Maternal & Child Community
Gestational Diabetes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Gestational Diabetes

Just wanted advice/thoughts from anyone else with GD. I am almost 30 weeks and was DX early this week. I'm following the diet plan very strictly and incorporating about 45 min. of walking throughout the day. I also have to test my blood 4 times a day. So far my glucose levels have been in the normal range (70-120) 2 hours after meals and less than 95 in the am b/f breakfast. Actually I'm concerned that the diet plan and exercise are working too well. I kind of feel like I may be losing weight and my #'s are consistently on the low side ( 70-95) 2 hours after meals. The nurse said I am ok  but I don't want to go any lower and I may need more food. I know that high sugar is bad for the baby but so is low sugar. Anyone with any experiences or info. please feel free to share it with me. Also if anyone has delivered already and had GD, I would love to know 1. Were there any compications with baby/or delivery 2. How big was your baby? and 3. Did your GD go away after delivery. Thanks!
Three months ago I delivered my baby after having GD. My numbers were always on the low side too. I had gained 17 lbs when I started the diet and never gained another pound the rest of the pregnancy. My little girl weighed 8 lb 3 oz ( my last 3 babies had weighed between 9-10 lbs but I had passed the 3 hour on those so didn't do the diet)Anyway they monitored my blood sugars through the labor and they were great and never got low like I thought they would from not eating. They will give you sugar in your iv if that happens. Then when she was born they watched her closely. Her blood sugars were bad so they had me nurse her immediately and they were still bad so they gave her some formula which she threw up immediately then I nursed her again and she was fine. No more problems with her sugars at all.
i have had gd with my last pregnancy and with my current one.  i delivered my ds at 39wks via c-section because the dr was concerned about the size.  babies born to gd moms tend to have bigger shoulders and torsos, so we just wanted to be sure.  he was born at 7lb13oz, which may not seem big but my dd was 6lb2oz.  i only gained 12lb during the entire preg. and adhered to the strict diet and blood sugar regime.  my ds sugar was monitored closely after the delivery and he was fine.  i was able to nurse him within 2hrs of delivery and no complications.  i was on glyburide because i had some issues with keeping my bs down.
as soon as i found out i was preg. with this little one i put myself on the diet right away.  i lost about 11lbs in the first trimester and have gained back about 4lbs.  i am now 22wks preg.  i'm actually hoping to only go back to my prepreg. wt. which my dr. ok'd.
I'm high risk, and when I went for my glucose challenge test, they told me my numbers were good, "better than good" at 61.  This is a perinatologist who said this, not just an ob-gyn.  If it is possible to be "too low" and harm the baby, this is not the number.  So don't get yourself frazzled that 70-90 is too low, it's not.  Good luck!
Excuse me, 70-120, not 70-90.  :)
Thank you all for your input and support. I am starting to feel more at ease about the GD. I just want to make sure I am doing everything right for a safe birth and healthy baby.
I had GD for my 1st pg--ds was born at 8lbs 8.5 oz--vagianl birth.  I was also induced for he was a week overdue--his blood sugar was low at birth so they gave him a bottle--nursed him after I wole up from my shot of demoral.  He is now a healthy 3.5 yr old.  Only gained 17lbs with him the whole time--When you go on this diet it is very good for you and the baby--you are able to recover a lot quicker--not a lot of extra weight to get rid of and you are just more helathy--I also did this diet for my 2nd pg--passed three hour test but still followed it a bit more loosely--but still only gained 17 lbs--he was not low on sigar when he was born.  good luck enjoy and don't worry too much--if the ob feels the baby is too big they will let you know and advise if you should be induced early.  MY OB also stated they will o nly let you go 1 week over your due date--if everything is normal.