side effects at all.  I love this herb and I highly recommend it.
Hi, ive been reading the comments,
does anyone know if its safe to take folic acid supplements aswel as Vitex?

thank you