Maternal & Child Community
Genital redness in a 3 year old girl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Genital redness in a 3 year old girl

Hi. My three year old has had it on and off for about 3 month.  Area around her vagina gets really red and sometimes itchy. There's no or v. little discharge. Occasionally, she has pain urinating.  We did a urine test which came back negative.  We did a course of monistat to rule out yeast infection - it is still coming back.

I though she could be reacting to chocolate, so she is off it altogether... Still, it came back again.

She is potty trained during the day and naps, but still in diapers at night...

She had piples on her bottom a year ago and they went away on their own... Now I think maybe the two are related??

Any ideas/thoughts/referrals much appreciated!  We live in DC. Maybe you know of a doc we should see next.

Thanks!
If she is drinking a lot of juice or lemonade that could be the cause. Sometimes the Acid in those drinks mixed with urine can cause a rash. If you think that is case push more water. Also try cranberry juice & water mixed ( half & half). Good Luck
Makes sense - she does drink lots of fresh juice and loves red tomatoes... will try water/CJ. Thank you!
My 3 year old is potty trained, but when she wipes, if to hard sometimes or not very good, she get's red and sore.  And it hurts her when she pees.

We use bagbalm (we buy it at Walmart), it's in the pet section.  Works great.  Put it on at nights.  It's also good for dry hands and feet.  

The use is for cows udders. LOL, but it's completely safe on kids and adults.
My daughter is almost 3 and gets the same problem sometimes. I use a q-tip, and put neosporin on her urethra and vaginal opening. It usually goes away in a day. She also still wears diapers at night, and has more problems with redness and pimples if she wears her diaper very long after she gets up. Also certain bath products aggravate it. Soaking in the bathtub too much can also cause problems, especially if she likes bubbles.
all good comments and it helps to hear other people experience the same... I have a question - what did you mean by "biological detergent".  I use the one from Seventh Generation (organic)...