Maternal & Child Community
HCG Levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HCG Levels

At 5w4d I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with a subchronic hematoma. I went in because I was bleeding pretty bad. Yesterday I didn't really bleed at all but I walked a mile. This morning I woke up to alot of spotting of brown blood. I'm not sure what this condition is.

Another worry for me is that my HCG levels when I went to the hospital the other day were 30000. At that level they said that you should be able to "see" a heartbeat. Is it bad it they haven't yet or are you more likely to see it at 6 weeks.

Well...I went through the same thing! I was about 6w when I had my first ER visit due to heavy bleeding. The outlook was grim... no heartbeat...deformed yolk sac with no embryo but HCG levels even lower than yours. After my follow up exam with my OB doctor and she told me same thing, no more baby. For 26 more days the bleeding occurred. Not only bleeding, but also huge blood clots, which I assumed, were baby tissue. Sometimes the blood was dark brown sometimes-bright red. It's the bright red blood I was later told that is troublesome.
I have been doing all the research I can on this type of condition. Honestly, there is not a lot of information. Not only that, I have seen four doctors now and each of them just do not seem to have any concrete info. During your next ultrasound ask how large the hematoma is. They range 1cm-12+cm. I have been told the outcome is usually 50/50 for a healthy birth. Sometimes the hematoma absorbs back into the body and the pregnancy moves one fine. Other times the womb can fill with the leaking blood and can worsen the abruption between the placenta and uterus. A person, such as myself, can have the tear near the cervix where the blood continually drains, hence the perpetual bleeding. There are also other risk factors that hematomas may cause in late pregnancy, which I can explain more later.
It sounds to me that you are early in the pregnancy and that the heartbeat will appear soon. I'm sure the doctors can tell you more if your HCG levels go down.
Once the heartbeat is confirmed I can tell you the next step with a subchronic hematoma (SCH for short) pregnancy.
Well...the next step is advice that I found common from doctor to doctor and from others that have this condition...BED REST and...This is the worst...you can only count on the pregnancy on a day to day basis. Basically, you may lose the baby at any moment. But wait...the good news is that if you make it to the 16-20ish week of the pregnancy doctors may be more able to predict if the hematoma may cause later complications. Plus, after the 20th week there may be better chance for survival if the baby is born premature. For example, many women experience pre-term labor because the blood acts an irritant in the womb and causes contractions. I have even read that at times the hematoma can be large enough to impede the growth of the baby. From what I understand, SCHs can not be removed but I heard they could be drained in the most extreme of cases.
Another complication I have read about is low blood pressure from blood loss. During current active bleeding you will discharge bright red blood...this is typically not good. I was told at any onset of bright red blood to return to the ER immediately. On my last bleeding episode I was told that I might need a blood transfusion due to low blood counts. Drink tons of water! This may help in the aid of blood production.
I also came across a personal story where the hematoma caused the baby to not have enough oxygen and nutrients. My doctor explained that by weekly ultrasounds they could gage the baby's growth according to the due and speculate if the baby is developing normally. However, she also said sometimes some deformities can only be diagnosed upon birth.
I'm not trying to discourage or frighten you but these are the facts that I have been collecting this week. By no means I am a medical expert, this information I have written came from my personal experience, from other stories, and text from the Internet. All I hope is that it may provide you with some more information. I feel like I need to share it with someone because I feel so alone and scared. I'm not sure if you reached the point yet but it just pains me that this is such a "wait and see" condition. Doctors over and over tell me there is nothing medically they really do to ensure a healthy pregnancy and most of all a healthy baby.
My name if Jennifer...if you need anyone to tell you story to or share your hematoma experience with let me know. Maybe you have more info or advice you can share with me. Also, from what I have been told...take it EASY. In fact I was put on bed rest. No heavy lifting, exercise, sex, tampons, pushing on abdomen, try not to elevate your heartbeat it may cause more bleeding, drink lots of water, no smoking (if you smoke)...what else...oh yea...try not to stress!
Again, my truest goal of this information is not to scare you. On a more happy note, I fell I should add that there were also plenty of stories of successful SCH births. I am 11w4d perhaps I will be one as well as you!

I can honestly say I appreciate all of the information you provided. All I have wanted since I was told about having this condition was for someone to give it me straight.

It seems like all the times people either give you the worst case senario or false hope. Thank you so much for telling me how it is. I really do appreciate it.
My sister had one w/her last pregnancy.  The baby's heart beat was detected at 7 weeks.  By her 20 week u/s, the body had absorbed it, and it was completely gone.  She couldn't do bed rest, she had 4 other kids and only one of them was school age.  The baby will have her first birthday May 18th, and is the cutest thing I've ever seen.  Her arms are so fat, they look like a series of large marshmallows glued together.  You'll be fine.  Many women experience this, and go on to deliver healthy infants.