Maternal & Child Community
HCG Levels, is something wrong?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HCG Levels, is something wrong?

I just found out I was pregnent on July 22. I had my blood drawn, and my HCG level was a 34. One week later on July 29th, I had my blood drawn again, the level was 1244. I went to my first appointment on August 10th, I had my blood drawn again, my level was 31438. I am having some low pelvic pain. Is there something wrong? Why is my count so high? Thanks for any insight you can give me. Danyelle
Your level sounds fine to me. They are supposed to double every 48 hrs I believe....The first blood draw I had at 7 wks was over 10000....I am now 24wks2days and have a healthy baby girl growing! Did the Dr. seemed concerned about your #'s? Is that why you seem to think something may be wrong?

And Congratulations!!!!
Not so much wrong, but everyone keeps saying twins, twins, because of the high numbers, and they more than doubled every 48- 72 hours. I am also having pain in the lower left pelvic area. That is the part that bothers me the most.
Pain in your lower left pelvis is probably where the baby is sitting, My little peanut is sitting in my lower right pelvis and i get a sharp pain there every once in a while. I know the baby is sitting there cause that's where the Dr found the baby's HB, he/she seems rather content in that area.
You'll have all kinds of pains and things like that, just from your body adjusting to the baby. I had them, and a lot of women on here have had them. High #'s can be twins, but mine more than doubled every 48 hrs., and I'm only having one. It could just be a very healthy pregnancy. Try not to worry...... :)
unfortunately as far as numbers are concerned....any web site that you go to that gives the "normal" range for single and multiples, if you notice the ranges are different but within the same ranges. so really the only way you are going to know for sure if it is twins is to wait for that u/s
any twins in the family?
good luck
~nanci
my doctor told me that twins are maternal....but i don't think i buy that totally.
i used to work with a guy that every male in his family fathered a set of twins. (yes he is a twin)

infact his brother showed up at work one day(i didn't know at that time he was a twin) i took one look at him and said wow you look a lot like one of the guys that works here, you must be brothers.  his brother laughed and said you don't think we look exactly alike? anyway i guess you had to be there. haha :)
~nanci
My husband is a twin. His mother's grandmother had twins. My grandmother's sister had twins. So they are there. I go back to the doctor on Tuesday!
You don't buy that twins are maternal?  Just think logically about it.  Men contribute sperm to the pregnancy process.  Just sperm and lots of it.  Women contribute the eggs.  One or two eggs it's the woman that must ovulate more then one egg to have twins, the man has nothing whatsoever to do with twins.  The fluke twins are identical where one egg is ovulated and then splits, but still it's the egg that splits not the sperm they are just there to fertilize whatever amounts of eggs the woman gives off.  So buy it or not twins are maternal.  It's like asking someone who has a boy and girl twin if they are identical or fraternial?  I always laugh and say you need to think about that one and you'll get your answer.  Many people still look puzzled and cannot figure out why a boy and a girl twin cannot be identical.
ok first of all i never said that twins were NOT maternal i said that i didn't buy that they couldn't be from the father.

here is why....(i even looked this up)
some men have a disorder with there sperm that cause them to have doubleheaded sperm (was the case in the guy i worked with)
if the single egg is fertilized by that sperm the egg either splits or dies. so before you go calling people stupid or ignorant do some research.

and i NEVER comented on ferternal twins vs. identical either.
~nanci
I don't see the words stupid or ignorant in my response at all sorry if that was your interpretation.
Sounds like to me that the case of twins can be either fraternal or maternal.  Maternal if it is the egg determination.  Fraternal if it is the double sperm headed guy who gets the egg.  Hmmm.  God knows what each case is.  (-: