Maternal & Child Community
HCG and progesterone levels at 4 1/2 weeks pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

After trying to conceive for 2 1/2 years,I had a miscarriage at 9 weeks on June 5 of this year.  They were checking my hcg and prog. levels and I had low prog. (14)so I was put on supplements. I still lost the baby. Anyway I am around 4 1/2 weeks pregnant now and I got a faint positive one week after ovulation (from Clomid) on Sunday (11/26) so I went in last Monday (11/27) for hcg and prog. draws. The hcg was 22 and prog. was 21.3. So they said for me to come back on Wednesday to see if my hcg doubled or not. I went back and it was at 60. I was happy but then the nurse informed me that those are awfully low number and "we usually see higher numbers faster" ????? I don't understand. I thought they just had to double. Anyway now I am sitting on pins and needles waiting to go back on Monday so they can repeat the prog. and hcg. I am a wreck. I sick of being a pin cushion. Anyone else know about levels? I do have one healthy 3 1/2 year old daughter. I FEEL pregnant...I hate this. Please help!
I have heard that it is a wonderful sign for your numbers to go up, this is what my doct. told me. In fact, when I had an ultrasound done on my last baby it was showing that the baby was 7 weeks, but my hormones were low. My doct. wanted to see if the numbers were going up. He told me that this was be an accurate way to tell if the baby was healthy.Of course that ended in a m/c bc my numbers did not change. He is a wonderful doct. Anyway, like I said, my doct. said the important thing was that if your hormone numbers were going up. He said sometimes you can't even rely on ultrasounds.  You could be just barely preg. & that could be great numbers for you, especially since it is going up. I think that it really looks great!! THink positive.  Good Luck
I just found out I was pregnant earlier this week and I was still under four weeks and my levels were considered low at 98, two days later they were 264 and the nurse told me they were still low, but they more than doubled.

When I talked to my dr (I went to an obgyn instead of a clinic at the university that I go to) and she told me that a lot of ppl's hcg levels are low early in pregnancy and its nothing to worry about.  Hang in there...sometimes I think they want us to worry about stuff.
From what I understand until 10wks your HCG levels doubling is all that matters.  If you go to the web page below, you will see that your levels aren't so bad.  I don't think you have anything to worry about. :o)

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/earlyfetaldevelopment.htm

The two times I m/c's I had hcg at 35 -- and 48 hours later 17 and the next time had hcg at 19 and 48 hours later 19 again.  I think it is very promising that the numbers doubled.  And your progesterone looks good too.  With this preg, my prog was 22 at 4 weeks and I'm about 9w4d now.  Good luck!
Thanks everyone. I feel better...:)