Maternal & Child Community
Getting Nails Done while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Getting Nails Done while pregnant

I was wondering if any of you had gotten the acrylic nails while you were pregnat. I have heard that it is okay and some say it is just an old wives tale that goes along with getting hair color done. I have always bit my nails horribly so taking prenatal vitmins doesnt really help. I got them doen before I foudn out I was pregnant and just want to do something to pamper myself and make myslef feel better.
i had my nails done while pregnant with all my kids, my ob said it was fine, just try not to be in there too long, and he also told me to ask for one of those masks the techs wear, while it wont completely block the chemicals, it will help a little.
I've heard you're not supposed to do it but.... so many women do! This girl I know got her nails done, and hari dyed. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, that was going to be one of my questions at my next OB visit this Friday, because I love pampering myself. So when I find out from a Dr. I will let you know!
I have been getting my nails done for the last 3 years.  I still get them done now.  I always ask for a mask.  I have heard of this, but I just thought my husband was just saying it to mess with me.  Please let me know what your dr. says
I quit doing acrylics in my 1st trimester and resumed 1/2 way through the second. I just want to let you know that they now have an all natural product on the market that is supposed to be 99% chemical-free called Bio Gel a.k.a. Seaweed Gel. In fact, not only is it safer but it looks even more natural. It's more expensive than acrylic but it's worth every penny if you're talking about the well-being of your baby.
A friend of mine got hers done with her second pregnancy.  OBGYN said it was fine just make sure you go to a place where it has good ventulation and ask for a mask.
when not pg, i die my hair once a month.  while pg, i die about 2x in a nine mo period.  i have to.  my hair is naturally a nasty wierd brown color, and i wear my hair very blond.  i cant go to work and look terrible, as i have to dress up in the office...etc.  probably best to do nothing though.  maybe have the manicurist come to your house if the salon is too stinky.
make sure to pick a fun color!  :)
The chemicals in getting your hair dyed and nails done are way to harsh.. I hear some saying well I have done it and my baby is fine... Well your not supposed to drink, smoke do drugs and people do that too while pregnant.. I am not putting anyone down. But I want a baby more than anything right now and I just could not see me taking a risk with my child's health and wellbeing... It just is not worth it to me... Sure everyone can say tehy did something and it didnt cause anythign but look at the ones it did cause problems for... then ask yourself is your unborn child worth that risk.... I know mine is, or will be if I ever get to have one to fullterm.... Good luck though...
nails are safe but its just inhaling all those fumes for too long.  I had mine taken off because you'd be suprised at how great your nails are when pregnant.  Mine never looked better and are so strong!
As a nail tech I have learned that it is not so much the acrylic as it is the dust that is released. Wear a mask!
IM A TRAINED BEAUTICIAN AND I HAVE TO DO NAILS DAILY BUT I HAVE A WELL VENT TABLE AND HAVE MASK TO OFFER IM 7 MONTH PREGNANT AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS SO WEN HAVING YOUR NAILS DONE MAKE SURE ITS WELL VENTALATED AND YOU WILL BE FND TRUST ME IM AN EXPERT