Maternal & Child Community
Getting pregnant after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Getting pregnant after miscarriage

I started to experience bleeding & cramps at 8/9 weeks which got heavier. I was sent for a scan which showed a healthy uterus and a fetus the size of a 3 weeks old baby, i was asked to return one week later for a further scan to compare against the this. This scan showed no change and i was told it was an "inevitable miscarriage".  With christmas approaching i chose to have a D & C (dilatation and curettage).  My fiance and i felt we were ready to try for a baby straight away, and all the warnings given about waiting were for emotions and to allow your body to return back to normal.  My body had started to reverse already and i had not had pregnancy symptoms past 4weeks, so we thought we would be ok to try.  We have been trying for the past 2 weeks now.  
My concern is that i have just read an article that says that if you conceive after a miscarriage before your first menstrual period you are one and a half times more likely to miscarry this time.  Is this the case????
after my miscarriage on nov 14th i did have unprotecetd sex before my first cycle, i did not become pregnant, first cycle was on dec 12 and hopefully now it has happened . my advice would be to wait at least a month . i have heard all different things and if the dr tells you to wait then i would. i know my dr said at least 3 but if it would happen sooner everything SHOULD be ok . good luck to you and sorry about your loss
I too am struggling with when to try to conceive after my miscarriage in November. My physician recommended we wait 3 months to try again. It seems like forever (until February)!!! I've been looking up as much as I can on when it is "safe" to try again. Most of what I've read recommends waiting for at least one normal period to allow your uterus time to prepare for another pregnancy, which I think makes sense. As far as waiting for 2 or 3 months, it seems to be more of an emotional healing time and time for your menstrual cycle to regulate so the pregnancy can be better dated. It seems to depend on who you talk to...I think you could ask 3 different physicians and probably get 3 different answers. It sure makes it hard for us, doesn't it? I miscarried on Nov. 8th and I've had one normal period and soon I'm expecting my 2nd to come. It's going to be so hard to wait for the 3rd, but I'm going to try. Good Luck to you, and I pray that your future pregnancies are all healthy.
Wow, our situations are really similiar right now. I miscarried on Nov. 8th and my last period was Dec 10th. Keep me posted on how the trying to conceive is going. Hopefully we'll both be pregnant in the next few months.
you should no soon right? good luck to you, usually i can tell when i ovulate, this month was kin of weird though i think with the d n c and all , things were a bit srewed up! hopefully what i thought was right.....keep me posted
A lot of us including myself are experiencing the same situation as you are. My doctor has asked me to wait until I have one cycle and I can begin trying again. He told me that I wouldn't have to wait 3 cycles because I was so early in my pregnancy that it hadn't really affected my body. I know that you want this really bad because I am feeling the same way, but listen to your doctor. He just wants the best for you.
Hi, I just wanted to share that my first miscarriage (missed) was in January of 03 (had a d&c after my body didn't naturally expel all the lining) and started trying right away.  I never had a problem getting pregnant before and finally conceived in July of 03.  unfortunately that was an ectopic (total fluke) but it did take me that long to conceive trying very hard! I know some people conceive right away but don't get too down on yourself if it doesn't happen right away...your body just may not be quite ready...Good luck to all!
I too have experienced a loss. I loss my fourth on Dec 12, and I am already trying again. I know my body and I really want a healty baby. So, I going ahead. Sorry to all for your losses, but keep your hopes up. I had not had a d&c after my other losses, so maybe it was all I needed. Wish me luck.
I just wanted to let you know that I got pregnant 3 weeks after my D&C and I am now 35 weeks--no problems at all--the time period the doctor gives is usually to let you heal emotionally as well as physically. Chances of miscarriage are the same everytime you get pregnant---not just because you get pregnant soon after a D&C or natural miscarriage. Hope this helps.
Hi everyone. just found this site, finding it very helpful, although i've barely stopped crying reading everyone's experiences, happy & sad, its comforting to know i'm not the only one.  i had a miscarriage (1st pregnancy) on christmas day at week 10 and a d&c on Jan 5. we're ready to try again straight away and were advised that there no was no real need to wait until my first cycle, other than the fact it would make it easier to date. i'm probably just being very optomistic, but i felt as though the hormones had left me almost instantly & i didn't feel pregnant anymore, but over the last 2-3 days my breasts have become very tender & i've been very tired as before surely its not possible that we could be pg again so soon? just wondering what you think?
I was just wondering if you used ovulation perdictors or how did you know if you hadn't had a regular period....congrats on the pregnancy.......good luck
I've just been reading other people's comments and it is a comfort to know that things I have felt are the same as yourselves.
I found out Dec 2002 I was pregnant, after trying for 2 years with my husband, we were both elated of course, but very early on I was very sick, I couldn't keep anything down and the thought of eating food made me want to be sick.
Our 16 week scan showed the baby was alive, but was an anencephaly (the head had not developed) I'll never forget seeing it kick on the scan.  Our option was to deliver at 16 weeks or carry to term and deliver. Our decision was to deliver at 16 weeks, the outcome was still the same eitherway, the baby would die. Mu husband and I both felt like murderers, but we coped and carried on as best we could. I was put on a higher dose of folic acid 5mg to hopefully rule out another birth defect in future pregnancies.  3 months later I discovered I was expecting again, we were sent for an early scan, but were told it was too early to see a heartbeat, there was a pregnancy sac there but no heartbeat could be seen, we went back for a re-scan 2 weeks later, the news wasn't good though, the scan showed the pregnancy had not developed at all.  The doctor who we saw called it blighted ovum, or a missed miscarriage.
The following day I had a d&c, followed by 6 months of irregular periods. In Dec 2003, I discivered I was pregnant for a third time, more wary this time I found I could not get ecstatic about it.  The day after New Year, I started to bleed, so rushed to my doctors who said that if it was only spotting there was nothing to worry about, it was and there was no pain.
The following day there was alot more blood, so once again we were scanned early on, again we were told it was too early and to go back in a week for a re-scan.  We had a 50/50 chance of the pregnancy continuing.  But the following day I had period like cramping and miscarried alone in my home.  It was very frightening, but I held on to hope until the scan 2 days later confirmed I definitely had.
It has been 3 weeks since the third pregnancy failed I am getting all the symptoms of pregnancy again and am now scared.
Whilst I want a baby more than ever, I don't want to lose another one, the alternative though is to give up and never have children and I couldn't do that either.  So I go on.
I TOO HAVE HAD A RECENT M/C. ACTUALLY, IT HAPPENED ON OCT 31ST 03. I FOUND OUT YESTERDAY THAT I AM PREGNANT AGAIN. PROBABLY 5 WEEKS. I DO HAVE MILD CRAMPING AND CANT HELP BUT WONDER IF IM GOING TO MISCARRY AGAIN OR IF ITS MY ENDOMETRIOSIS. IM SCARED TO DEATH AND MY HUSBAND HATES TALKING ABOUT THE NEW PREGNANCY. GOD BLESS ALL OF THE WOMEN OUT THERE WHO HAVE HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH PREGNANCY AND I HOPE THE LORD BLESSES.     KRYSTAL
I just had a miscarriage Dec 21st at 8wks. I have been trying to concieve (conceive) for a year now. My problem now is that my best friend, whom is not married, was not trying to get pregnant and was totally devestated when she discovered she was, angers me just to look at her. I was only a week ahead of her when I was pregnant. She is now starting to show and I over hear other people discussing the sex of her baby on the ultrasound. I would like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and how you got over the anger. I know she should be happy now and she is. And I know she cant help my anger. I just cant seem to get past the resentment. It makes me mad that she gets a baby and I dont.  I am finding myself avoiding her and not wanting to engage in conversation with her. It is a really awkward situation. Any sugestions? Thanks.
Hi lolasmom,

I may not have the answer to your problem, but I am in your situation, my sister in law is 20 weeks pg with first baby, I feel so angry as she is treating it as an illness and very attention seeking, my bro even goes to the loo with her!!
she had bleeding to begin with but it stopped, she so contradicts herself saying you shouldnt do this and that but then turns round and says she has been eating everything that is bad for you in pregnancy.  I know it is sooooo difficult, all I want is my own healthy baby and sometimes I want it so bad I can imagine the feelings I feel for my baby.
There is no easy way to avoid someone close who is pregnant, but your time will come!!  I believe in fate and my babies were not meant to live in this life, but I know I will have children.
The best thing you can do is to talk to your friend, but divert conversations away from baby talk, if she is a good friend she will understand you don't want to talk about it.  I have forced myself to talk to people about their babies and children and it kills me, but it WILL HAPPEN!! Believe it.... All the best
Krystal

Let me know how the pg is going
I will be thinking good thoughts for you
For lolasmom. I understand how you feel. I was very young when I got pregnant. I went to a school that was filled with pregnant girls. I lost my baby but they just kept going. I knew that some of them were doing drugs, they didnt really want to be pregnant. It was hear wrenching I was young but I really wanted a baby and I really took good care of myself and these girls who wernt even sure who the father was or think that they should realy quit the drugs or the drinking were having babies left and right and I coulnt get past the first trimester. Good luck youll get there. I now have two boys . 5 and 7
My husband & I have been trying to get pregnant for nine years, and finally succeeded this year, but lost the baby after eight weeks.  I didn't miscarry the baby, the baby passed away.  This is very hard to deal with for me, but know that our baby is now in God's care.  My doctor also told us to wait until after my first cycle.  My D & C was a suctioned D & C and was done, Monday; March 1, 2004.  We want to start trying again right away, but are choosing to wait like the doctor recommended.  I have really enjoyed reading all the success you guys have had after your D & C's.  Your stories really give me hope in the future.  Good Luck to All in the future and May God Bless Us All with Healthy Babies in the future....
I have really learned a lot from reading everyone's experiences. I am glad to see that I am normal. I found out that I was pregnant in Jan. after trying for about a year. My first visit didn't go very good. I was 7 weeks but only measuring 5. I went back the next week and still measured. I drew blood to check HCG levels and they had only gone from 8000 to 1200 in 7 days. That isn't good. I went for the 3rd ultrasound and everything was still the same do we decided to do a d&c.But before the appt came for that i started bleeding on my own on march 5. I have been bleeding ever since. I am wondering if i will need to have a D&c anyway. I hope not. We will definately be trying as soon as i can figure out when i am ovulating. Thank you all for sharing your stories.
Are you cramping also or just bleeding like as if you were on your AF?

I don't mean to sound noisy but are you passing blood clots?  You may be doing everything on your own.
You  may not need a D&C because your body seems to be expelling it naturally.  It all depends how far along you were.  If you stop bleeding then that most likely meant that your body naturally cleaned itself and if there is nothing left in your uterus, (you should verify with getting an ultrasound done) then you should be fine.  

Only if you continue to bleed constantly and have severe cramps for more than a few days is when most likely you will need a D&C.  Or if an ultrasound is done and there is still something left in your uterus.

Hope this helps,
Norma
I found out I was pregnant when I was almost 17 weeks, he was healthy except for them not being able to see the "bubble" in his stomach. Everything looked great then 3-9-04 I started cramping and spotting, by the time I got to the ER he was gone.I had a d&c on 3-12.  I was told to wait a cycle. My husband and I just started trying again yesterday, I am scared to death. We still have not got the results of the autopsy, but our parents said he looked normal.  We are keeping our fingers crossed.  Good luck and thanks to all of you.
I found out I was pregnant when I was 17 weeks. I had 3 ultrasounds.  He kicked alot and looked healthy.We named him Jacob Anthony.  3/9/04 I started to cramp & spot, by the time I got to the ER his heart had stopped.  I had a d&c 3/12/04, my DR told us to wait 1 cycle. I am scared but my husband is confident all will be ok. I'm scared because we still have not gotten the results of the autopsy back. We have waited for my next cycle, and we started trying again just yesterday. Thanks for listening, its been a while since I've cried. Also, my sister-in-law is due 2 weeks after I was due. I really can't spend any time with her.I'm jealous she already has one baby.
i recently miscarried but found out i had carried the baby for five weeks before i realize it was dead i had my first ultrasound on march 12 and had a heartbeat the baby was six weeks and six days old, i went five weeks later on the 12th of april and realized i miscarried the baby only was measuring 7weeks and four days couldn't get a heartbeat they think it was a blighted ovrum but if i had a baby then it isn't right, well i am scared to try again but i wanna know how u know when u ovalulate i have really weird periods or when i ovalulate is off of my period conception i should have been 15 weeks from last menstrual period but i was only 11 weeks and 2 days when i discover the miscarriage

thanks
HI ALL NICE TO HEAR  ALL YOUR STORYS I FOUND OUT I WAS PREGNANT ON JAN 4TH WE WAS OVER  THE MOON AS WE WANTED 1 LAST TRY FOR A BOY AS WE HAVE 3 GIRLS AND AFTER THAT OTHER 1 MY PARTNER WAS GONNA HAVE THE SNIP(OUCH)I STARTED BLEEDING IN MARCH I WAS 10 WEEKS THE SCAN SHOWED A SIX WEEK FETOUS SO THEY SAID COME BACK NEXT WEEK I WENT BACK STILL THE SAME BUT THE DAY B4 I WENT BACK I LOST 2 BIG CLOTS SO I THOUGHT OH GOOD NO NEED FOR A D N C BUT WHEN THEY GAVE ME AN INTERNAL SCAN I HAD LOST SOME OF THE SACK BUT NOT THE FETOUS SO I HAD TO HAVE A D N C .I STARTED BLEEDING 4 WEEKS AFTER THE D N C BUT NOT A HEAVY BLEED SO I DONT KNOW IF IT WAS A PERIOD OR NOT AS I HAVE BEEN TOLD YOUR 1ST PERIOD IS A BAD ONE CAN ANYONE HELP AND TELL ME IF I HAVE HAD A PERIOD OR NOT AS I DONT KNOW I BLEED ON AND OFF AFTER  MY D N C TILL THE 2 ND WEEK    AFTER I HAD IT DONE ITS BEEN 5 WEEKS SINCE MY D N C NOW SO ITS GETTING CLOSE FOR ME TO TRY AGAIN I FEEL OK EMOTIONALLY CAUSE I KNOW I HAVE 3 GIRLS AND CAN TRY AGAIN.I AM SO SORRY FOR ALL YOUR LOSSES I FEEL FOR YOU I DO MY SISTER CANT HAVE ANY KIDS SHE HAD A HYSTERECTAMY WHEN SHE WAS BORN SO SHE WILL NEVER EXPERIENCE   BEING  PREGNANT SO I AM GRATEFULL  FOR HAVING 3 PRETTY GIRLS AGE 10 8 4.ONCE AGAIN GOOD LUCK  TO YOU ALL.
I recently experienced a fetal demise - and was told to go home and 'wait for mother nature to take it's course'....which I found easier said than done.  I felt like I was losing my mind knowing something that I wanted so much was dead inside of me - and I ended up going to an abortion clinic - which turned out to be the best decision for me.  I understand the theory of passing things on your own, but I have a friend whose sister has had over a dozen miscarriages.  Her doctor told her that you should ALWAYS have a d&c after a miscarriage if you intend to try again.  By the time she had one, there was so much old tissue in her uterus, that THAT was what was making her miscarry.  It seems that having a complete miscarriage is rare.  Has anyone heard of having a blot clot above the gestational sac - and causes for this??  God bless you all who have been hurting enough to find yourselves here - have faith.
Hi everyone.  I can't tell you how theraputic it has been for me to read about everyone's experiances - because sometimes, I feel so alone.  I'm 25 (well I will be 25 tomarrow, 4-24) and had a D&C last Friday (4-16).  I was expected to be 15-16 weeks pregnant when I went in for my ultra sound, but my baby only measured to be 9 and without a heart beat.  I can't even begin to tell you what went through me when they told me that. I had a D&C that day.  I have a 7 year old son, who I had when I was in high school.  My baby's father (whom I had my miscarriage) has been with me since my son was a little over 1.  We have been through hell and high water and are still together.  We haven't had protected sex in probably 3 years and weren't nessicarly TRYING for a baby and were estatic when we found out we were.  I NEVER would have expected to lose my baby, especially after having one already.  At first I didn't know if I wanted to try again and now I just can't seem to wait untill we can begin to try again.  When I found out I was pregnant I questioned if I was ready for another child, because it had been so many years since my son was a baby - but now I know, with out a doubt that I am ready.  I wish you ALL good luck and you will ALL be in my prayers - please say one for me too - as we will be trying again VERY soon.  Thank you for sharing your stories and giving me piece of mind.

ALSO, to Lolasmom -

A month after I found out I was pregnant my friend, who is a bit WILD, found out she was pregnant with her 4th baby.  He oldest 2 live with their father, and her baby who is 1 and a half, barely knows her father. From the time she found out she was pregnant, kept making ultimatums with herself, that if the baby is guy #1's then she would quit smoking cigarettes and do this and that, but if it's guy #2's then she just wasn't going to have it and so on.  Guy #1, basically said he didn't want her- due to a question of paternity with her 1 1/2 year old (turns out he wasn't the dad and was very hurt) - but said he would raise this baby should it be his, for her to give it up  for adoption, but anything but abortion, which was her anwser for this baby once she realized she wasn't wanted.  Needless to say, a week before I found out of my babys' death, she went and had an abortion.  I can't begin to tell you how it made me feel, knowing or atleast thinking that I had a baby growing insdie of me.  But in the end, whether I agree or not, ultimatly it's her decision.  Then when my baby died, I sat and just questioned it all, how she could kill her baby - or have the opportunity to have yet another child, and me, who wanted so badly, my baby - why God would take it from me?
i was 14 going on 15 when i first got preg by rape. i was 6wks preg and had a miscarriage. now im 18 and it still hurts. im so scared to lose this one and freaking out. see my ex and me planned this pregnancy and we knew we werent ready but our emotions took over because its my dream to be preg. i am 3wks and alone but hes still in my life but we were better as friends
~mandy
Hi all,
It has been helpful to read your stories; I know I am not alone. I have 2 daughters - a 7
Hi all,
It is good to read everyones stories.  I am trying to figure out how long it takes to ovulate after a m/c.  My HcG numbers started dropping on Apr 19th and I was back at Zero by the 23rd (I was only @ 5wks).  The doctors don't seem to think this is all that important.  Anyway I have always been a 28 day girl and figure I should get A/F this week.  If anyone can help I would appreciate it.  We can't wait for another baby...Good luck to everyone.
Thanks!
I've read all of your posts and they have made this experience so much more bearable, just to know that I'm not alone in this has been somewhat comforting.  I went in yesterday for a 13 week u/s and the baby stopped growing at 7 weeks.  I am 28 yrs old and this is my first preg.  My husband and I were devastated to hear the news.  We are awaiting blood work tomorrow and trying to decide if I should let this occur naturally or if we should ask for a D&C.  The doc feels that it is better to let it expell naturally bc the D&C is invasive and has risks associated.  On the other hand, I don't want to experience the bleeding and still need a D&C.  Can anybody tell me their experiences with a D&C?  One of the things that my dr is worried about is forcing the cervix open.  I heard that women who have abortions are given pills that go inside of them to help them dilate more naturally.  If I can dilate myself and then go in for it, or use a method such as the pills, will that be less risky?  Can they put me under anesthesia?  When it is over will I still be bleeding and cramping?  Will I know if they punctured the uterus?  It seems to me to be better if I have them go in and clean it all out.  When can I expect AF again?  I hope it isn't too difficult for you ladies to discuss this, but any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
First off i'm SO sorry for your loss =( I've been through it too and it still hurts to think about it.  I had two d&c's.  The first miscarriage I had I lost the baby and ended up in the ER with severe blood loss.  After I dilated and the baby came out then they sent me home and gave me methergine and something else for pain.  A week later I was still bleeding heavily and they gave me a d&c.  I wish I had the d&c to begin with.  After the d&c my bleeding was minimal and I felt so much better emotionally and physically.  Its' day surgery and you're home the same night and you are put to sleep so you don't remember anything.  I don't do well w/ anestesia but I would much rather go through that then the waiting.  After my first d&c I had my period 4 weeks later..and got pregnant 6 months later.  ((((hugs)))) for you and let us know how you are doing.  Kellie
Wow! What a blessing this site and you all have been to me! I got pregnant in January 2004 (1st pregnancy) and was elated! I was 19 weeks and 4 days when I began to experience pre-term labor. I thought because I was told that it was round ligament pulling. I had no vaginal bleeding but did go to the ER and to see my OB because of the pain. After being sent home twice in one week, the pain (labor) became unbearable and I went to another ER where they told me I was having a miscarriage on May 27th. I definitely do not consider it a miscarriage being that I gave birth to a healthy, beautiful son who lived for several minutes. I know that it was God's will to take His angel with Him. I am ready to try again after my 6 weeks--but I am scared. This has been emotionally draining for me, my boyfriend, family and friends. After a two week follow-up,I also found out that I may have uterine fibroid tumors (which could of possibly caused the loss of my baby.) Has anyone experienced a m/c because of fibroids or can anyone give me insight on getting pregnant again after having the fibroids removed? What a peace of mind I have knowing that I am not alone. I will continue to uplift you all in prayer for future and present, healthy and happy pregnancies!
I recently had my second m/c in Mid May and now I am pregnant again.  Should I be worried.  The doctor did ask that I at least wait until after my first period, but I really didn't want to wait any longer.  I felt that I am ready.  I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow and am nervous of what she has to say to me.  Has anyone gone through this?
This site is such a blessing for me I have had alot of problems trying to stay pregnant. One year ago while pregnant the doctors detected something in the sono. my baby only had half a heart so after the birth they were going to operate to fix her heart but found more complacations so the end result was she died two days after she was born. My second I went into premature labor at 5 months he didn't make it either. And now I'm on try number three only to find out at 8 weeks I have a sac with no fetus and now I'm feeling alittle uncertain about trying again and wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem.  Please let me know I need the support.
First of all I wish you all the best of luck on getting pregnat again after miscarriage. After my first miscarriage I got pregnant right away. I had one period then boom positive pregnacy test. I had a healthy little girl so don't give up! it can happen right away.! My doctor at the time had suggested we wait at least 3 months but I am proof that you can carry full term soon after a miscarriage. I have since then miscarried 2 more times and feel blessed that I have my daughter.
Hi everyone. I'm sorry to hear about your losses and happy to hear that some of you have gone on to have healthy pregnancies. I conceived as soon as my husband and I started trying, but miscarried at 5 weeks on 8/28/04. I had a natural m/c with no D&C - but am seeing the OB/GYN next week. I'm 34 and know that the risk of miscarriage is higher as we get older. My husband and I want to try again right away, but I keep reading varying suggestions of waiting at least one cycle or up to 3 months before trying again. Does anyone know how long it will take for my cycle to get back to normal after the m/c? I'm a 28-day girl.

As for those who have friends/relatives who are pregnant and really don't want to be, I understand. I'm not a bitter person at all, however I can't help but question why so many women who desperately want children have difficulties and those who could care less/abuse their bodies conceive and go full-term so easily...

Also, if you live in the Boston area, do not go to the emergency room at Melrose/Wakefield Hospital if you are miscarrying. That's where my husband and I went. They were insensitive and unhelpful - I would have been better off staying home than waiting over 5 hours in the ER as I was bleeding profusely and miscarried. I know they couldn't have stopped it, but their bedside manner was deplorable!

God bless!
Bit relieved to know about so many ladies with similar problems. Felt little better after reading all those stories. In fact, I've a lovely 5 year old girl and am very happy with her. Lately we started realizing that due to our careers (me and my husband, both are working as scientists)we're forcing our child to be lonely. Since we've very friendly relations she expresses sometimes that an ideal family should have mom,dad, kid and baby(how innocent!!). So I tried last year and unfortunately had a natural miscarriage of a 10 wk old PG. As doctors said after 3 months we've been trying but somehow its not happenning. I don't know what's wrong with me although periods are coming regularly. Sometimes we wonder if I forgot the procedure of being pregnant because its been a while--. Any suggestions? Thank you so much anyway, for this site.
I'm 29. I have an 12 yr old. an 8 yr old and a 7 yr old. I found out I was pregnant July 4th. I had my first prenatal appointment July 9th. On July 17 I rushed to the emergency room @ 7 weeks pregnant with brown spotting. Blood work was done as well as a vaginal ultrasound, I was discharged after being told baby was fine, attached, with a good heartbeat and expected hormone levels. On July 30th I was sent to the ER by my OB since she couldn't find the heartbeat on Doppler. Again, I have blood work, and a vaginal ultrasound. Again, I'm discharged, and adviced to change OB, since the ER Dr. felt she stressed me out for no reason. Finally on 8/12 I had felt cramping all day. Called the ER(same hospital) was told "If there's no discharge, spotting, gush or if I didn't have any headaches, or trouble seeing, to lay on my left side." She explained it was just my uterus growing, and the ligaments stretching, she said 2 tylenols should help. On monday 8/14 I went to pee, and when I pulled down my underwear, there was a deep wine colored, clotty mess. An ambulance rushed me to the same hospital. Again, more blood work and a vaginal ultrasound were done. I asked the ultrasound tech, to tell me if she saw a heartbeat. She said NO, I'm sorry. I was wheeled back to triage, where I then asked my nurse, am I miscarrying? she said no honey, your baby died in utero. I was then discharged @ 1 pm and told I would be experiencing a heavy period within the next few days. Later on @ 5 pm I went into labor. It would start and stop until 7:15 when my water broke in my bed. I then walked to my bathroom where I filled the tub. I put a towel in to sit on. Contractions kept coming stronger and closer till I passed my baby, then blood, then clots, then an intact placenta and yolc sac. I was instructed to return to the ER with "the products of conception" I got there by 10 was seen. More blood work, an ultrasound showed I was "empty", "clean" and was fine. The Dr. who discharged me, wouldn't open the jar to inspect my baby. He just threw it in the garbage behind me like a basketball!! I had no idea why ask me to bring it in. If I had known, I would've saved it in the fridge until I was able to see my OB. It was the single most horrid experience of my life!! I have never given birth, nor experienced labor! I had all my kids by scheduled C-section. This will stay with me forever!

I was also diagnosed with cysts in my right ovary, I wonder if this had anything to do with it. I have never had a miscarriage, nor anyone else in my family. Good luck to all the women on this site, god bless your hearts!
hi there everyone,reading evryones comments on here and what u have all been through just brings it all back for me.
6wks ago i started bleeding when i was in turkey on holiday,i had no pain just clots evry other day.i kept in touch with my mid wife and said not 4 me 2 worry.i come ome 15th june nd was having my scan 16th.i would of been bout 10/11wks but sadly the baby died and was measuring at 5 weeks.i still dont understand how i took so long to miscarry?following monday i got rushed in2 hospital i was bleeding very heavy nd passed through the placenta baby and blood clots they kept me in for 4days after.it has now been 2 1/2 wks since i have come out and have been back and fore 4 scans and i have still got clots in me womb but my body still dont seem 2 be able to pass th through.it will be my 3rd scan wednesday and if i havnt passed it through i get 2 have a d & c.i feel so alone and dont know if anyone else have been through this before.i have just had enough and want to get it all over with as i am only 20 and me nd my bf want to start tryin again.do u think it will be to soon?
is there anyone that have been through something simular 2 help me  
I just want to thank everyone here, I have had so many questions and being able to read all of your comments has really helped me. I was 10 weeks when I had my D&C  on 12/18/09 and am very afraid to try again, me and my husband really want a baby and we want to try right away but as I said I am really scared I don't want there to be anything wrong with our baby because we didn't wait, but I am sure you can all understand why we want to start right away we have not been able to tell our kids that the baby died we just don't know how to.. has any one given birth to a baby that they conceived right after a d&c?? is the baby Ok?? Thank you all for sharing your stories :)
How often does scarring happen afer a d/c? im in the process of a miscarriage, but they said that i have something called a moral pregnancy and i have to get a d/c i really dont want to , because i want four kids, right now i have none, this was my first pregnancy, i'm really scared i hear about scarring happening a lot. and i don't know what to do
Hi Im the same. 9 weeks but the baby measured at 5 and no heart beat. Ivestarted bleeding but may do a D & C next week on Friday, unless everything passes before then.  Im jsut really scared and hoping that it wont affect my chances of getting preggers again.
If you had a natural miscarriage than trying before your period returns is just fine.  If you had a D&C they suggest/earge you to wait until you get AF to start trying.  What happens is when they do the D&C they scrape out  the lining very good, so there isn't a lot left.  If you get pregnant before you get your period you have a higher chance of a miscarriage because the baby would have a hard time attaching, since there isn't much for it to attach to.  By waiting for your first period, it replaces the lining, and the baby can attach nicely :)

Anyone who has a D&C PLEASE wait one cycle.  It may seem like forever, but you can make it that far.  I had a D&C on Nov 30th, got my period Dec 30th, and got pregnant during that cycle and everything is going great so far.  
well I have had 3 m/c all were D&C's the first one was in sep 23 06 I was supposed to be 10wks but found out I was only 7wks. there was no heartbeat then in feb 7th I found out I was expecting again this time I carried my healthy baby boy to term and now he is 2. then dec 23 08 I was 5 wks when I m/c. Then I found out I was pregnant on feb 25th but by the time It was march 15 I m/c It was so hard because just 2 days before there was no heartbeat. I had a scan and could see the heart beating. so then i had a d&c. now My husband and I slipped up and Im quite worried. Hannah
I had a missed miscarriage, I found out when I went to my second prenatal appt. I was 14 1/2 weeks. They found no heartbeat and discovered that the baby stopped growing at 11 1/2 weeks. I waited the weekend and nothing passed so scheduled a d/c for that following Tuesday. My water broke Monday night and had an emergency d/c due to too much bleeding. I had one mentstrual cycle and now I am pregnant again (7wks). I am scared though because my stomach is always in knots and I do not know if it is hurting the baby. But I cannot relax my muscles. I have had allergy attacks which triggered asthma attacks and have had constipation followed by diarrhea. I am scared because after an allergy and asthma attack this last time I had pink tinged discharge (I also had intercourse about 2 hrs before as well) I have not had any bleeding since and it has been about a week. I still feel pregnant though, and I have gained like 6-8 lbs already. Anyone have any suggestions? Good luck to everyone who is pregnant again and hope all goes well God Bless
my doc. told be its ok for me to try againg but i have to wait 2 months so if you just had an d and c you should wait 2 months to try again thats what my doc. told us and im 39 yrs.old i have 6 kids and a grandson but i want one  more baby so we going totry againg in aug.
I m/c on march,2,12 it was my first pregnancy I was 5 weeks I haven't gone bak to check for anything I'm feeling alright just a few cramps..I feel for everyone who's had a loss my husband an I were so happy but we plan on trying again.