Maternal & Child Community
Food Poisoning affects for pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Food Poisoning affects for pregnancy

I got food poisoning on Friday from undercooked ground beef.  My husband also got it too.  This past weekend was just awful since I was probably in the washroom more times than I can count.  Then yesterday I started getting some cramps and backaches.  I am currently 19 weeks pregnant and I went to the doc today and they heard the h/b at 140 bpm so that is normal.  Doc told me just to eat liquid foods for the next week and no meds were prescribed.  Has anyone had this happen to them and will this affect the baby?  Any experiences will be helpful.

Thanks!
It hasn't happened to me but I know someone that it happened to and her baby was fine.
It happened to me but I didnt know I was pregnant I was only 5 weeks pregnant I went to a restaurant and had chicken and a few hours later I was very ill and then was scared cause I thought I might be pregnant cause we had only started trying. It was comfirmed a week later I was preg and an u/s sound showed a healthy baby I'm glad you mentioned this topic I am interested in hearing how people cope getting food poisoning later in pregnancy wow you got poisoned from beef I wouldnt think of that. I'm 22 weeks pregnant now and are avoiding eating out I'm glad all is good with you take care with the rest of your pregnancy.
yeh avoid those foods its called listeria that kind of food poisoning would be different as it crosses the placenta and can cause birth defects eg raw foods unprocessed foods chicken pate soft cheeses deli meats are the worst culprits good luck to you.
I had food poisoning when I was about 22 weeks pregnant - spent two days literally crawling between the bed and the bathroom, and ended up sleeping on the bathroom floor the first night.  I was MISERABLE so I know how you feel!!  I called the doctor and he said to stay hydrated, and take tylenol for fever.  Other than that, no worries.  There are a few very specific kinds of food poisoning that can be dangerous to the fetus because those particular bacteria (or viruses, don't remember which) can cross the placenta.  They are the reason you're supposed to avoid unheated deli meats, unpasteurized soft cheeses etc.  In general though, the only danger is dehydration and fever (if it's high and persists for more than a few days).  Hope you're feeling better!  I found it took nearly a week for me to feel normal again, although I was only violently ill for about 48 hours.  Good luck!
Food Poisoning will not affect the baby in a negitive way at all. If you have the book wha to expect when you are expecting they go into more detail on how it is not harmful to the baby so you are fine sorry to hear that you got sick that is never fun I hope you feel better soon
Yeah- I had serious food poisoning after eating shrimp which I thought was fully cooked... at a restraunt.  I ended up in the ER because I was 35 wks pregnant, and I ended up fainting, and becoming severly dehydrated to the point of having preterm contractions every 4 min.  after I was rehydrated (with IV fluids) I stoped having contractions and felt much better, but I am still worried about the implications to my baby, who is now 4 months old and healthy, birth was all natural and everyone was healthy from there on out.  I am still a little worried about implications, any thoughts?