Maternal & Child Community
Follow-up to the "nursing in public" megapost.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

In that discussion, I said I was shy to nurse in public, especially at restaurants and around my f-i-l.  Well, last night I found myself in a very crowded restaurant at a TABLE (not booth) across from my F-I-L.  I thought I'd timed my nursing schedule right, but dd got hungry in the middle of the meal.  The car was on the 4th level of a garage blocks away, so I nursed at the table.  I just said "Nature calls", had dh help me keep the blanket in place at first, and continued eating my dinner.  It went fine, even when the waiter came over.  I wanted to post this because all the positive, encouraging things I've read here really gave me the courage to do this, instead of fleeing all the way back to the car.  Thanks and breastfeeding accomplished!
Good for you!  I'm glad you did it.  
Good job!!  Your dd is part of the family, and since you all were going out to eat- so was she!! :o)  
Congrats.
good for you!!  its getting over that initial time.  by the way my mom said at her work friday a woman was at the counter (she works for the county clerk) had the whole belly and boob out with her kid resting ON the freakin counter.  
Good for you!!!

You know, I don't care if someone nurses openly (I know it bugs you PK)  as we discussed the other day, I would rather see someone doing something productive (feeding a child) that just some overweight or even a skinny woman, dressed in revealing clothes. My kids understand a nursing child, they don't get skanky women ; )

Cultures around the world nurse without covering up and it is only looked down upon here. Yet turn on network TV and you will see breasts all over the place not serving their natural purpose.
I just wanted to say Good Job! Wouldn't it be great if breastfeeding was the cultural norm. If breastfeeding at a dinner table was casual and nothing to think twice about. I think more babies would be breastfed and for longer. I was like you with my first especially in front of my in laws. I planned to breastfeed for a full year and babies need to eat a lot (especially mine) so as he grew I grew used to feeding him anywhere.But I remember when he was about 6 weeks old being at dinner at my in laws and not knowing whether to feed him while eating or excuse myself, and now with dd I dont think twice about feeding her at dinner. A crying baby cause more disruption than a nursing one. I am still consious of covering up with my dd now, but I am comfortable feeding her anywhere. I have big boobs which I try to keep covered. I ended up breastfeeding ds until he was two, but when he was older it was only before bed, naps and early morning. Again kudos to you. The more people that see breastfeeding in public the less attention it will cause.
andi i have my share of rolls right now and i cant stand to see them, i wouldnt dream of inflicting them upon anyone elses eyes lol.  that is more of the problem with me than the boob.  as for the revealing clothes, well back in the day i remember wearing a skanky outfit or two lol.  

i too bf today at my sons baseball game, then at mcdonalds (ya i know not a 5star).

thats really good i think next child..actually i dont think..i want to try bf...i too am just nwervous about in public..i think i would pump if ever it was a planned thing
i agree GOOD JOB!!

with my first dd i was very nervous to nurse in public for ohhh about 3 weeks lol, i got over it quick, im glad you have too, now you know that you can do it, so whenever that baby gets hungry you know that you can feed without caring what others think!

I think i recommended this in the other post, but i had a special blanket made for me thats about 3 feet by 6 feet, and its made with a very thin layer of cloth, it covers me all around and its great because i dont have my back or belly hanging out, its almost like a poncho lol, but im telling you it works wonders!

Good luck