Maternal & Child Community
Genetic testing in pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Genetic testing in pregnancy

Hello I am curious if it is safe to have a genetic testing procedure done at 5 in half months of pregnancy. The test that I am having to decide to do is called cordocenteses it is were they will draw blood from the umbillico cord to check for down syndrome . My concern is that early in my first trimester I have bleeding because the placenta was having trouble placing it self correctly , I was prescribed meds. to help heal the problem and everything has been good for my pregnancy . I have taken the double and triple test as well and I have had wonderful results for those test . I am scared if I should do this genetic test because I am almost 6 months and from what I have heard the genetic test are normally done in the first trimester . I am a American citizen but I now live in Serbia and the I am very nervous on how the medical procedures are done here it is very different from what I a m use to in the States . If you could please give me some insight it will help me on my deciding on what I should do .