Maternal & Child Community
Gestational Diabetes - Insulin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Gestational Diabetes - Insulin

I posted a question a few days ago asking about gestational diabetes and some info on insulin and possible meds for it.

Well, I had my OB appt today and he is sending me to see an internist to see if I need to be on insulin. My dietitian and I are hoping that he sends me to the one that she works with. If he does, then I will be seeing the internist next Thursday.

My OB also said that after my 36 week scan, he wants me to go to the L&D ward to be monitored for a bit. Then to see him the following week and if my cervix is starting to dilate, he will break my water. My ultrasound is Dec 8 and my Ob appt is Dec 13. I can't believe how close I am. My OB also mentioned that no matter what happens we will be looking at getting me delivered by 38-39 weeks.

I do have a question about insulin. Anyone been on it?? Any info would be great!!

Hi.  My best friend had a high risk pregnancy due to diabetes.  It wasn't gestational though.  She had it before hand.  Anyway, she took insulin through out her whole prenancy (via injection) and her baby is BEAUTIFUL and healthy.  I'm not sure if diabetes and gestational diabetes are the same but if they are, you have to be very strict with yourself.  She was and when they sent her baby off to the nursery, they called her and actually told her, you must have really took care of yourself because your baby is doing really well (they must have been keeping an extra eye on the baby because of the diabetes) But she is great and the baby is great. :-) good luck!
Just wanted to add that, when she was in her third trimester, they raised her doses of insulin.  She explained that it was because her hormones were so off the wall during that time that the insulin was not doing as good of a job then before.  Your suppose to take insulin via injection because it goes straight into your blood stream and doesnt affect the baby so much as an insulin pill might.
Also, the reason why it's so important to control your diabetes especially when your in your third is because, when your giving birth, if your sugar is high, the baby has to produce more insulin out of her own body to keep her safe.  So this could make her very sick .  This is what was explained to me.
Thank you both. I had gestational diabetes with my son (he will be 4 in Jan) but it was controlled with diet alone. I was induced 2 days before my EDD with him because my sugars were not being controlled as good as they could have been.

This time, I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago (I am 33 weeks 1 day now). We figured we could keep it under control with diet alone but now are not sure. I have an appt next Thursday so I will find out then if I am going to be on insulin.

I hate the gestational diabetes diet, I hate having to check my sugar 4 times a day and I will probably hate the insulin too BUT I know that it is best for my baby and will do anything for him/her. I know that it will only be for a short amount of time and I will do ANYTHING to not have another big baby. My son was 9lbs 10oz and 21&3/4in long.

Again, thanks for responding to me!!
I was on insulin with our last.   I went the route of diet and still was high so we started on insulin. I was on it for a week and my ds decided to come 3 weeks early.  All in all it was not to bad, since I new it would be the best for both of us.   Now that was 4 yrs ago and I am not diabetic now. It runs in my family, we check it every 6 months and I have been good.
  Good luck,
Melissa