Maternal & Child Community
Gestation sac measuring smaller than should....blood work back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

So my story was.....

Hi all....right now I am very confused and upset. Just need a few opinions (good or bad).I found out I was pregnant by a home pregnancy test 2 weeks ago. Last week, I went to the doctor where he also confirmed it. He did the exam and said everything looked good and that I was 7 weeks. I went for my first trimester ultrasound and from there on it has been an emotional rollercoaster. When the tech did the ultrasound, she said that the gestational sac was only measuring 5 weeks and not 7 like it should. She called my doctor and he said he wouldn't know much until I had some blood work done. So, he sent me to the lab to have it drawn on Wed to measure my HCG levels and progesterone levels. And I went back Fri for a second set to be drawn so he can compare. He said I might really be 7 1/2 weeks pregnant and the baby stopped growing at 5 and is gone or some other things that I didn't hear because I was still in shock and somehow tuned him out. I feel pregnant. No cramping or bleeding....don't know what to think. My LMP was definetly Aug 26. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions...anything is appreciated. Thank you.

Well... I talked to my doctor and he said that my HCg levels are 13000 and something and then fri they were 15000 something. I know they aren't doubling but they are increasing..is that positive at all? And I asked about my progesterone level and he said it was very good and at 16. I'm not convinced there's something wrong but I am worried. He said to give it two weeks and if I don't miscarry, he'll do an ultrasound. I won't get a D&C.
some womens hCG never doubles....it just rises. you progesterone is great. there is a good chance they didn't have the right due date and you ovulated later than you thought....it is common. i would wait the 2 weeks and have them do another hCG level to make sure the #s keep increasing and don't drop. as long as the #s rise steadily there is hope that everything is alright. i agree to not have a D & C till you know for absolute sure that this is a m/c. make them do blood work and u/s to make absolute sure. i know some one who was in your place and they tried to make her do a D & C and 2 weeks after she refused there was a heart beat....they had her due date wrong. she now has a beautiful son....the docs would have aborted him if she hadn't made them do their job. keep me posted and i am praying for you.

love....kimmie
Thank you sweetie! You really are great. Thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate it. *hugs*
                                         Jess
Every woman deals with different hcg levels. Also it is easy to misdiagnose how far along you are. It is very hard waiting to find out what is going on. I have been having trouble with bleeding for two weeks and not doubling hormone levels also. I went for u/s on friday and baby had grown and heartbeat was strong. Try so hard to relax and be okay with whatever may happen. Your next ultrsound will probably tell you what is really going on. It is devastating to go through these turmoils and my heart goes out to you. Faith and hope are two things that will help you most!
I'm so sorry your going through this i just recently had my second miscarriage in a row so i know what your going through. The waiting game is so hard, i think you should really check out the misdiagnosed miscarriage site it is awesome and very helpful. Do you know if you have a tilted uterus because they don't getthe right measurements and they really freak people out. I would personally wait it out and not do the D&C until they are a 100% sure there is something wrong. Good Luck and my prayers are with you. You will find so many stories of hope at this web site so many people are misdiagnosed.

Carla29
I had a cervial pregnancy in January 2005.  My last LMP was end of August 2005 and I tested positive on October 3, 2005 with an HCG level of 121.  On October 6, 2005 HCG Levels were 305 then 1025 on October 10th.  They did an U/S on this day as well (due to some pain in my left side).  A gestational sac was found through a vaginal u/s and nothing was really said to me other than it was very early according to my HCG levels and to have another in 2 weeks.  Well, since then, my HCG Levels have continued to increase.  October 17, 2005 they were 6409 and then on October 20th,
I had a cervial pregnancy in January 2005.  My last LMP was end of August 2005 and I tested positive on October 3, 2005 with an HCG level of 121.  On October 6, 2005 HCG Levels were 305 then 1025 on October 10th.  They did an U/S on this day as well (due to some pain in my left side).  A gestational sac was found through a vaginal u/s and nothing was really said to me other than it was very early according to my HCG levels and to have another in 2 weeks.  Well, since then, my HCG Levels have continued to increase.  October 17, 2005 they were 6409 and then on October 20th, they were 10,900.  Today, October 24th I had another ultrasound performed.  They were able to see the sac with a regular ultrasound and said it measured 5 weeks and 1 day, however, they didn't think it was a viable pregnancy because I should be further along.. ( 7 weeks ).  I had my HCG levels drawn again today and haven't received the results yet, but they said if they are going down (and they should be) the pregnancy isn't viable.  If they are going up I should talk to my doctor about having another ultrasound.  Does any of this sound normal?  Should I have any hopes this pregnancy is viable?
Thank you to all of you. I am trying to stay as positive as I can and its people like you that make it possible. Your reassurance has done wonders. *hugz* to all of you. Thanks again.
                            Jess
your both very welcome....they have no idea if you ovulated late or not....they are going by your last period. that doesn't always work....woman can have irregular cycles and ovulate at different times thoughout. as long as your numbers are going up and your progesterone is good then there is nothing to worry about now. the doc should be doing blood tests every few days to keep up with the rising levels and should do an ultra sound around 8 weeks when there is more of a chance to see the baby. it also gives them more leway if they are off on your EDD.

love....kimmie
if your numbers are as good as you say they are i can't see why this would not be a viable PG. they could be wrong on your due date....you could have ovulated later than you though....it is common. your PG so far sounds awsome and very healthy...so what if you period and your due date don't match at this point....once you are 12 weeks they can give you a better estimate....only 3% of babies are born on their EDD....so don't worry yet.

love....kimmie
I do understand that I need to be prepared for a miscarriage. I am definetly torn between both. Just wanted to let you know that I don't exactly come here to have people overwhelm me with positive things, but I come to get feedback from people that have gone through it or know someone who has. But thank you much for your comment. It is appreciated much. :)
                               Jess
i have had several m/c's and a normal PG. every PG is so different. my #s doubles with several of my m/c's and with my normal pG i never doubled. it is so hard to tell woman to woman and PG to pG what will happen....just hold on and remember you aren't given anything you can't handle....and don't let anyone else make a decision for you. you just never know. i hope all is well and you are in my prayers!!!

love....kimmie
Thank you. :)
Thanks for your comments!  That is exactly what I keep telling myself.  They say I am 7 weeks +, but how do they know that.  I told them my cycle is not normal and I'm not sure when I ovulated, etc...  and I feel pregnant and my numbers are going up just like they should.  I'm just stressing myself out with worry and I am trying to remain positive but I don't want to be unrealistic either.  I guess that is why I posted to see what other people thought about my situation.  

Thanks again!
With my second miscarriage I was about 11 weeks before I miscarried. My sono at 8 weeks showed me off by a couple of weeks too. My hcg's were going up but not doubling. They went up a few thousand every 2 days. My doctor told me that was VERY concerning. She said it is rare to carry one that doesn't at least come close to doubling. I had no signs that I would miscarry till I started spotting at 11 weeks. ( I had morning sickness and all) I would be concerned if it only went up by 2,000. I am telling you this because for me it helped me that I was prepared for the worst rather than only getting encouraging news from people. I was prepared in my mind to miscarry which helped me deal with it.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been through several hard miscarriages and a molar pregnancy, but now am on my 5th healthy pregnancy.
I am having the same problem similar to Preachers. On 10/05/05, I found out that I am expecting. I went for my 1st prenatal exam on 10/10/05 and since my LMP was on 09/01/05- my doctor stated that I was around 5wks pregnant due on 06/08/06- I went on 10/24/05 for my 1st ultrasound and the tech stated I was only 6wks pregnant judging from my gestational sac, and my my DD would be 06/18/2005. I am now worried sick because I know that if this is correct then I ovulated about 4days before my period was due and I would have found out I was pregnant only 9days after I ovulated. The heartbeat was 127 beats per minute and the baby is around 5mm long. Is this normal or should I be worried. My doctors office isn't answering my questions clearly. Could I be at risk for a miscarriage too? The tech said everything is normal & healthy but I've never spoken with the doctor to go over my prenatal exam and to tell me about my blood work. I really don't know whats going on? Can any of you help me? This is my first pregnancy too.

Update - Today I went to see a different doctor.  He did an ultrasound and still seeing only the gestational sac.  On 10/24/2005 the ultrasound measured 5 weeks 1 day and today 10/28/2005 it measured 5 weeks and 5 days which seems to be right on from the last one.  However, they still did not see a heartbeat or a fetal pole or anything other than the sac.  This doctor seemed hopeful.  He gave me options as to what could be going on but he didn't seem to condemn the pregnancy yet.  He said we can only wait and see.  He did another HCG test today so we'll see where that is (10/24/05 it was 13,900 - which was still going up and on track).  I'm still trying to think positive but my stress level is on overload.  I can't hardly sleep at night from worrying.  I have another ultrasound on Monday, so we'll see how that goes.