Maternal & Child Community
Giving sugar water to newborn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Giving sugar water to newborn

Hello ladies. I'm a first time mommy to a handsome little 3 week old boy and I couldn't be happier! He passed his 2 week checkup with flying colours but our doctor said to start giving him sugar water between feedings to prevent dehydration. I am pumping breastmilk for him but am unable to produce enough for all his feedings so he gets about 20% breastmilk and the rest is formula (nestle goodstart).  All the articles I have read have said to avoid giving a newborn water until 6 months of age, yet friends and family have said the opposite, that water is harmless and to start it right away. So I am confused as to what to do. And if I do decide to use the sugar water, is there a "recipe" to follow? Any input on this would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance :)
Jodie
I'd run this by a lactation consultant before I would do it.  I, like you, have read that water is NOT good for a newborn, and a lot of water can actually really upset their electrolyte balance and be dangerous.  If your doc is worried about dehydration, what is the matter with giving more formula, or doing what you can with the fenugreek and the Mother's Milk tea to try to increase your own supply?  Also, listen to a lactation specialist before your family and friends, who are just recycling old stuff from their children's eras (or heaven forbid even their own childhoods).  I'd even ask another pediatrician before taking the advice to give sugar water.  Good luck!
All the information I have seen says NOT to give water this early. ASll of their hydration needs should be met with formula and breastmilk. Water fills them up and leaves little room for much needed nutrients provided by formula or breastmilk.
Hi I have 5 children and I am pregnant with baby #6 I have always given the sugar water to all my children when I felt they needed from birth and they are all fine. I think raw sugar is the best. This is just my opinion you don't have to use it but I just wanted to let you know it is common and doesn't hurt your baby once bit. They will get wind a lot easier with water so just make sure you burp frequently.
Hope this helps. Good luck!!!
Pumping may not be working well for you..are you feeding at the breast at all, or pumping exclusively?  Some women just can't get enough out via a pump.

I can't add anything but a resounding "no" to the sugar water issue.  If you are giving breastmilk and formula in recommended amounts, your baby will not be dehydrated and will not need sugar water.  
The sugar will just fill baby up with 'empty' calories, nutrition wise baby needs his calories from breast or formula milk. As the others have said dehydration should not be an issue if your baby is fed breast/formual mik on demand.
Too much sugar water can also give baby diahrrea (spelling).
i agree with starting babies on water but older. my son started water when he was 6 months or so i guess. its mostly all he drinks now. never soda, he cant stand it thank god!!  but newborns, i agree with andi
I can't see any reason to give a baby water with or without sugar unless you live in such a hot climate like Arizona that there is a real fear of dehydration. My daughter is 4 mos. and I did give her a little plain water whilewe were visiting Florida because she was obviously thirsty. My other daughter did not get water until about 6 or 7 mos.
I'm all for giving a baby water (I'd be careful not to make it too sweet).  My first pediatrician was all against it but I had to use another since that one was too far away from me and the second one told me that a little water is perfectly fine.   I've been giving DD water since she was 4 weeks and she LOVES to drink it now.  
Before the age of 4-6 weeks they have such little blood volume that by adding water you could easily throw off their electrolyte balance. Not to mention filling a baby up with water when they really should be eating breastmilk or formula. I strongly advise against it, again.
i wouldnt give sugar water to a 3 week old. if your dr insists, and it were me, id check with another before i did that. but that is just my opinion.
Exactly, my kids are the same way, They started getting water around 8 or 9 months, until then it was strictly breastmilk and i had babies in some hot weather! They didn't even get juice until after their first birthday and even then it was mega diluted.

My 5 year old and 3 year old each have 1 liter water bottles they keep with them 24/7. They would gladly take water over anything else. They have never had a caffeinated beverage, rarely drink juice as they would rather eat the fruit anyway, and have had less than a can of rootbeer in their entire lives ; )
mmmmmmm root beer!!
What kind of pump are you using?  Are you using a medical grade pump?  If not you should invest in one and putting the baby to breast as much as possible will help increase your milk supply.

I would never give a baby sugar water.  If they baby is dehydrated more formula or mother's milk is all that is needed.  My kids were several months old before they had water and I never added sugar to it.  Not fond of giving them refined anything.