Maternal & Child Community
HCG how soon can it be detected?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HCG how soon can it be detected?

I've ONLY had sex once this month. actually 20 days ago, i took a blood test 8 days ago (12 days after sex), and it came out negative, but i still haven't gotten my period yet. im on my 54th day of cycle. very late... can anyone tell me if a blood test at this moment will give me an accurate result. i will take another blood test 3 days from now and want to know if it can still be very soon to be taken. it will be 23 days after sex. please can someone give me some advice? Also I have always been very normal on my period, only 3 months ago i had my period on the 42 day of cycle, but it has happened only once. I really need to know if I am.
Thank u.
claudia
couple questions....how old are you and what is your "normal" cycle length?
most people only range from 26ish days to maybe 36ish days in a cycle.  42 days is a long time, and 56 days shoot you are pushing 2 months.  i would think that if you are pg it would have shown on a blood test by now, since you would be like 7 almost 8 weeks pg. however stranger things have happened.

btw-  i know that in invetro situations hcg tests can be performed as early as 5 days after the procedure. blood hcg levels can detect the smallest amounts of hcg.
hpt on the other hand depends on which brand you buy and the most sensitive can pick up an hcg level of 25.
good luck
~nanci
Hi thank u for anwering to me.. im 22 years old and i have always had cycles of 28 to the most 32 days.. only that month 3 months ago. i am not sexually active well only this month it happened once. i am very scared. do you suggest i should take another blood test or do I go to a doctor cuz im scared it could be an ectopic and my hcg will not be detected if it is.
With an ectopic pregnancy, you still would show rising hcg numbers as if it were a pregnancy within the uterus. In fact, they would rise just as if they were in the proper place, your only indication in most cases would be a severe pain on one side when you would be about 6-8 weeks along.

Chances are if you only had sex the one time, you are not pregnant. I would double check by getting a blood test, but a positive result is not likely given the length of time. By now you would show a + on all HPT's. A blood test can detect a pregnancy as early as 6 days post ovulation and the average for early detection HPT's is 10 days post ovulation.

Andrea
thank u to all who aswered... i really appreciate it. :) i will take another blood test and ill tell u what were the results. again thank u..
claudia
A blood test usually detects the HCG level right away even the smallest amount. I took a EPT over the counter pregnancy test about a week and a half before I was due to start and it showed a very light pink line so I called my doctor for a blood test and it detect it right away I had a level of 50. So I was about a week and a half along from conception which is very early and it was detected. Are you having any symptons at all?
no i was past due those days see. my last period was day one on june 8 to the 12th so, the day ihad sex was the 11 th of july so i was already late. im really frustrated about all this so i really cant tell if i have any symptoms. i sleep about 2 to 3 hours during the day but i always do so i cant tell if its cuz i am. and no cramping at all. mm what else no headaches. if i would not to be pregnant what could cause me to skip my period? it has never happened, im 22 and had regular cycles. ohh another thing when i was about 2 weeks late i took a shot for bith control, those that are suppose to work for a month, there is 2 kinds one for 1 and another for 3 months, i took the one for 1. i had never before done something like that cuz i was not sexually active. someone told me that if i wasnt pregnant, and i would take it i would get my period right afterwords, so idid take it on 12 days after sex. when i took the 1st blood test (negative) but nothing happened to me, its already 23 days after sex and no period. or spotting like ive read on some cases. i have no clue of whats going on with my body. i will take another blood test or a home test soon but im scared i did get pregnant. see it was a one time thing and its hard for me to know i am. -claudia
I know everyone is different but I noticed right away that I was tired a lot more and I was getting headaches a lot. Around the time I missed my period about 4 weeks along the nausea started. My boobs never got real sore until now and I'm 16weeks now. Maybe more mucus when you wipe after going to the restroom....Are you having any of these symptons at all? Maybe you are having another late cycle???? Can you check your calender and see if you were ovulating around the time you had sex that one time? It would be around 13-14 days from the start of your last period.....
no i dont think so.. the only thing are my breasts.. but i think its me being nervous about it, also if i am i would have 23 days of being cuz thats the only time i had intercourse. what other sign of pregnancy would ihave by now nikki? thank u for caring..
I just took a hpt and it read negative! its 27 days after unprotected sex. but no period :( whats wrong with my body?
hello its me again.. im sorry but im still a bit worried cuz its almost two missed periods and my pregnancy tests keep reading negative (blood and hpt's). what can i take to have a normal period back? is there anything i can take or eat to bring it back?
hi i had sex on the 21st of august how soon can i take a pregnacy test
I HAD SEX ON JULY 8 and13 I SAW MY PERIOD on July 13for two days only. That not normal i always see my period for 6 to 7 days. I did a pregnancy test and it came out negative. I went to the doctor and did some  test  on July 25 it also came out negative. Is it to early to tell or can i still be pregency.
I would talk to a doctor, you should have a period every month... there could be something more seriously wrong.
My cousin had 3 blood pregnancy test done before they detected that she was pregnant sometimes the pregnancy hormones aren't strong enough to show up..

A short period could mean pregnancy but not neccesary I have had short periods a few times and not being pregnant. I just called it a short period and Thanks fro the break.

But if you are still concerned about that situation you should see the Doc. Or wait to see how your next period flows..

Good Luck and God Bless
My first and second pregnancy did not show possitive until i was 8-9 weeks, i felt very tired and sick, miss period but the blood test always came back negative, until 8-9 weeks. I still don't understand how could that happened, but it did, i have two healthy kids my first is 7 years old and my second is 5. Now is happening again, i when for testing and the same thing negative 2 times, i wish i had an answer why this happened, but all i know is that an ultrasound is always best, i boked one for next week. I'll see the then.
im worried because i always get my period regular.my cycle is 28 days.my  last period was on july 6 and i had intercourse july 13, july 20 and aug3.   i have no sign of my period. im freaking out.i feel normal. i took  a  pregnancy test and it was negative.should i wait longer??? or can it be that i had maybe a stressful month.  i'm only 25 just (turned 25  last week)   Can it b that my body is changing because of my age...  please someone respond
Hi Cocobella,

your entry is very interesting and I guess encouraging for me. I am stuck in a limbo right now. I have missed my menses 2 weeks as of today. Although i seems to have all the right symptoms i.e.implantation bleed, increased CM, extreme fatigue, my HPT still show up negative. It is all very discouraging and confusing. My doctor seems to think it's just my hormones going haywired and refused to do a blood test. This has never happened to me before and i am starting to believe my doctor that i could be just neurotic. Pls advise. Lastly, hope you get good news for your ultrascan.
Your case sounds similar to a my case that I had in 2005. I missed my mensus for six months straight. I took test after test and they were all negative. Then I had a vaginal ultrasound and they discovered a cyst on one of  my ovaries. I went under the knife to get it removed. From then I had normal periods. I got pregnant 7 months later to only miscarry. A year went by and I got pregnant again (March 07) only to discover that it was an ectopic pregnancy. Now, I have missed my period for the month of August and the test keep coming back negative but I feel sooo pregnant. I get dizzy; I am nauseous every day; my breast are sensitive; my lower back hurts tremendously; and I always feel like something is gushing from my vaginal area but when I run to the bathroom nothing is there. So, I am pretty worried that this could be another ectopic. The only thing different from this time and the other ectopic is that the HPT show up positive. We have such a hard time figuring out our bodies. They are such mysteries.  
twinkles105
I'm an old woman of 39 and have been thinking hard about having another baby. My only child is 17 years old. I had Toxemia with that pregnancy. Now, I have been diagnosed with a mini stroke vs multiple sclerosis. However, no doctor can tell me exactly what happened to me a year ago. Why I have a 2 brain lesions, but function normal. However, they seem to be able to say that a baby is risky business. Anyway, I just wanted to vent and am open to comments. Thanks!
On Jan 1st, my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex. On Jan. 22, I got my period as usual.. Does this mean I am not pregnant or Is it still too ealry to tell?
Sounds like you aren't pregnant.
Use some protection.
Im actually already  a mother of twins who are 6 and my boyfriend and I have been together for 10 years.. We would actually like to have another, so I was a little disappointed when I got my period.
If you got your period, and it was normal and on time you are likely not pregnant.  If you have an average 14 day luteal phase you will ovulate 14 days before your next period.  Sperm can live 3-5 days in your body (the more fertile you are at a particular tine on your cycle, the longer the sperm can survive), so if you had sex on Jan 1, sperm could live probably until the 4th.  If you have a regular cycle and average luteal phase you would have ovulated around the 8th.  Subtract 17 days from your next period due and start having sex at least every other day and you'll be more likely to have the sperm there when you need it.  Good luck!