Maternal & Child Community
HCG Levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HCG Levels

My Doctor's office just called me, and they seemed concerned.

On Friday at 14 days past ovulation, my HCG levels were 248.
My progesterone Level was 112.

Yesterday (monday), at 17 dpo, my levels jumped to 1095.

What does this mean?
Why do they need to consult the doctor?

Thank you for any help or advice...
Don't be alarmed :) Maybe there is more than one :) The reason they are probably concerned is that when the levels go up so quickly it "could mean" there is a problem. It doesn't "mean" there is one. I will definitely keep you and your baby in my prayers :)
Thank you!
The secretary seemed worried, so that is why I was concerned...

Thank you...
Kim
I'm sure they sounded "concerned" because a big jump like that is a little out of the ordinary.  They are treating this with caution, but my first thought was "twins".
I have a question about HCG Levels.  My last menstrual cycle was on August 1 and I know I ovulated around August 22.  I found out that I was pregnant on September 7th.  My ob scheduled me for the initial beta hcg and progesterone testing and all was normal.  Progesterone was over 20 (which is normal) and my HCG level was 35.  He had me test two days later and the hcg levels were at 86.  I went back to see him on September 13 for him to tell me that he was going to do another week of hcg and progesterone testing just to be on the safe side.  My levels from the 13th were HCG 338 and progesterone 12.  I went back on Thursday for another HCG test to show that it had only gone up to 450.  I went back to the doctor on September 20th to find the information out about my tests from last Thursday.  Needless to say I was devasted.  He is testing my HCG levels again this week and today was my first test.  I already have those results back and they were not very good by my calculations.  HCG level of 586.7.  So I am wondering if this pregnancy is really a viable pregnancy.  He is having me do progesterone suppositories and he is testing my hcg levels again on Thursday.  Does anyone have any advice for me?  Should I request a sonogram.  My calculations show that by date of last period I should be 7 weeks but if you take in consideration of how late I ovulated in my cycle he is thinking that I am only 6 weeks.  Could it be possible that I am earlier than that?  Why would my levels double then drop off?
Thank you...
I will keep you all posted...

Kimmy
Just to let you know, my levels started out at 10,000 something and I have a healthy baby girl. That was at 6.5wks.....
I have never been pregnant before. I wasn't feeling well so I took a pregnancy test on Tuesday Sept. 13 and it was positive. On the 17th I had a very light spotting maybe even just a few drops that last for less that 24hrs. I have irregular menstrual cycles that last time I saw my period was June 2005. I had 3 ultra sounds in 3 days and they can't see anything. My HCG level went from 360 on sunday to 500 on monday (one day). My doctor can't tell me anything I don't even thing that know what is going on with my body. He can't tell me how pregnant I am. They had me take 4 different pregnancy test in one week all of which is positive. Does anyone have any advice?
I would definately request a sonogram, why put yourself through that emotional turmoil...

Keep us posted.  Stay positive!
Kimmy
Well I just wanted to let everyone know that my hcg levels dropped today from 587.6 to 468.0.  Went to the doctor and said that I was miscarrying.  I am very sad and devastated but I also have a 9 1/2 month old that will take my mind off of this miscarriage.  I am just glad that I don't have to go through anymore testing to make sure that I stay pregnant.  He is going to let me pass this baby since my counts were so low.  He will test my hcg levels to make sure they go back to 0.  If they start to plateau then he will do a d & c on me.  He is going to do a sonogram on me this coming Wednesday to just make sure it is not ectopic.  Thanks for all the support and prayers.  Melanie
i had 4 eggs trans on 09/17/05 this was a 5 day egg trans. this is my 4th ivf attempt.

i got the news i was pregnant on 09/27/05, with a hcg level of 179 i then went back on 09/30/05 3 days later and my hcg level was then 400. the morning before i went for the 2nd hcg level i had some spotting, my beast are not as tender as they were and i do feel some cramping. i was pregnant last year and i had miscarried around 8 weeks.

please let me know what you think does everything sound normal.

thank you,
abbate
hi everyone, at 6 weeks my hcg level- 193074, 2 days later-304303, ultrasound confirmed one 6 week fetus..any comments would be greatly appreciated
I am also worried about my high levels.  At 6 weeks 3 days from last period my HCG was 250,358.  My first read was high 1500 at 4 weeks 6 days and progesterone was high at 54.  Two US say there is only one baby.  We did get an US heartbeat with my last read(6w 3days). However my progesterone dropped from 70 to 63. Anyone ever hear of these levels being "normal?"  I go back on Thur. 10-6 for more blood and US. This was natural conception after 4 and 1/2 years and three unsuccessful IVF cycles. I also have high FSH. Anyone out there have these kind of levels?  All I have read about is "bad news!"
i took a preg test on april 5 '09.. went to dr on 10th.. preg confirmed. felt really lightheaded on the 13th.. had ultrasound on the 14th and no baby or anything seen. took hcg blood work and it was 3900. had more blood work done 6 days later and it had tripled. i am scheduled for another ultra sound tomorrow. the nurse says that she is concerned that it may be an etopic preg. i should be about 6 weeks along.

what do you think?