Maternal & Child Community
Fractured Ribs on an 8 months pregnant woman

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My daughter -in-law is pregnant and is due to deliver her baby in the first week of June.

Last month, she had the Flu ,and due to persistent coughing,she felt severe pains in her chest. Her Md diagnosed her as having a fractured rib.

This happened again after a few days and happened for the 3rd time last week-end. She was in severe pain so the doctors gave her Demerol and she was given Percocoet too.

She is presently feeling so miserable, depressed and in a lot of pain and discomfort.

What would be the effect of this pain medications to the unborn baby?

Can you please give us your advice on the best thing to do in this kind of situation?

We will appreciate very much anything that you can tell us about the proper management and care and other comfort measures that we can give her.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely Yours,

Josefina (Mother-in-law)  

Avatar n tn
Those are some strong pain killers  the doctor did know she was pregnant!!!
Avatar n tn
Both these meds are given to women who are pg, and the only effect I remember about them are that they will make the baby sleepy when born. I hope gets better for you.
Avatar n tn
I believe certain heavy drugs do not penetrate the uterus and the baby doesn't get any of it.
Avatar n tn
I have done the same thing as your daughter in law due to the same cold & lingering violent cough.... I am miserable as I am also 8 months pregnant...

I do take Tussin cough syrup which helps a ton with limiting the coughing (and is ok to take while pregnant) And I take tylenol. Another thing depending on how high or low the ribs may be wrapping them securely with a thick medical bandage wrap helps soooo much!

Regardless I do try as much as possible to stay away from heavy drugs...