Maternal & Child Community
Fussy baby...could it be colic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fussy baby...could it be colic?

I have a 4 month old daughter that seems to be very fussy.  Her bad days far outweigh the good ones, and my husband and I are at wits end.  My grandma and mother both seem to think that there is something wrong with her because she cries (make that screams) so hard sometimes.  I don't know what to think.  She seems to have a lot of tummy aches...almost every day.  She screams and pulls her legs up, then stiffens them out.  She is VERY gassy and sometimes you can even hear her little tummy rumbling.  I'm breastfeeding, and I thought that breast milk is supposed to be easier for them to digest.  The doctor first had me cut out fresh fruits and veggies from my diet, thinking that might help reduce the gas...but it didn't.  I tried that for an entire week.  Now, as of 2 days ago, I'm cutting out dairy to see if that might help.  So far, no change.  Just looking for people with similiar problems.  I need to hear that it will get better!  She's so much fun when she's having a good day.  I know that their supposed to work, and not all days are going to be good, but I'm wanting the good days to outweigh the bad!

Amanda
I'm sorry you are going through this...I too had a fusy baby, he was on formula. He ended up having to be on soy for the entire first year of his life, I know that is not an option for you since you are brest feeding. I used to fill up an 8 oz. bottle w/ water and put a couple of  party mints in there (suggestion from my mom) the mint is supposidly supposed to help but it didn't help my ds enough for me to really notice. The best thing that I did for him that I think helped was to get baby gas drops. They say the drops are gentle enough that you can use them every time you feed.(of course you will want to double check the label) They were a God sent for my son and for my sanity. Good luck, and yes it does get better. If she is still in that much pain after she gets a little older, because the colic should be getting better by 4 mos., you might want to think about getting her checked by a specialist. Consider getting a second opinion from another ped.
Angie
Wow is this going to be confusing with the user names.  I had a similar problem with my first (a daughter 6 yrs ago).  She seemed fussy all the time and had to nurse constantly.  I felt like she was on my breast 24-7 and I too was at my wits end.  It did get better but there were times I wanted to throw her against a wall.  I now have a 2 week old son who is gassy and always seems to have a hard time pooping but he is not fussy.  I would not think it would be colic since I thought that happened at certain times of the day not all day. If you have tried changing your diet maybe you need to make an appt to have your baby looked at.  Maybe it is a hernia or something.  My mom said when I was a baby I cried 24-7 and a little later in life I had a hernia.  We do not know if I had it as a baby or if it developed from all of my crying.  Good Luck to you.  I know how a fussy baby can be trying for you.  My DH had so many arguments due to our daughter's fussing.   Hang in there it should get better.
Both of my children were the same way. Soy did the trick though. After about a year they were fine with the regular but not that first year! It was horrible. I feel for ya!
I have a 2 month old little boy.  He has been fussy since week 2.  He screams all day long.  The doctors have told me it is reflux and colic.  He is on medicine for the reflux.  I too was breast feeding but had to stop because he was spitting up so much.  I tried cutting out the dairy and veggies and it didnt work.  The doctors did say it coukd take up to 2 weeks for it to be completely out of your system.  We tried 3 different formulas and he is now on Alimentum.  It seems to be helping a little.  He still cries a lot but not 24-7 like he was.  What you are describing sounds a lot like reflux.  I would take your little girl to the doctor.  Hope it gets better soon.
Suzie
My baby was also really fussy from 3-6 months. Although she was formula fed, and I don't think gas was her issue, I found carrying her around in a infant carrier on my chest worked wonders. Thank God she was a small baby, bc she was often carried for hours at a time-through meals, washroom visits, laundry, you get the picture. The swing was also a God send for us. It allowed me to occasionally eat :)
Although I agree, you should definitely bring her to a DR just for your own sense of security, crying at this age is so NORMAL!!! In the meantime, crunching up her little legs can ne a sign of bad gas pain, which we found gripe water very effective for.
Some day, to get it in perspective, jot down the times she's crying. She may be crying less than you think. One baby book I had said that crying up to 7 hours a day is NORMAL!!! I know that when the wailing starts, 5 minutes feels like 5 hours.
In the meantime, do whatever you have to for your own sanity. Get out of the house with the stroller or front carrier, drop her to Grandma, or go hide in the bathtub occasionally. You are a good mother for questioning her crying, so remember that!!
Hope these tips help, and hang in:)

I had the same problem with my daughter but it started at birth after 6 weeks of no sleep and I it seemed like not stop crying I figured out what it was! I too breast feed but decided to switch to formula...no change still gassy and cried non stop! I tried the gas drops also didn't really seem to help too much. Then I switched to lactose free formula which is still milk based but no lactose. It was like night and day....all of a sudden she started to sleep 5 hours a night I thought I was in heaven! No more gas...she was lactose intolerant I wish I would have thought of that sooner but the doctor kept pushing the breast milk and when I would suggest switching she was against it so I went ahead and did it - we had too no one was getting any sleep and she was so upset all the time - they told me it was colic but it wasn't. Now lactose intolerant and milk allergy are two differnt things...you can have milk based products just no lactose in it. When my daughter turned one she started having her eyes swell up and get pink on the eye lids and underneath...cheeks would get red at times and it looked real bad. Couldn't figure out what it was...she had developed a milk allergy! Took me two months to figure that one out! Milk Allergy doesn't have to do with your digestive system so you don't get gas but it's more like allergy symptons...eyes develope a grey shodow under them...rash, swollen or read around the eyes and fever. So now my daughter is on Soy milk, Soy Ice cream but not soy cheese because soy cheese is milk based! It so hard she has a severe case of it so we really have to read labels...even saltine crackers have ceisen the milk protein in it...when we go to resturants a lot of food is cooked in butter...she can't have it...Good luck just thought I would share my story.
I am breastfeeding and have a very fussy little one. We run the gambit all night long. Gas drops, rocking, feeding, pacing, etc. I finally started taking Lactaid Ultra pills in addition to the lactaid milk I drink, so far it has helped quite a bit. I have lactose intolerance and a milk allergy to boot, yet I cannot stay away from dairy : )

It seems to be helping Tristan quite a bit, maybe you cna try something similar.

Andrea