Maternal & Child Community
Gestational Sac at 5 weeks, 2 days

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Gestational Sac at 5 weeks, 2 days

So I went to the doctor yesterday for a sonogram due to some really bad lower back pain.  The doctor wanted to rule out eptopic and the sac was in the uterus.  However, all they could see was a sac.  The doctor and sonogram technician were not the least bit concerned.  They said that a heartbeat could not be seen until at least 5 weeks, 6 days but usually 6 weeks.  I am only worried because I thought I remembered seeing my daughter's heartbeat at 5 weeks.  I am trying not to be concerned since the doctor was not.  I have another appt. for February 2 (two weeks).  He said he is sure we will see a heartbeat then.  Anyone else not see a heartbeat and then see one?
It is very common to not see a heartbeat so early. A lot of women come on these forums with the same worries and then learn all is well. I am sure you will see one at the next appointment. Congrats on the pregnancy and keep us updated on your next appointment.
It is normal not see the heartbeat at 5 weeks.  I only saw the sac at 5 weeks.  Don't worry yourself.  Same thing happend to me.  I saw the baby and heartbeat at 7 weeks.  
Hugs
Athena
I agree with the above.  It is not typical to see a heartbeat at 5 weeks.  I had u/s at 5 weeks (only gest sac), 6 weeks (gest sac, yolk sac and maybe the very beginning of the fetal pole), and 7w4d (saw heartbeat).  Try not to worry.  Sometimes the heartbeat isn't visible on an u/s until around 8 weeks, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with the baby.
This is providing me some comfort. I went in for a vaginal u/s on Jan 11th and they saw the gest sac but no yolk sac or fetal pole but said I was only measuring about 4 weeks along (I had been having pain on my left said that is the reason for such an early ultrasound). The scheduled another ultra sound for me today vaginal again...I measued appx. 5 weeks....but still nothing in the gest sac...I mean it looks like a perfect black circle in my uterus. Thanks everyone..keep the post coming!