Maternal & Child Community
Grunting Newborn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Grunting Newborn

My DD is two weeks old and grunts ALL THE TIME...especially when she's eating or sleeping.  The grunting while sleeping is about to drive me batty!  She is sooo noisy and uncomfortable sounding that I find it hard to get any sleep!  She is swaddled while sleeping and during the grunting I can see her struggling against the swaddle.  I tried loosening it last night so she could wiggle her arms and she wound up in hysteria because of the startle reflex.  She just seems so restless and uncomfortable...is there anything I can do to comfort her AND get some much needed rest myself??  :)  Is there an underlying cause for her excessive grunting?  
Some babies are just like that. Both of mine were and so I assumed all babies are like that. My LC said some are just more like that than others. She had 2 kids- one was and one wasn't. I would have suggested swaddling, as that significantly diminished my second baby's grunting in her sleep, but you said you're doing that already. I noticed that she would grunt when startled, which is why I started to swaddler her again. It should begin to improve in the next few weeks. Make sure she is well burped, as mine would wake up and grunt and wiggle more when gassy. They also did it much more when they had to poop, and as newborns mine pooped 24/7.

As for you getting some much needed rest- it's hard. She was waking me every few minutes. We ended up giving me a shift of sleep without her in the room. DH is a night owl anyways, so he would keep her downstairs to at least midnight. I went to bed very early so I got at least a 3 or 4 hour stretch uninterupted. He then came to bed and put her in the bassinet. She woke me constantly after that, but at least I had that first stretch, which seems like gold when you have a newborn. Some people suggest putting the baby in her own room. I like to have mine in the bassinet because I don't want to get out of bed everytime she needs something. Plus, I was nursing so it was easier having her next to me. A compromise could be moving the bassinet to DH's side of the bed, or a little further from you in the room. You can also try some white noise that would drown her out a little, helping you wake less. White noise can also help the baby go into a deeper sleep. I blast the humidifier right next to us.
Yeah, my first born was definitely NOT a grunter!  This is new to me!  I will try the white noise...I hadn't thought of that.  She responds well to shushing...so white noise might be a great alternative!  

My DH is a night owl too so I try to go to bed between 8-9:00 every night so I can get a few good hours to sleep before he brings her to me.  :)  

My first born had acid reflux and a milk protein intolerance...I know grunting, squirming, wheezing, and choking can all be symptoms of those so I'm being overly paranoid.  I hope the grunting is just 'normal' for her...I guess time will tell.  

Thanks!
yea- my grunter has reflux too :( and she had colic. hope there's no connection!!!
Well my first was a grunter and a snorter and a light snorer. I gave up in the middle of the first night when I couldn't sleep for all the noise and put her in the next room. I slept well she slept well and never had a problem hearing when she was awake and needed me. I did this from day 1 with all the others and have never had a problem. So if room allows move her out of your room. Good Luck
White noise is AWESOME!!  DH actually reminded me of a white noise CD we had with my first DD (which never helped her).  We put it in the CD player next to her last night and it was great!  She still grunted, but not as much AND I got better sleep b/c I couldn't hear her quite as much.  It was great!  I think she just sleeps better with "noise".  Yesterday we realized that when the TV was on she slept more peacefully so she must just need that background noise!  Having a noisy 3 yr old sister running around all the time probably contributed to that!  LOL!  :)
I just wanted to update my own post that once we put DD on a good dose of reflux medicine her grunting went away!!!  Looks like the poor thing was in pain after all!  
poor thing. Do you mind if I ask what she was put on? We've been trying to get the right combo of meds...
We have a prescription for zegerid 40mg packets (immediate release PPI = does NOT have to be timed around meals = AMAZING!!!!!)

I haven't filled it yet though because we are doing a Neocate (elemental formula) trial and I didn't want to do too many things at once.  Hopefully will be switching to zegerid in a few weeks.  

Her current medicine is Prilosec OTC mixed with Buffer Babies.  (also immediate release!)  Buffer Babies is a powdered buffering system that allows you to take OTC reflux medications (made for adults!) and make them baby friendly!  It's an AWESOME alternative for people who have pediatricians with no clue how to properly treat/dose a reflux baby.  I follow the dosing guidelines given by www. marci-kids . com (no spaces).  They are the leaders in treating reflux in infants!

What is your LO currently on?  
she's on prevacid solutabs, 15 mg 1 time/day and zantac (2 mL 3 times/day), and it's barely managing it. We can't miss any doses at all. Her ped says he's never had a baby that had to be on both meds, and we're waiting to see a gastro.

DH is a pharmacist. He said he's never heard of Buffer Babies, so I'm looking it up. He also claims that the zegerid is not immediate release and it does have to be timed around meals. Interesting how everyone has different info. He's been out of school for 7 yrs, so maybe that's why there's a discrepancy? He also says that because zegerid does contain sodium bicarbonate, it doesn't dissove all the way. Parents try to return it to him because it's so salty, most kids won't take it. He says it's a great medicine for adults- except for adults with sodium problems. He also doesn't recommend that much sodium for babies and says they need a higher fluid intake for their kidneys to flush the sodium. I am reading up a bit on it though, through the Marci website to learn more about it.
I communicate regularly with Dr. Phillips, the inventor of zegerid.  He is part of the MARCI-kids team I was telling you about.  The packaging information for zegerid DOES state that it needs to be timed around meals.  This is because in order for it to be released to the public, they had to copy prilosec's dosing instructions EXACTLY to push it through the system.  (since they are both omeprazole...but zegerid is omeprazole + sodium bicarbonate)   If zegerid wanted to write their own 'rules' then it would take years to be approved??  That's how Dr. Phillips describes it anyway.  :)  

Check out www. bufferbabies . com to learn more about it.  Your husband would probably not be familiar with it, as it is an aid to help patients use OTC PPIs (not prescriptions).

The high amount of sodium bicarbonate in zegerid is seen as an issue to some people that is why only the 40mg packets are recommended for infants.  It contains half the sodium bicarbonate of the 20mg packets.  When you mix the 40mg packets you actually ADD either mylanta cherry supreme or tums to 'make up for' the buffer.  The FDA just approved zegerid for OTC use in December.  The 20mg capsules will be released on the shelves around May, then eventually the powder packets, and finally Dr. Phillips said their will be a children's tablet that can be dropped directly into a bottle!!!  If you have more questions about Buffer Babies, the Reflux Rebels group on the Babycenter message boards is a wonderful place and MANY moms over there are using it.  In fact, Dr. Phillips posts there frequently to answer reflux/dosing questions.  He is always very quick to respond...maybe he'll have some insight about your prevacid dosing issues??

I am wondering if her dose doesn't need to be split up 2x a day?  I have a feeling with the once a day dosing that she is losing her relief from it as the day goes on.  Could you do 7.5mg in the am and 7.5mg in the pm and see how that goes?  (making sure the space the zantac 4hrs apart from the prevacid, of course)  I'm sure you also know to dose it on an empty stomach followed by a meal 30-60 minutes later.  Is your ped open to increasing her dose?  Did you check out the dosing calculator on the marci website?  I'd be curious what it says for your LOs age weight.  Their research shows that babies metabolize PPIs 3x faster than adults (a more efficient liver or something?!?!) and it's virtually impossible to OD on a PPI b/c it is only active in the acid producing cells.  Anyway, increasing her dose is my first thought...your ped is right though, usually if the PPI is enough and doing it's job there is no need for the H2 blocker???  Good luck and keep me posted.  :)