Maternal & Child Community
Got any ideas about reducing swelling in feet at 36 weeks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi, everyone, I know swelling in feet and legs is common in pregnancy, but since about week 32 I've puffed myself out of all my shoes.  Has anyone done anything for it that you found helpful?  I am:  checking blood pressure daily to watch for pre-eclampsia, sleeping with my feet higher than my heart, reducing salt in diet, taking more calcium, drinking lots of water, but by nightfall my feet and ankles sometimes have puffed up so much that it's a little scary.  Anyone ever try those elastic socks?
soaking your feet in epsom salt & warm water for 15-20 minutes a few times a week can help reduce the swelling.
Annie,  sounds like you are doing a lot of things the way you should.  Here is a few things I have found:

Swelling: What You Can Do
Some swelling, particularly in the feet and ankles, is normal during pregnancy. Here are some tips for relieving and managing this swelling:

Relieve the pressure. Put your feet up on a footstool or hassock, or lie on your side. This will relieve the pressure on the veins of your lower body and reduce the swelling. Take breaks during the day where you can sit with your feet up. While you sleep, raise your legs slightly with pillows. Don
It sounds like you've tried everything!  I had the same problem towards the end of my pregnancy as well.  The only other thing I was told was support hose?  Maybe that would work for you?

Amy
Hi Annie,

I am 38 weeks today, yay!!  Anyways, my feet started swelling very early too, I was around six months when i noticed my shoes weren't fitting either.  Try using the menthol alcohol (it's green), rub it on your legs and feet, I heard it really works.  :)   Hope you feel better!
Take care.
Hi Annie, the only advise I have for you is get mens size croks! That is exactly what I did at about 32 weeks and am wearing them till this day. I am not sure where u are, but here in GA I can still get avay with it. It is in high 60s now. Anyway, I have the same problem, have tons of shoes, but nothing fits. I also wear flip flops. There is nothing much you can do about it. It will go awya within a week or so of delivery!

3 more weeks (if we are lucky) for both of us!!!
Hi Annie, I am having the same problem, went for a pedicure last week and she used a dry brush (you know the type you use for skin brushing, or a soft horse brush works too) in upward motions from my ankles, it really helped, get hubby to do it for you if he will.
I have experienced the same problem with swelling feet... the best thing that ever worked great for me was....  having my husband rub them.. alot.. we arent talking mild... caressing here either.... he would start at the top of the ankle.. grasp the whole area.. and pull downwards..only stopping at the end of my toes... forcing the swelling downwards... not only did it feel good.. but it really took the swelling down.. after he was done doing that... I would prop up my legs for a bit.. dont know if this will help you out.. but.. it worked for me..
I guess I can be thankful that it didn't start until a couple of weeks ago, and that it's not summer!!!  My doc did suggest that swimming in a cool pool would help, but it's the wrong season.  Maybe that's why witch hazel in cool water makes a difference.  The main thing seems to be to elevate the feet higher than the heart, not as easy as it sounds.  :)  I have a mountain of pillows under the blanket on our bed, and that's the only time I'm sure I'm getting the feet up there enough.  Thanks again to all for the suggestions.  I will indeed try them.   Annie
I feel so sorry for you! It's funny you should bring this up, because my feet have already outgrown all my shoes, and I had to go shopping today for a new pair...luckily I found a pair of Aerosole brand shoes in a wide!

As for your feet, my sister had preeclampsia with her first child and swelled up until she looked like the Michelin Man, and she would soak her feet in something called Johnson's Foot Soap (found in the foot care section at Wal-Mart and Target). She said it DEFINITELY helped revive her feet...not so much the swelling, but the achiness, soreness, and overall discomfort.

For swelling, she bought bottles of Witch Hazel and would literally soak a couple of washcloths in the stuff, then lay the cloths over her feet while propping them up. This would take up a lot of Witch Hazel, so get generic brand if possible since you'll go through a bottle pretty quickly. Sometimes, she would get a small foot basin and pour about half a bottle of Witch Hazel in, then add enough cool (not totally cold) water to soak her feet (this was during the very last, miserable days of her pregnancy, which was in late August! LOL).
Either way, the Witch Hazel worked well for her...

Just another something you can try! Let me know if you try it, and if it works for you, because I'll probably be trying it myself in a few months! LOL

Good luck!
Thanks so much, everyone!  I will try every suggestion.  Just bought some shoes in a double e width if you can believe it... I also have lots of shoes, but nothing at all to wear.  LOL.
Ha! ha!  You said you have plenty of shoes and nothing to wear.  Now come on...even if you wasn't pregnant & swollen you would still say, "I don't have any shoes to wear".  LOL....we're women we can't help it!
Well, you should see my closet.  Shoes, I've got.  When I say I have nothing to wear, it's usually something like a party dress. LOL
When I was in the hospital the nurses had me roll over onto my left side for 10 minutes out of every hour. It helps keep the blood pressure at a good level. If your blood pressure spikes and you do not realize it, you may experience more then usual swelling.
My doctor told me to elevate my feet as much as possible and drink lots of water with lemon.  It definitely helped me, as long as was resting and off my feet.
I'm 84 years old and both feet are swelling. I take a water pill but am worried that this daily swelling is going to do harm to my feet and ankles. Been thinking about soaking them, but heard that is dangerous, just not sure what to do.