Maternal & Child Community
For those of you with older kids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

For those of you with older kids

How old were your kids when you took them off the bottle? I am having the hardest time with this. Weve been trying for atleast 4 mos now. I just want some stories if anyone's kids were on them along time and to see if it effected them and how?
My pediatrician gave me handouts that say no bottles after 12 months of age.  I think most of my friends stopped giving bottles at 12 mo but some gave them just one time before bed.  That's what I'll do...my 8 mo old is drinking out of a sippy cup just at meal times so I hope the transition will be smooth at 12 mo.  I think it will be hard to give up the bedtime bottle.
DD is already 15 months and she still drinks her milk out of a bottle.  She drinks her water out of a sippy cup but the milk must be from a bottle :(  I will ask her pediatrician how to transition her from the bottle 100%.  I'm tired of washing bottles myself.  Plus, I have another one on the way in about 3 months so I don't need more bottles to wash.
How much milk should they be drinking after one year?  Mine will be there before we know it and I had never thought about milk after one year.  I know whole milk but how much?
I don't remember the exact recommended "dose" so to speak, but DD has two 8 oz bottles a day, plus a yogurt or cheese a day.
Hey, I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not but I had a heck of a time getting my two year old off the bottle (yes, I said 2 year old!) He was down to just the nap time and night time bottle but he would not give it up! I tried giving him a sippy cup instead and he threw the cup and got all upset and cried. Finally, I came up with the idea to go out and buy some sippy cups that were totally different from the ones I usually give him during the day. These had little handles on the side. Then I got rid of all the bottles. Next time he was ready for bed, I showed him that there were no bottles but made a big deal out of the new sippy cups and told him they were kinda like a bottle but different. And they were just for nap time and night time. It worked! He was intrigued by the new cups so we just started putting a little milk in the cups at bedtime now. I don't know if this will work with your little one or not but it's worth a shot!
DD# 1 was so very hard to break from the bottle! I think she was almost 18 months old!! She would only get a bottle at night before bed time.  DD#2 started on the sippy cup at 10 months.  She loved it so much that she refused the bottle by the time she was 12 months.  If I remember correctly, I think that is when they start on Whole Milk (12 months)
Ds was 15 months old before we could get him to even drink from a sippy cup. He also took a long time to take a bottle. He refused to take a bottle of breastmilk for months while I worked. He was very stubborn. But to get him to take a sippy.. we tried every kind ever made, same with trying to get him to take a bottle. But finally what worked is we put what he wanted ---milk in a sippy and water (which at the time he didn't like) in his bottle. In a few days he was drinking from his sippy and he was also drinking water it was a win win. Just an idea...
I did the same technique as April2 and was succussful.  I took my sons to the store with me and let them pick out the sippy cup they wanted.  It worked the first time and we also explained that we were going to give the bottles to a baby that needed it.  Good luck
Take care
Kris
Ok wow im not liking how they redid this whole forum but thanx for your advice, we also have bought just about every sippy cup made. She will drink a sip or 2 from it once in a while but cries for her bottle all the time. So for now she only gets water in her bottle(she likes water) only because water wont decay her teeth.
How old is your daughter?
I am told that the silicone straw cups at Walmart ($5) are fabulous.  They reportedly wash easily in the dishwaser.  

Very easy to learn to use, helps with a lingering "suckling" need.  
every single time i took the bottle or pacifire was different.  it ranged from 12 mos to 2 1/2---that was my first, and it wasnt fun.  i learned that during the day, i should offer things in the bottle they didnt like.  and as the bottles got wore out--id show them and we would throw them away together, and that would be one less bottle.  and eventually, theyd be gone all together, and then there was one or two long nights, and it was over.  and they will eventually learn to drink plenty from a sippy cup, they arent going to stay thirsty for long before they give in.  id say it took on average 2 weeks to totally be rid of them.