Maternal & Child Community
Fussy newborn - normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fussy newborn - normal?

Hello everyone!  I am looking for some reassurance and hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel.  I am becoming frustrated because my two week old baby is NOT content when she is awake.  Even if she has been fed, changed, swaddled, etc...she fusses!  You constantly have to bounce her or move her around and that does not always even work.  Is this normal?  Is there any chance that she will outgrow this?  I am looking forward to the day when I can PUT HER DOWN while she's awake and she can just be content!  It is so demanding to have to pay 110% attention to her when she's awake (especially in the middle of the night!)  Did anyone else go through this?  Any ideas, suggestions, ANYTHING?  

HELP!
Amy
she maybe gassy, My son was the same way I got the gas drops and after a couple of days he was fine, but I continued to use them once a day for about 2 weeks, then he was able to get it out on his with a little help from us.
talk to your dr before you give her anything first.
I had the same problem with my son.  Trust me, they will outgrow it.  Tyler was over that extreme fussiness by about 8 weeks.  It's basically colic and they need to be moved and bounced or they are upset.

I don't know if you're breastfeeding, but if you are they are some foods to avoid because it adds to the problem.  Definitely avoid caffeine (coffee, pop, tea, and chocolate), avoid spicy foods, and (for me) avoid broccoli.

I highly recommend some Mylicon Gas Drops, or a generic equivalent.  They absolutely saved my life.

Ask for help.  Don't be afraid to ask for friends/family to come over and help so you can take a nap.  Try a swing, if you haven't already.  If you have a carrier and can strap her to your stomach then that might help too.

Hope this helps!!  I know exactly what you're going through and it will get better eventually.
She may have colic, my son had that...he always cried
try the gas drops and definitely ask for help, friends family anybody, please ask for help because you will need a break. There is a light at the end of the tunnel but getting help is important.
I bought some gas drops but they don't seem to be the miracle worker yet.  I didn't buy the brand name drops though...do you think that would make a difference?  She also spits up a lot and the doctor said if she seems unhappy when she spits up, it could be reflux.  She is usually a "happy spitter" but maybe that is the problem?  I do love her dearly...but she sure knows how to try my patience...and my husbands!  :)  Thank you so much for the replies and encouragement.  I am willing to try anything at this point!  Oh, we do have a swing but it's almost not ENOUGH movement for her.  Sometimes she will sit in it, other times she'll scream her little head off!  :)
If she is spitting up alot then ask your dr to refer you to a GI dr. All 4 of my kids have reflux but my dd was the worst. we finally started her on neocate and rice cereal in her bottle along with all her meds it help alot and saved her life.  If it does not settle down in a couple of days push to see a GI dr, it maybe nothing or it maybe something it never hurts to ask.
How soon did you start her on rice cereal?  My pediatrician said that we could go ahead and start but I mixed it in one of her bottles (I am pumping and nursing) and she didn't seem to like it.  I will have to try again.  I have just always read to wait 4-6 months for rice cereal so I was surprised when we were in the hospital with jaundice at 3 days old that the ped. suggested that.
My mom put me on rice cereal when I was 2 weeks.  it doesnt hurt.  I had my son on it at about 8 weeks.  Right before I went back to work that way he would sleep all nite and HE DID!  It was great!  Sometimes they are just not full for very long and can get fussy.  Also, I agree with the rest, maybe get some gas drops.  I used those too and it helped.  I just got the GENERIC brand.  Same stuff in it and worked the same.
when she is laying down, try to rock her little legs(knees) towards her tummy. That will also help relieve the gas if she has it. I think food is to early. Some parents mistake baby crying for being hungry and thats not the case as i'm sure you have figured out. Make sure she burps everytime after she eats, and if you are nursing, take a look at what you are eating.. that might have a lot to do with it.
Please please please do not give her cereal.  It is waaay too soon.  Some doctors might recommend it for reflux, but it's risks far outweigh the benefits.  You will make it through this, I promise.  From the web:  "Babies are born with a wonderful mechanism for knowing how much food they need. During the early months, they take their cues from the volume of what they drink. Adding cereal derails this mechanism. It forces them to take in deceptively large amounts of calories. It teaches them to overeat."

Like familybugs said, try bringing her knees up to her stomach in a steady back and forth rhythm motion and definitely make sure she burps frequently during meals and after.  The frequent burping will help with both spitup and colic.  Another trick that worked with my son is me sitting down, then putting him belly down across my lap and lightly patting/rubbing his back.  The pressure on their bellies can make them feel better.

The generic brand versus name brand gas drops should not matter, if the active ingredients are identical.
If the simethicone drops don't work, see if you can find Hyland Colic tablets, they worked wonders for my youngest. He was generally a fussy baby all due to his "difficult" temperament. And sometimes there was just nothing to be done to settle him, it was frustrating, but I chalked it up to one of the joys of motherhood. I knew he wasn;t out to get me, I knew I needed to work harder to figure him out. My first was much easier, all he needed to be happy was a nice warm breast and his mommy to snuggle with.  

Both of my boys dealt with reflux, both were given meds for it, but they rarely got them. I worked around it. Frequent burping, making sure I didn't overfeed, nursing in a more upright position, keeping them upright after eating, etc. All of these things worked really well.

Cereal in a bottle is awful for your child in the long run, even the formula makers advise against it. There have been absolutely no studies to prove the benefits like sleeping through the night, yet hundreds of studies that show the negative effects of using it such as an increase in allergies, diabetes, and obesity, not to mention the increased risk of aspiration which can in turn lead to pneumonia.

Andi
That is completely normal! I was in shock the first moments/months of motherhood! I expected happy peacefilled moments! Why were we not warned? For the past 9-10 months your baby has been warm, not hungry, held, in motion(even while you sleep) 24/7. All of a sudden she is broken of that and it's scarey and not pleasant for her, or you! It's good to ease this process by weening her slowly from everything she's used to. She will become more and more comfortable and comfident with her new surroundings with you by her side. You may get tired, but you wont spoil her. She will out grow this, eventualy. 12-18 months seems have been my break between completely helpless baby and terrible twos, at that age my girls were happy, sweet, content, and cuddly:) Even before that they played on the floor with toys when they learned to sit up, but not for more than 20 mins. Now my youngest is 2 and my oldest is 3 1/2 with new challenges! Being a mom is hard work! But it gets easier because you also become more comfortable and confident with your new surroundings. This is why I advise new moms to read about parental strategies while pregnant, because I didn't! "On becoming baby wise" was an awsome book! My cousin did it with her little one and he was the most content confident little man! I didn't read it until now, so we shall see with my third.

>>Question<< Does anyone know the name of the guy who wrote the book with the theory that a newborn is still a 'fetus' for the first three months of life?
Watch the babywise books, ezzo has been criticized by many of the leading authorities in pediatric care due to his methods of scheduled feedings so early and many cases of failure to thrive have been linked to his practices. Be flexible with your newborn, they are not meant to fit into a regimented schedule in the beginning.

Andi
My opinion is that most baby have a degree of reflux, that's why they spit up. If baby cries after spitting up (like my first) then it is cause for concern and medication can help. Rice cereal in a bottle is no help. I tried this with my first and all it did was make her extremely chubby (not to mention it can be a choking hazard). She didn't crawl until 12 months and that made her fussy as an older (fat) baby. If you suspect reflux is the problem have her xrayed at a hospital where a special procedure can diagnose it correctly.

That said, my second is now 9weeks old and you're going through what sounds like a similar situation to mine. Emma would nurse and cry, the doc said she should eat every 2-3 hours so I wouldn't know what to do about the crying. I don't think he was right now looking back on it. Every 2-3 hours is not true for every baby. Mine cluster feeds every hour or so and then sleeps or sometimes she nurses for comfort and a pacifier will not make her happy. At such an early age there is nothing wrong with this!! As they get older they learn other soothing methods and will nurse less often. If your baby cries and nothing works, nurse! Even if you feel like the human pacifier it will stop soon and be so worth it in the end. If you bottle feed you don't have this option because you over feed your baby if you offer it every time they cry since milk comes out the entire time. There is also the 5 S's which are advized for colic - which is really a term for "we don't really know why your baby is crying". Swaddling, swinging, shhh shhh shhhing, sucking, and side position for sleeping (I know back is best but this was recommended by doctors in a Contemporary Pediatrics article). Also join a breastfeeding support group even if it's just online (myspace.com has many and the advice is really helpful).

I've had such trouble this time with sore nipples and a fussy baby I feel for you! If you want to talk or have questions email me miss-***@****, I'd love to help. I have a great article about all this I'd be willing to scan and email you if you're interested. It's 10 pages of excellent advice.
I know I am repeating as there are so many other posters on here.  I would give her Gripe Water.  You can get it with alcohol and without.  I would recommend using the one without.  this will help soothe her tummy and help her to burp.
Also as someone mentioned, she may be allergic to dairy.  You mentioned that you are breast feeding so maybe try to cut back on dairy and see if that works.  i have a friend whos babe was very fussy and her doc told her to cut out dairy and it worked almost instantly.  She notices that if she cheats that her babe is upset after she eats.  Her doc said taht she will grow out of it and shouldn't be allergic wehn she is older but her little tummy might be too sensitive to it right now.  I would give it a try.
Good luck!
Ugh I so feel your pain lol. My son was that way from about one week old until..well he's 5 now and is still cranky and has been diagnosed with adhd and mood disorder. Anyway...yes, I had to sit him in a bouncy seat so i could sleep at night or put him in a swing which worked good. During the day I would wear one of the holters and you strap them in becuase I couldn't do dishes or vaccum it was terrible. When he got to the stage where I could lay him down and let him cry it out, I did. Sometimes it worked and e would fall asleep other times he had to be held and played with. He honestly NEVER grew out of this stage. He does have mood disorders now but I don't know if the whole fussy infant thing had anything to do with it. I hope your baby grows out of this. I would go to the Dr. see if maybe it's acid reflux, which newborns get, maybe gas, you can try some milcon drops for gas, or maybe he/she is lactose intolerant. Those are all very good things to look at. Also make sure you are burping him/her after each ounce they eat and that they do burp it can make them bloated, gassy, and very irritable if they don't get those burps out! Good luck to you I hope things get better! God Bless
I agree andij78, I like to take a liitle of everything. Thats why I wanna read about that other guy, who is he? Anyone know? He talks about the four Ss. Swaddle,shush,something,something?
Dr Sears is a popular guy, he and his wife Martha have been offering great advice for parents for many years.

Andi
I wrote about the 5s's above from an article called "the fourth trimester" by Dr. Harvey Karp.
You might want to try a formula for fussy babies.  I can't remember the name off hand, but it is more expensive than the regular formula, and is 'pre-digested'.  Sounds gross, right?  The smell of it isn't great either.  My second daughter, at two weeks old, had me in a panick.  Fussy as ever.  Not even a bottle would calm her.  She would get hungry and fuss.  At bottle time, it soothed her, but soon after the feeding she was cranky and not happy at all.  This happened all the time.  Doc said colic.  She did spit up more than my other baby.  I think it was reflux, and she had a sensitive tummy.  The special formula helped, along with the Mylacon drops.  And by 8 weeks, she was a happier baby.  But, I remember those days.
We tried gripe water, gas drops, cereal at 6weeks & finally had relief once the Dr mentioned acid reflux.
my son had no spitting up problems what so ever but the DR finally decided he had this & gave us meds for this & things got alot better another DR tried to say he was gassy & nothing helped but the acid refux meds made a difference. The Dr suggested that my son was eating & then the acid reflux would kick in so then my son would want to eat even more to make the acid reflux go away but by doing this he was actually probably over eat causing a tummy ache. He came off the meds in 6mo & was fine.

Also don't get tooo worried babies are sooo different. Around the 6week mark things got soo much better for us. Eventually things will work out & believe it or not you'll miss all this. However I'm preg w/ #2 so in Dec of this year I may need you to remind me of this :O) To me the hardest thing was going w/ out sleep, but eventually you'll get more & more of that slowly but surely!!!! I breastfed my son for 8 mo so Iknow how those nights can seem so rough but it will get better & better. LOVE & PRAYERS FOR SLEEP & HEALTH:)
Yes, sleep!! I remember thinking, man before this I could sleep 14 hour if I wanted, I'll never do that again! But I have:) Everyonce in a while when dh and I get a hotel or he's nice enough to get the ladies breakfast.
Reading everyone's comments has been such a relief to me.  It is so nice to know that I am not alone.  I am going to try a lot of the suggestions given to me.  I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for tomorrow and I am praying that some light can be shed on the issue.  I'm afraid I'll come home without any answers, but I can always hope, right?  I know that every baby fusses to some degree and not always for any particular reason...I just want her to be a HAPPY baby more than anything.  The lack of sleep doesn't help matters either.  My DH is also a teacher and I CANNOT wait for the school year to be over so we can share in the responsibilities!  :)  My DD was very wanted and very planned and we do feel truly blessed to have her in our lives.  I just feel so guilty that all I seem to do is complain about her.  

Thanks again for all of the support and advice.  I will post again tomorrow after the doctor visit.  Wish us luck!
Amy
And I forgot - get a sling for those I want to put her down moments!! You can eat dinner (at a restaurant) or get stuff done around the house hands-free.

I own 2: the Ultimate Baby Wrap (5-in-1 carrier) and a LovelyMama (traditional pouch sling).

Best money ever spent. I didn't wear my first but wouldn't dream of not doing it this time. Your baby will cry less I swear, even after she's not being carried.
my son cried constantly when he was awake.  at first the dr said it was just colic.  when the crying still didn't stop at 2 1/2 months (a very long 2 1/2 months), we were told that he has acid reflux disease.  he know is 14 months and is still taking ranitidine daily other wise he is cranky and throws up.  the dr says that some kids grow out of this by about 2 years, otherwise he might always have to take medicine.
Sounds a fair amount like my son.  In hindsight, I think a good deal of the problem was he was BORED.  He was my first and we lived in an apartment with off-white walls and ceiling (nothing interesting to look at) and didn't yet have a car.  In the Canadian winter, it was a big chore to get us both dressed to go out.  When he was home, he constantly fretted and wanted to be amused.  When we took him out to where there was a crowd, he was quiet, looking around at everything with fascination.  Everyone said: "What a good baby!"  When summer came & I was able to take him out for a walk in his stroller, he was so happy, gazing around at everything.  I'm not denying your baby might be suffering from digestive problems, but if this doesn't seem to be the case, you might try taking her out for a walk or to a mall, and see if that makes her better or worse.  When she gets a bit older, you might try a Jolly Jumper (swing that she can bounce in.)  For now you might see whether a mobile or music box helps to amuse her.  Good luck! and hope you find what the problem is.  There are many babies like yours, and many different reasons why they fuss.  Experienced mother
My son us only 3 weeks in is very fussy when he is woke idk what to do it scares me in he do have a lot of gas
I know this is an old thread but we are currently going through the same situation you had back in 2006, was there a solution to help your baby or did it just pass in time and if so what age did your little one get better?

Thanks in advance. Mike
By now your little one is in school and this problem will have passed but for others looking for answers know that new born babies are menat to be held.
Their brains are not fully developed and during the first 3 months of life they are literally incomplete. By swaddling and holding them you are allowing them to complete the maturation process that will let them self regulate and self soothe.  Simulate womb like conditions with shushing sounds, placing them on your chest to hear your heartbeat, replicate the motion of the womb by walking, rocking  and swaying with them. bathe them and waith for the fourth trimester to be over. Take hold of calm when ever and however you can.  
My newborn is also 2 weeks old and he fusses more than ever. No matter how much i feed him when i put him down he starts to fuss like he wants more and i feel like im overfeeding him. Should i continue to feed him or is there any other method that i can use. Sometimes holding him and rocking him doesnt help either....what do i do!