Maternal & Child Community
GD- I'm soo disappointed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

GD- I'm soo disappointed

Well I had my 3 hour GGT today, since I failed the 1 hour. I am almost 29 weeks and everything has been on target, untill now... Since I work in the lab, I just checked my result:

Fasting- 85
    1HR- 198
    2HR- 186
    3HR- 140

So, I guess I have gestational diabetes. I am not surprised, since diabetes runs in my family, but I feel soo helpless. I always watch my carb/sugar intake, so I dont know what else to do. I guess I just need some words to pick me up, cuz I feel like I am about to cry! Anyone else out there with GD? Please tell me how its going...

I was a diabetic before i got pregnant and i have had it for 16 years.  You should be happy that you just got it now instead of in the beginning.  Its not that bad though.  Im on an insulin pump and have to check my blood sugars 7 times a day.  Sometimes I feel like there is something wrong with me, but theres not.  Im just happy that I have a healthy baby and you should to.  I watch what i eat, but i love snickers and if my blood sugars have been okay i will eat half of one, so its not like you wont be able to eat sugar you just have to watch it. And just think after the baby is born you won't have it anymore and you'll be able to eat what you want and you wont have to check your blood sugars but i still will.  you should just look at the positive side of it, you'll only have it for another 11 weeks or so and as long as you have a healthy baby in you I wouldn't stress.
Good luck though
I had GD and I was able to control my sugar throughout the day by following a very strict diabetes diet but my morning fasting sugars couldn't be controlled and so I had to inject myself with isulin before bed every night. It wasn't that bad at all. We do what's best for the health of our babies and that's all I was focussed on doing. Good luck.
I totally hear your pain!  I am now 6 weeks PP, but was also diagnosed with GD at 29 weeks.  I cried about it all weekend - I had a nice little pity party.  But I also realized that in the end as long as I took care of myself, I still got the prize.  I don't know you or your history, but I am athletic, ran throughout my pregnancy, had no family history, or any of the other risk factors.  I was devastated.  However, I very easily controlled my #'s through diet and exercise alone.  What I found was if I just went for a 10 minute walk after my meals I never had horrible #'s - even with a small piece of dessert - or if I had too many carbs.  I did find that I had a harder time controlling my 1 hour #'s, but easily controlled my 2 hour #'s.  Also, breakfast was hardest for me - it seemed that milk in my cereal just spiked my #'s.  You will find out what works for you and what doesn't work for you.  Good luck!
I have GD and am 34wks now. It is hard, but I am on medicines(Glyburide) now and they do help along with diet. I also have to check my sugar 4 times a day. Once in the morning(fasting sugar), and about a hr after i eat a meal.  If my 1hr #'s ever go over 200 then I have to go to the hospital to be admitted. My doctor also just did a A1C blood test to see what my sugars have been over the past 8wks. I hope it's not too bad to where he wants to hospitalize me, but I have a feeling those #'s won't be good as I'm just now getting the sugar under somewhat of control since I didn't really develop it till around 30wks or so. It's not so bad. I mean it does suck, but trust me the diet and medicine is worth it cause you don't want your baby to come out with the complications of GD. It's better to catch it early and control is sooner.