Maternal & Child Community
Friend lost baby in 8th month

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Friend lost baby in 8th month

A friend of my husband's who was due around the same time as me, lost her baby recently.  She was in her 8th month and was due to be an august mommy.  All we know so far is that the umbilical cord was around the leg, not the neck, so we're unsure of hte cause.  What can cause you to lose your baby in the 8th month?  I wish he hadn't told me about it because I am even more nervous now and don't feel so... secure.  Does anyone know what could cause this to happen so late?  I guess I know she could have gone into preterm labor and the baby may just not have made it... but that thought doenst make me feel better just worse.
Oh God...I hate hearing things like this. That must be awful. More than I can even comprehend. My baby has really slowed down his movements and I'm starting to really worry about things like this again...
That's so sad.  
So sorry to hear this....I'll be praying for the family....

It's so hard to hear these stories....but I suspect it can happen to anyone for many many reasons.
I get worried all the time too.  Almost to the point where I obesss about his movement.  I hate hearing stories about things like that.  So sad...
sometimes there is no explanation for these things happening, a friend of mine lost her baby 2 weeks before her due date, just 2 months after my ds was born, she had a fall 3 weeks before the baby died, but post mortem showed it was nothing to do with the fall, there was nothing genetically wrong with the baby either, she was perfect, it was just a tragic loss, it won't make you feel any easier hearing that sometimes there are no reasons behind why babies are stillborn so late on in pregnancy, but think positive as the majority of pregnancies do go to term and have a happy outcome!

claire
Yes, I'm sorry to post sad news.  I was just looking for someone who might know what could cause this... I was being selfish in hopes of finding that I have nothing to worry about.  My dh grew up with this girl... she's married with other children.  I think that when you are in the 8th month, movement slows down becasue they are getting cramped so don't let that get you worked up.  
I will keep this family in my thoughts and prayers as well.  Being 33w 4d pregnant makes me really think and worry about my little one.  Especially after these stupid complications.  
I always worried myself and I'm not sure if there is anything that can ease the worry.  It is hard to hear news like this because it scares you so.  I just prayed to God to keep my baby safe.  I made it and I think Him.
Thats really sad I dont know if i could handle it or his dad i was just laying down and he must have went to sleep because my stomach sunk a little in and he wasnt moving freaked us both out till we started messing with my stomach and he kicked us so we calmed down...with my daughter i wasnt so worried about everything but with him i seem to worry about EVERYTHING....probably because i got pregnant right after my miscarriage but i worry like crazy...!!  I pray for everyone to have a succesful pregnancy ...and i pray for them as well who lost their baby so sudden...
How sad!

I worry all the time.....I think it's normal! Especially for all of us that are due so soon....we're just holding our breath til the end and hoping all turns out ok! Which I'm sure it will...but it's still hard not to panic about every little thing!
Thank you all for praying for her.  Even though she's an acquaintance of my dh and not myself, I will be praying as well.  Her name is Nerissa (the mother) and I believe it was to be a son.  

I know it is normal for all of us to worry... I don't know if I've stopped worrying yet since the very beginning with the low heartbeat even though doc always says things look great... Lets just all pray for each other and our babies at this point.  Thanks everyone!
How sad, I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.  My friend lost hers at 36 weeks.  The baby quit moving and she drank juice like she was supposed to, called the Dr., they bumped her appt. up to the early morning the next day, but it was too late.  In her case it was something that ran in the family that she was not aware of.  The cord separated from the placenta.  She had to be induced and go through labor.  She did however go on to give birth to 2 more beautiful girls after the loss of her first one.  I hope they can find out what happened to draw closure and possibly prevent it from happening again.  
i lost my baby in the 36th week, i don't know if it is 8 months or 9 months, it was due to a knob in the ambilical ord as they explained to me, it is horrible to lost a baby when you are that far, i have a depression, and taking antidepressant and sleep pills, because i am having dificulties to sleep or stays sleeping, i am so sorry, it is very hard, try to not see her if you were pregnant together that will hurt her and she won't tell you, unless she asked you to visit her, you can call her. i was pregnant with my friend and i was due in early june she was due in late june, she came to visit me after i lost my baby, i couldn't see her, this sounds crazy but i hated her in her big tummy while i have nothing, i went to my bedroom i cried to hell when i saw her, but i had to sit with her gain, but she noticed that i was crying so she went and when she had her baby i did not go to her yet.
my daughterinlaw in 36-37 weeks along and wa checked yesterday, baby was fine but lying on her bladder and giving a great deal of discomfort, but doc says nothing to worry about, today he[the baby is not moving as much and she is worried to pieces] she called he doc and was told not to worry, but i can see why she is worried and i do feel so badly for the above mentioned ones whose outcomes have ben bad. but you know i guess this has been going on for thosands of years and no one can predict how the outcome of any will be but my hheart and prayers are with those who d o not have a good outcome.  
AN ANIMO CAN CAUSE A LOSS WEEKS AFTERWARDS. BE AWARE LADIES DO NOT DO THIS EVEN IF YOUR DR. SAYS IT IS SAFE! IT IS NOT SAFE AND THERE IS NO REAL MEDICAL REASON A WOMEN SHOULD DO IT WHEN THE SONOGRAM CAN TELL YA EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW!
MOTHERS WHO DO ANMIO DO NOT RELIZE THE RISK THEY TAKE WITH THEIR BABIES LIVES.
most women who do a animo dont have an complications from it....rivki
sorry but what it animo? I am not sure I have heard about it.

Anyone?
bump
An amniocentesis is done sometimes to check for down syndrome or genetic disorders.  It's not done routinely, unless there is a neccessity for it.
An amnio is also done to check lung maturity.
sorry to hear about ur husbands friend.iam sure u have nothing to worry about.everything will be ok.
I have lose two babies in two years at 8 and 9mths
Right now I don't kno wat causes me to lose them.I need some help and advice