Maternal & Child Community
Gestational diabetes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Gestational diabetes

I am 31 weeks pregnant now.  I was diagnosed with having gestational diabetes when i was 28 weeks...my numbers were up only by few...around 5-10 more...i am now on strict diet and i am able to control my blood sugar well except for my fasting level...it is usually more than 95 but less than 100...but my two hour numbers are within normal limits...it is usually less than 125...i do walk a lot...i walk an hour after each meal, but i am scared about my morning numbers...can someone tell me as to what should i do to control my fasting sugars?

P.S. ya i feel nervous and anxious while testing my fasting...i guess that could also be playing a major role...can someone please help me
My fasting numbers were always low--I amde sure that before bed I did not eat anything with processed sugar in it and hardly anything with natural sugar ,no milk, no fruits..usually cheese or peanuts sometimes popcorn..I tried to make sure to eat before bed that way I was not ravenous in the morning and would not overeat the wrong types of food.  I was diabetic with my first and with the diet was also able to control my #'s.  I cut out a lot of foods that I probably could eat but just did not take the chance.  I ate a lot of grilled chicken breasts, meat, eggs...I would eat some carbs but not a whole lot...I wish I could stick to that diet now days...I did go against the grain and ate fruit in the morning...I had yogurt with fruit and grape nuts almost every morning...Just remeber to keep your blood sugar level throughout the day it helps with overnight numbers for then your body isn't trying so hard to process reserves.
I am in the same boat, my fasting is usually in the 90s some where - but my doctor has no problem with that because my 2 hour after breakfast is usually still under 120.  I wouldn't worry to much about it, sounds like you are doing a good job controlling it, but maybe cut out any carbs at night before bed.
thanks a lot for your response...i am asked to take one hour blood sugar after every meals...it is below 125 all the time..i am sorry i said it is 2 hour in my previous posting...well...i had been to my doctor today...she started me on 0.6 mg of glyburide just to keep my morning blood sugars less than 95.  I am not at all happy with taking pills.  i am also worried about going low at night...usually my readings are well controlled with diet and exercise. i walk for almost 4 hours a day and my numbers after breakfast, lunch, and dinner are mostly less than 120 after one hour...my reading after dinner is usually between 115-120....my doctor was also very happy to see my rest of the readings during the day.  i dont understand how can they say +/- 5 would affect the baby?? do they have any statistics?? and do they take demographic locations into consideration?? cuz i am from India, but in US now...my sister in law had her baby last year and she said that normal fasting is less than 110 and after two hour it is 140...i asked all these questions, but they had no answer for me...this is all very confusing...can someone tell me if i am making sense or am i being silly with all this in mind :(
please go thru this website...just for information
http://www.obgyn.net/pregnancy-birth/pregnancy-birth.asp?page=/pb/articles/gestational_diabetes
I don't know anything about this topic. But I thought it was nifty how we're both 31 weeks this week. Our babies could be born days or even hours apart.
GOOD LUCK!!!
wow...our babies r gonna be born hours apart...:)...how is your pregnancy coming along?
i am 28 and a half weeks now and i am due in the middle of july. but since i am having a csection, my doctor said i can have the baby in the first week of july. so i'm probably in with you guys. lol
I had GD too and I was able to control all my sugars through diet too except for my morning fasting. I was put on long acting insulin which I injected after my bedtime snack. In Canada the pills you're taking haven't yet been approved. However, I did want to ease your fear of having low blood sugar. My endocronologist assured me that pregnancy was an "insulin resistant" state and that low blood sugar is rare. I was on a high dose of insulin and even with that high dose it was difficult to bring my fasting sugars down. Good luck and PM me if you have any more concerns.
thanks for the info...even i am not comfortable taking glyburide...i bought the pills from the pharmacy but not yet started...i just tried changing my evening snack and dinner time and for the past two days fasting numbers were normal...day before 93 and today it was 82...so if this continues then i am going to throw the tablets into trash...:)
I am due on June 29th...but mostly i would be having c-section cuz my baby is breech as of now...i will have to take an ultrasound to determine the position of the baby sometime during the first week of June...if the baby hasnt turned then they will talk to be about c-section...:)...good luck with everything
Can anyone tell me if feeling anxious and nervous raises the fasting blood sugar levels? I get very anxious while taking my FBS...:(
It shouldn't affect it.

Just wanted to reassure you about the glyburide.  We use it all the time in the US.  Don't throw them in the trash!  You may need them later.  

Be sure you have a protein/light carb snack before bed, around 9pm.  Ironically, if you are too hungry and your BS levels fall during the night, you can have higher fasting levels in the morning b/c your body releases some emergency stores if you go too low during your sleep.  

Sounds like you are working very hard at this.  You are doing well, and don't get horribly concerned about the numbers you report.  I think your doctor is being a bit nit picky.  
thanks a lot.  ya i have been working very hard to keep my FBS under control...for the past three days...i changed my night snack to less carbs and more protein and it has been 93, 82, and 92...i am glad that it is less than 95...i am nervous to take glyburide as i am scared about low sugars at night...and my one touch monitor gives me different readings on each finger...so i seriously doubt the accuracy of the monitor too...i spoke to my docs about this but they are still adamant in putting me on the pills, which i think is crazy at this point of time...and i wouldnt hesitate taking the pills once my FBS is +10...praying to god that my diet shd keep on working the same way throughout my pregnancy so that i dont have to touch the pill at all :)...am i taking sense or am i just being silly?? i need some suggestions :(
Just a comment on the different readings on each finger.  You can do 10 readings on 10 fingers and get 10 different numbers.  The monitor is accurate, but each reading can be off by a bit--there is variation that is normal.  There is not "one" correct number.  You don't want to do repeated samplings at one time, if that's what you're doing.

Take ONE test at the appropriate time, and record that number.  Just wanted to be sure that you weren't doing what my husband does sometimes--he tests 3 times in the morning and takes the lowest reading.  I want to beat him over the head when he does that!

The number won't change depending on the finger, but it will vary each time you take a reading.  Use the FIRST reading, and don't do anymore until the next time.

I think you're doing just fine.  Later in pregnancy, GD can worsen so keep on with what you're doing!  Also, its not easy to go too low at night on glyburide.  Its commonly used and very safe under a doctors care and advice, so if you have to use it, don't be scared.
One more thing--if your numbers are where the doctors want them to be, speak your mind to them and tell them you are not comfortable using medication unless they go back to showing an elevation.
thanks for your suggestions :)...i dont test multiple times on the same finger...i did it once cause when i tested after dinner at night...my BS was 73...i was very surprised looking at the result as i never got this number...i tested again just to make sure it is the right number and immediately i got 114...after that i never tested it again. i do it only once...anyway thanks for your advice...i will keep everything in mind and act accordingly..thanks for your help