Maternal & Child Community
HCG elevation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HCG elevation

I was told for a young pregnancy to be viable, the serum HCG must double every 48 hrs.
He's my situation. I am 8 weeks pregnant. No sx except swollen breasts. My OB did a transvag US one week ago because last pregnancy was ectopic (about 4 years ago), credit given to my IUD! Anyways, the U/S showed my baby to be more like 6 wks old. The heart was beating, but the rate was pretty slow, more like an adult normal. She decided to draw two serum HCG's 48 hrs apart to see what was going on. My first number was 18,6000, and my second was 22,600. She says I will probably miscarriage in the next week or so, but we are drawing a second level today to varify things. So...I understand if the number does not go up, or drops what that means, but what if it still goes up, but doesn't double...is that still a threatended abortion? Does everyone's level go up the same in early pregnancy?
Thanks for any comments, I am a bit scared.
No that is not true.  Yes it should go up, but not everyone is the same.  My hormone level didn't seems to go up that much with my daughter. As a matter of fact I didn't find out that I was pregnant until I was about 3 months and I had a healthy daughter.  So just rest and pray. Don't get worked up about it everyone is different.
Hey Luv...I hope everything works out.  I have read many things about what hCG should do, best thing I think is stay positive, get rest and cut out any caffine you might be drinking.  I will say a little prayer for you and your little one, keep us posted!!
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I will definately keep you posted:)

Do not worry yourself everyones hormones work diffrently I know I have experienced the same thing I found out when I was 5 weeks I had bloddwork done and it came back 10000 and 2 days later it was only 12000 and my Dr was concerned but not to much he said he had seen the befor and the pregnancy still turns out fine I had never had my levels checked with my other four so all this level check really bothers me. So I went to th er once I was 6 weeks cause I was so stressed out I had levels checked and it had been 3 days I was at 20000 and we seen a baby and hb and it was slow at 105 I was stressed out again so I went to the er 3 days later had levels checked an they were now 34000 and we had another u/s and tje hb was 125 I was told that when you get an u/s done so early it is when the hb has just started and it takes every 3 days for the hb to go up and the hcg levels once they hit 10000 it doubles every 3-4 days and that is what I am doing. So I go for my regular routine appt.Tuesday and see the baby again we get u/s every visit which makes us me feel alot better.I just go one day at a time and leave it in Gods hands if our little angels are meant to be here then the will give us our wonderful 9 months of worries.
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board.  I'm literally having a nervous breakdown and have been searching for some advice.

At 13DPO my HCG was 88 and Progesterone 114.  They said my number were really good for this early.

Well I went back yesterday for my 2nd HCG levels at 17DPO.  The dr told me they will need to be at least 350 (that would mean I doubled every other day since my 13dpo) for pregnancy to be viable.

Well as I was driving home after my blood test I realized that my boobs didn't hurt anymore and I wasn't nauseous.  I got the call in the afternoon telling me that my numbers were only 297 and I was going to miscarry.  I'm just so devesated.  This is my 3rd loss in less than a 1 1/2.  I lost my son 10/04 at 37 weeks and had a miscarriage 7/05.  I just can't believe i'm losing again.

I guess my question is, I read that a lot of you had hcg levels that didn't double but still went on to deliver a healthy child, but did your symptoms go away?

I might have some hope if I still had my symptoms but with none it's really hard.
well I would not worry yourself becuase you did go up and have they even checkedyou by u/s to see what is going on inside also they soud like good numbers you did double they should keep on checking you for atleast 1 more week to see if it is going to be viable or not everyones hormones work diffrntly and rise diffrently.
This is amazing to have so many women, with so much REAL insight.  On Monday, I went to the doctor after not having a cycle since DEC 20th!!!  I've always had an irregular cycle, so really no reason to panic.  But, with the advice of a friend, who was pregnant, i went in and to take a pregnancy test.  To my surprise the results said POSITIVE!!  Naturally, i guessed along with the nurses that i was about 7 or more weeks pregnant.  Out of concern, i decided to go to get an ultrasound to see just exactly how long i'd been pregnant, get the pre-natal pills etc.  To my suprise as well as the doctor, my HCG level was at the #1!!!!  She explained to me that the reading was either all negative numbers, or high numbers close to the hundreds ( considering I was supposed to be 7 or more weeks).  Naturally, she asked me to return to get more blood work within 2 days.  I returned only to get the same HCG level.  Originally the doctor sent me home with a pregnant conclusion with #1 HCG level, but when return decided that it was infact a negative reading.  I've been looking all over the internet, all night, and found nothing but possibilites of cancers, excess tissues, ectopic pregancies and the like.  If there is anyone who has had a similar experience, or can shed some light on this, i would really like the comfort of a woman who may be more in tune with her body than I.  I'm 23, and this is my very first experience with pregnancy.  P.S. I'm going to return to a different doctor to explain why my urine test came up positive, but blood work only indicative of 1 rate of HCG.  Thanks in advance, i look forward to hearing from ya'll!!

Speaking of HCG counts... does anyone know if higher HCG counts in early twins are a more positive sign for a healthy outcome? I had two sacs in a pregnancy and one vanished. I had not had any hcg counts so have nothing to compare this one to. This time, at 16 dpo my count was 460 and at 18 dpo it was 1765. We have not yet done US but Doc feels it is more likely than not that I am carrying more than one baby. Does anyone know what the HCG stats are in vanishing twins vs. normal, carried out pregnancies with twins?
Keep in mind, even though worry gets the best of you sometimes, everyones body is diffrent, and functions in diffrent ways. My HCG levels were normal in my last pregnancy, and noone even knew I was carrying twins until I was 5 months through Ultrasound. My levels never reflected it, and I have healthy 3 year old girls now.

And if it doesnt work out for the best, God Bless you, and Good luck to you.
Here's my update.
My 3rd HCG (48 hrs after the 2nd) went up from 22,000 to 25,000. I just got this info off the voice mail...she wants me to have another u/s with fetal imaging specialists at the end of the week.
I still feel fine, and have no spotting or cramping...
I posted on someone else's question about some research I have been doing. One lady here (see a few comments up)said an ER physician told her levels taper off after it reaches 10,000. My research said they taper at around 6 weeks, which would fit well with what she has been told. I wonder why some current OB's don't pay attention to this...I should ask my doctor.
If there's any room left to post, I will let all know how the 2nd u/s went
I recently went through in-vitro.  My levels at my first pregnancy test was 70, which means I am pregnant.  I went back for my hcg levels 48 hours later and they were at 74.  The doctor said this is not a good pregnancy b.c the levels did not double.  I went back after another 48 hours and the levels are at 104.  I have a history of ectopic pregnacies.  What should I expect from these levels so far?  Should I be at all optimistic?  I have had so many disappointments in the past year with in-vitro and ectopic pregnancies, I am very scared.  What should I expect?
As recently as of February 18, 2006 i was told by the doctors of the er that i am pregnant.  My levels were 101.  I was also dignosed with uti.  I was given antibotics and sent home.  I made an appt with my oby and the closests appt was march 6.  On february 28 i went back to the er with pain and my leverls were 1668.  I just saw my doctor on monday march 6 and it wasn't a good one.  She told me that I should be around 8 weeks now and that my levels should be higher.  Also the baby is not coming out in the u/s.  She told me that if by thursday march 9, 2006 if my levels didn't go up like they suppose to, that they would talk to me about doing a D & C.  I am really sad, upset because this is our first pregnancy.  My mother thinks that they are wrong and I just don't know what to think.  I really need someone to cheer me and my husband up.  Please help us!!!
Hello...I understand what you are going through... I also think you should go to a specialist and have an uS done as well as more bloodwork. The results may be positive or negative... I went througha similiar situation and I did not want to do a D & C.... They measured the growing fetus during one of my US, but when I went back two days later, it vanished!!! I was devastated but the choice was already made for me... I scheduled a D & C for the next day...otherwise they told me that since my progesterone levels were so high, it may take a couple of months to miscarry by myself  (oh, did I mention this was my first pregnancy too, after trying for 1 yr and 1/2) - also I had AI done...  I just want you to know that i understand what you are going through and you maynot need to make any decisions, sometimes things just happen, positive or negative.... Good luck and keep thinking positive!!!
Hi, I think you should have another u\s before you agree to a D/C. In fact, you don't need to have one at all, even if you are miscarrying (which could go either way at this point) You can let it happen naturally, esp. since you are in you first trimester. Than if there is any pain or cramping after, THAN you can do it. I just think if you say yes to it, and there is doubt in your mind about viability in your pregnancy, the "what if" will bother you for eternity.
If you can, have the u/s done at a hospital by the fertily specialist department, where there equiptment is more modernized than the machines typically in offices.
Hope all goes well for you.
Hi all, just thought I wouldn't update my story.
I went in for an u/s today, and baby has only grown slightly and heartbeat is gone:( D/C for saturday.
I am sorry about your news... it helps to just cry and scream if you have too!!! It can take awhile to feel happy again, but time heals... Before my D & C,(I know this sounds strange) I treated myself to a new cozy outfit that I would wear to the hospital and relax in for the rest of the day!! It helped a little....  Just a suggestion...  Just take it easy and find some good reading material/lifetime movies...it is a reason to be lazy!!!  I will be thinking about you...take care
I wanted to update you on my situation.  As of Tuesday, I went to the er because I was having strong abdominal pain.  My problem was that there was no visibility of pregnancy and it was just my hormones.  Well the u/s technician saw the yolk sack right on my uterus and she even told me that I wasn't nearly 8 weeks.   She told me that I was like around 4 weeks.  After they took me back to the er room, they drew some blood and I waited for almost 2 hours for the results.  On Feb 18 i had levels of 101.  on Feb 28, i had levels of 1668, and on tuesday i had levels of 150.  The doctors told me that I am going to miscarry because of my hcg levels, but if the u/s tech told me that i was like around 4 seeks then it makes sense that i have hcg's levels of 150.  I have no bleeding and on monday i had a pap smear done that could explain the abdominal pain.  What do you think?
Wait, your first level was in the hundreds, the second in the thoudands, than again in the hundreds? If the numbers are going down, your definately in the process of a m/c. If that was a type-o and the second level was 168 and not 1668, it still doesn't look good. Numbers need to double every other day or at LEAST 66% in 72 hrs at the very least. I just went through this, and it's devistating. There are a few studies that I have read that have a slightly more forgiving ratio, but they are pretty much the same across the board. The only thing you can do now is wait a week or so and have another u/s to see if there is any progression
hope ya'll didn't forget about me!! Still waiting to hear thoughts.....
I read your posting and I just wanted to respond since no one has. I don't know about having an hcg level of only 1, it's weird to see this when you had a pregnancy test come out positive. Have you heard anything else about this from your Dr. (it seems like it's been awhile since you last wrote)? I hope you have some more info...if not, you should look at having them retest to see if your hcg level have increased.

Hope to hear back, Good luck!
Hi Ladies, this is my first time here on this forum and judging by the comments I have read so far - I find I am in the same predicament.  I am six weeks IVF pregnant - two embryos were transferred on 20 February 2006.  On Saturday 18 March I went to the bathroom at 6.00 am and had a bright red bleed and that was it. It wasn't that much! I spotted occassionally during the day which became dark brown.  I had emergency gestone injections on Sat/Sun/Mon.  On Saturday at the hospital they took bloods to check hcG levels.  The results were 12,460 on Monday.  They drew blood on Monday and the results were 16,900.  The Dr called and said this was borderline!!  They want me in again on Wednesday for more bloods to see if the levels have risen?  I thought these levels were good!!  Are they?  I am 6 weeks and 1 day today.  I had an internal u/s on Monday as well which showed one yok sac with an embryo pole (they call it) which measured 1.9mm but with no h/b yet as its too small.  Does all of this sound OK.  My nurse at the private hospital said that the embryo most likely burrowed into the uterus through a blood vessel.  I am so confused and scared. Can any of you lovely ladies help with advice?  Anne x
I'm a bit confused, how many day between your blood tests (HCG)? They should double every 48 hrs. Before my Miscarriage my levels went up but never doubled. When I had my vag. ultrasound all we saw was a sac. This all started Feb. 12th. I had 1 red streak when I wiped. Then 2 days later brown, sometimes pink. I went to the Dr on Valentines day & he told me to stay optimistic. I have a great Dr who sent me for Hcg levels every 48 hrs except on sat & sun. You can imagine what my arms looked like. 2 ultrasounds later the sac never developed & we were told I would miscarry. I had a D&C on March 3ed. I know it is hard to deal with, try to stay positive. Keep us posted.
Hi Pearl thank you for responding to my mail.  I had two embryos transferred via IVF on 20th February.  The hcG levels have been taken twice so far with 48 hrs in between.  On Monday when I had second bloods done, I also had an ultrasound done which showed one embryo only, we couldn't see the other one?  It's possible that its the other embryo I'm losing - I hope and pray to God that it's only one I'm losing which is hard anyway but even worse if I lose both.  I am due to have another u/s today and more bloods which I should have the results for this evening.  The difference between the Saturday and Monday bloods was an increase of 40% which I think is good and the hospital think is borderline...  I'm hoping and praying that today's bloods will be in excess of 22,000 - not sure what percentage that will be - I'll let you know what's happening.  Thank you for your support.. Anne x
I am so sorry to hear about the losses some of you have had.
  I don't know if this info will help anyone.  I was just looking into my situation and came upon this thread.  I am pregnant with our second child.  I had a positive pregnancy test at home about three days after my missed period. I started spotting and cramping immediately, (which I also did with my first pregnancy).  When I told my doctor about it, they wanted me to have blood tests to see if my hcg levels were doubling.  I was somewhere between 4 and 5 weeks.  My first levels were 719, second levels (two days later) were only 840.  They told me not to worry and just to keep a careful eye on the spotting and cramping.
   About a week later, I noticed I had been cramping only on my right side pretty regularly, though nothing intense, for a few days.  I called and they had me come in immediately for an ultrasound.  She did see the yolk sac and baby.  It measured at 5 weeks, 5 days.  (I should have been 6 weeks 2 days according to my last period.) She also saw that I had  an ovarian cyst, which was causing the cramping on the one side.
    I just went back, one week later, for another ultrasound.  The baby measured at 6 weeks, 5 days just as it should and we could see the heartbeat.  So, if everything continues to go okay, it seems that a pregnancy can be okay with levels that did not double.  I am also feeling very sick, and very tired - which I guess is a good sign.
  Again, I am so sorry for the moms who have suffered lost pregnancies, I wish you lots of luck and blessings in your future tries.
hi and good luck to u all...
i am 5 weeks and 6days. i ovalted may 6th and this am woke up with slight brown mucus discharge only when wipe nothing in pad though alittle pink for hour no accumilation though just when wiping.....i started at 3 weeks hcg 84 then 2 days later 284.8 then 2 weeks almost ;later tues 3700 in the evening then this am about 34 hours later went to 4250 i read it can take up to 72 hours so would that be 50% or ok seeing how some increase slower then others....i have very very very mild cramping here n there...wondering they did ultrasound 2 weeks ago nothing did they see then 4 days ago saw g sac and nothing in tubes.....they think maybe im way too early but with hcg level n spotting wondering could it be baby just implanted or no honestly whats ur guys intake on this kinda confusing i no sorry and BEST of luck to ALL of you i am so sorry for the loses and best of luck to those waiting i have been crying non stop i changed my whole life to do right to make sure doing greast when had our miracle and met my soulmate n we r so excited even though hard to hear truth is there hope realistically???
Thank you all for your time
1st baby here
sara