Maternal & Child Community
German Measels aka Rubella?? and pregnancy after cone? thanks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

What a bummer. I had my annual well women exam scheduled for August (I was hoping to call them up and switch it to an OB visit!) but...they called and rescheduled it for last Thursday. I thought, since my last period was July 2nd and we've been ttc that maybe they could check. They did (reluctantly) and it was negative. :( So...I had to have this extremely painful procedure done instead.

Anyway, my real question is this...the doctor said i might not be resistant to German Measels (or Rubella) any more and that I should have a test done to check. Has anyone ever heard of this? If I'm not resistant, I'll have to have another MMR and then go back on the pill or whatever for at least 3 months.(Oh...I guess if you get Rubella during pregnancy your baby has a really high chance of birth defects.)

Also, second question. I had a cone biopsy done last September for CIN III.  Does anyone have any experience w/ trying to get pregnant after this type of procedure?

I had German measles when I was a little child and when we were planning for this pregnancy I had a rubella titer drawn, and I am still resistant after all these years.  I would not fear having the test done, it will ease your mind.  Don't know about the other question, but my advice is to have the rubella test done just to be sure, but I'll bet you are safe.  Annie
I had the same procedure done last september.  They told me because mine was so extensive and I had it done in the hospital that I wouldn't get pregnant.  I ended up pregnant on 11/12/05.  I did have the baby.  Unfortunately he passed away. But you can get pregnant after that procedure. I am currently trying again to conceive.  I wish you the best of luck.
I am 17w3d pregnant and I am not immune to rubella. Along with alot of other things this is one of the things my dr checked for when I got my BFP. To be immune you have to have a level of 10+ mine was 8. My dr told me to be careful and that if I see/know anyone with rubella to RUN THE OTHER WAY!! Those were his exact words.

I will be getting the rubella shot as soon as my baby is born, probably before I even leave the hospital.

In my opinion, you should have the test. If you are not immune, you should get the shot and then wait 3 months. I know it is hard when you really want a baby but it would be for the best. Think about how you would feel if you weren't immune and got pregnant, then ended up with rubella and there was something wrong with your baby. Knowing that you could have prevented it would probably play heavily on your mind.

Take Care
thank you all...some great advice. i did have the test done to see if i was still immune when i was in on thursday, but haven't heard anything back from the physician yet.
When I was pregnant with my son, they tested me and told me I was not immune to Rubella anymore.  I got the same response as Adavotee, Run Away and avoid anyone showing symptoms (which was great since I am a teacher and was working at Walmart in the evenings). The day the released me from the hospital after my son's birth, the nurs came and gave me a shot to reimmunize me.  It was no bigdeal.  The fear i felt while i was pregnant was to me though.  There is enough to worry about while your pregnant, you don't want to fear people in the grocery store.  I would get tested and wait if I were you.
i would definately get the shot...i dont know ALL the effects of getting it while pregnant, but i do know for a fact that IF you contract it while pregnant and IF the baby survives it, it will be deaf...no hearing...i know this because i have a major in american sign language and in order to complete it i had to take a class that talked extensively (sp) on congenital deafness, plus a few of my friends who are deaf had mom's that contracted rubella while pregnant and that is the cause of their deafness....

so really taking the test comes down to a minor inconvience for 3 months versus a healthy child
Hi  - I just want to say how important it is to get this rubella situation taken care of with your doctor. I have worked with adults who are deaf-blind from congenital rubella syndrome for over 25 years. Their moms were infected with rubella during the first trimester of pregnancy, when all of the important organs were forming. Deafness is not the only possible result of maternal rubella infection(the term they use when a pregnant woman gets rubella). Other problems may include cataracts, heart problems and developmental delays/mental retardation, to name a few. As if that's not enough, there is research showing that some of these children are developing more medical problems as they age. It's a tough situation. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has an excellent document describing rubella, maternal rubella, congenital rubella syndrome and vaccination concerns. Some of the info is technical, but there's enough to grab on to or ask your doctor for clarification. If you go to their website (cdc.gov) search for "pink book" and then go to Chapter 12, which talks about rubella. By the way, in March, 2005, the CDC announced that rubella had been eradicated from the United States. That doesn't mean we can stop getting the vaccine. It just means that, in recent years, rubella cases in the United States are all "imported" - meaning they come from folks who are from other countries that don't have adequate rubella immunization practices.
Take care, be well, and bless you all...
Nancy