Maternal & Child Community
HCG level rising after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HCG level rising after miscarriage

I had a miscarriage and ended bleeding on August 12th (almost 4 weeks ago). My HCG levels had fallen to about 28 and this week  they are up to 212 again. What does this mean? I can't talk to my Doc. because of the holiday weekend and I am starting to worry. Please help.
I have never had a miscarriage, but you can always search the internet for miscarriage and HCG levels until you can talk to your doctor.  How do you know your HCG levels are up without talking to your doctor?
I'm no expert but I have had three m/c in the past two years, and it sounds to me like you might have the "disappearing twin" syndrome (i.e. there were two fetuses, one miscarried, and the other is still there). I don't know if there could be part of the placenta still manufacturing HCG even without a baby. You should really get an ultrasound asap, especially if you still have pregnancy symptoms. Good luck! Keep us posted!
I have been going to the Doctor every 2 weeks or so to make sure my hcg levels are going back down. This time the test said they were 212.
any suggestions made about possible causes at this point will be pure speculation, You got good advice, from the postings above, I would say you should make an appointment with your Doctor see him have more tests and ultrasound as decieded there by you and the Doc, then take it from there
wasn't your doctor concerned at those levels? if your miscarriage was "complete" there would be no reason for your hcg levels to rise. this should be an obvious red flag for your doctor. i'm curios to know what he/she said about it. if they weren't concerned  you need to see another doctor. don't get me wrong- it shouldn't be anything life threatening that can't wait until after the holiday, but any dr. worth their salt wouldn't give you an hcg level like that and not at least give you a hint as to why the levels went up.
I had a molar pregnancy and they followed my hcg's for a year to make sure they didn't start to go back up. That is one instance where sometimes it does and it means there is still some tissue left in there.

hi everyone, i dont mean to but in but i also have a question about rising hcg's.

my husband and i have been trying to conceive for 5 years with no luck (m/c Jan 2003)
we have just found out i am between 6-7weeks pregnant now but 4 days ago i woke up bleeding slightly (only when wiped).
the blood would start off red but then go brown with in an hour or so,  we went to the hospital to get a check up done, they did ultrasound (which was inconclusive due to early dating) and hcg levels. my hcg level on thursday was 23,000 and i was told to get it redone on the saturday and the monday.
i was told that the hcg was to have doubled every two days for the pregnancy to be viable, but the saturday results come back at 30,560 only 7,560 higher.
the doc said with these results its two early to tell what is  happening but all this waiting is driving me crazy.
Can any one help me with any information, or similar stories and their outcomes???
did they check your progesterone levels? low progesterone can cause you to lose a perfectly normal pregnancy. i read your other post about how you conceived... the ovulation problems you describe mirrored mine and it made me wonder if you had low progesterone. ask your doctor to check. there are prescription supplements they can give you that will save a viable pregnancy (they won't help an inevitable miscarriage) sorry you have to go through this. other than looking into progesterone supplements all you can do at this point is wait.

let us know what happens.
With my last miscarriage I was about 8 weeks at my first sono but they didn't see my babies heartbeat so though I was earlier than I thought. They drew hcg's and they were 26,000 and then 2 days later 37,000. The doctor told me she was Very Concerned. I began to miscarry within that week. I have never had hcg's drawn with a preg that I didsn't miscarry so I don't have experience that way.
I'm going through the same thing right now.  My husband and I have tried for two years to get pregnant, so we were delighted when a home test showed positive on August 23 (my last period started on July 22).  I had some spotting that first week and called my doctor's office and they did an hCG screen.  Day one levels were 129, 48 hours later the levels were 193.  On September 2 I began to have heavy bleeding and cramping.  They did another hCG test and the levels had dropped to 45.  My doctor told me that I was miscarrying and we were going to let nature take it's course as hard as it was.  Last Friday(September 9) I had blood drawn for a final hCG test.  The doctor called me and left a message saying she wanted to discuss the results...I called the office back and the nurse told me that my levels are at 105.  They want me to have more blood drawn today.  I asked the nurse what this means and she said she'd have my doctor call me.  I am currently waiting on that call.
hi everyone, firstly thanks to stacie for replying to my previous post.

i just wanted to let everyone know,hcg hormones not doubling dont always mean negative consequences.
i had just had a terrible 3 weeks. as i said in my previos post, im at the early stage of pregnancy, and suffered minor bleeding.
Due to a previous miscarriage, we went to the hospital to get checked out.
i had ultrasounds done which showed a gestation sac of about 5weeks 4 days but no visable baby. i was told this was normal because it was too early to see so not to panic.
i saw my doc. the following day she ordered hcg tests be done. i saw her about a week later to get the results and she told me to expect a miscarriage within a week or so cause my levels wernt doubling (1st sept=23000,3rd sept=30560,5th sept=35082).
she said we were having a blighted ovum thats why my levels were so high and not doubling, and why there was no baby in the sac.   we were devistated as you can imagine. and went home to wait for it to happen.  a week and a half later no bleeding at all and no signs of miscarriage so the doc sent us for another scan saying sometimes the body will re-absorb the pregnancy tissue instead of flushing it out.

TO OUR AMAZEMENT WE FOUND BABY AND STRONG HEARTBEAT!!!!!!

I couldnt beleive id just gone through 3 weeks of hell because the doctor was too quick to judge from the hcg levels.

anyway the point of this long story is to inform other worried mums to be your hormane levels dont have to be normal to be normal!!! and always stay positive.  
one other thing i wanted to add was please consider carefully before having d+cs done because if my doc had her way we would have had one 2 weeks ago and killed a perfectly healthy baby.
my hcg levels were 129 went for a vaginal ultrasound they couldnt see aNYTHING NOT EVEN A SAC  IS THIS NORMAL WHEN THE LEVEL IS ONLY 29
I found out that i was pregnant last Jan, and was very excited i had my first appt on my birthday feb,19th. My mom went with me because my boyfreind couldnt take off work. Everything went great, the baby seemed to be at about 10 weeks gestation, baby's heartbeat was 132 beats per min. When i went back a month later they could not find the heartbeat so they did a ultrasound and there was no heartbeat baby had stopped growing at about 11 weeks. I was devestated, I made the choice to have a D&C the following week so that i didnt have to play the waiting game, that was about 11 weeks ago and my hormone levels last week were 66 and yesterdays test they had jumped back up to 80? I know thats not a big jump but why would they go up after all this time ahen they have been going down? If anyone has any insight it would be helpful.
Trista
Hi had hcg levels checked on tuesday they were 12 and i had heavy bleeding that morning with some tissue discharge doctor said i miscarried had levels checked again thursday and levels are 24, is this normal?
I took a pregnancy test March 13th Saturday and it came back positive.  I had slight bleeding the following Saturday and went to the ER.  My cervix was still closed(a good sign) but my hcg level was only a 21.  The dr. said I caught my pregnancy very early.  On Monday my hcg level was a 7.  My dr. said to think of it a a miscarriage but they want me to have bloodwork and a pelvic exam done one more time just to make sure.  He said that they have seen crazy things happen and delivered healthy babies.  This is my first pregnancy.  This weekend had been very hard on myself and my boyfriend.   He is devestated.  Is it absurd to hope?
Has anyone experienced HCG levels hovering at the same level? Mine have been in the 140's three  times and I'm scheduled for a third test in two weeks. The doctor said my baseline could be higher than most????
I am new to this so bear with me.  Here is my story.  I had a m/c on 20th June this year.  The Dr took 2 pregnancy tests straight after and said they both came back negative.  Then I used a ovulation tester kit to see when was a good time to try again and we did.  Even though the doctor said leave it for 1 cycle, me and my husband couldn't wait.  I am like clockwork so I would have expected my next period would be about 20 July (maybe give or take a few days because of the m/c).  I havent had a period and it is now the 28th July.  Last week I took a pregnancy test and it said positive 1 - 2 weeks.  Today I have taken one and it says 3+ weeks.  Is it possible for the HCG level from my miscarriage to be giving me a false positive?  If so why would it appear to be rising?  Can the HCG level continue to rise after a pregnancy test is negative - I am confused - an anyone help
hi am 6 weeks pregnant starting bleeding a little last sunday went to hospital did scan found pregnancy sac in womb and too early too see anything else did blood test hcg level on sunday was 220 and then repeated on tues and was 30 they say i've miscarried my baby but my gp thinks since i had no pain, very little bleeding and no clots that i'm still pregnant and have also got several positive urine tests since so they repeated blood test in hospital yesterday and get results later on to see if hcg levels have stayed same or dropped again so please god they've risen i'm getting a bit of hope from people who said there levels have dropped and then continued in pregnancy and had healthy babies good luck to all thanks lorraine
The doctors and everyone are telling me to be cautious check for signs of my tubes rupturing but all this is driving me crazy. On Oct 26 I had a blood preg test done it was positive but my urine test was not then on the 27 I went to the er where they said my levels were 29 but I was bleeding and passed two clots so we concluded miscarriage however on the 29 of oct they were 46 then on the 27 of Nov I went back because my urine preg test was positive and my level had gone up to 1442 but ultrasound showed empty im very confused because on the 29th of Nov my level decreased to 1178. I just really wish i could get some answers
Following a D& C my levels dropped to 50 and then one week later went to 100. My doctor thinks the second embryo transferred is in my tubes. My second opinion doctor thinks my d & c was not complete. I don't know what to do
can any ody offer me support please
i know these posts are quite old but i had a miscarriage 6 weeks ago got the all clear from the hospital every week up untill 3 weeks ago i was getting neg results then i got a positive (all using the smae make of test) i went to the hospital and they were quick to tell me i wasnt pregnant but had tissue left from my miscarriage i had blood taken 3 times in which my hcg levels are risen from 40 to 72 and then risen again not to sure what to yet although they are not doubling im pretty sure my hcg levels should be going down by now i am going crazy not knowing if i am pregnant or not and the hospital dont seem to be helping got a scan tomorrow to see what is happening has anyone else been through this
I dont know where to start really - Well i went through ivf and got my bfp so was scheduled for my 6 week san on wed, we went to the clinic and had our scan only to be told that there was no pregnancy in the womb and the dr was pretty sure it was an ectopic, They took my hcg that came back at 780, they told me to get straight to hospital and prepare for an operation for an ectopic pregnancy.

I go to hospital and they ask if im in any pain at all or anything unusual, I tell them everythings fine, Ive had the odd bit of old blood but nothing too worrying, they couldnt beleive i had no pain, so scanned me again and again nothing found, they allowed me to go home and come back on fri for another scan and blood, I went yesterday and they did the scan and found something in the womb but it was too early to tell if it was a baby, empty sack or blood in the womb, She said my overies where massive so again if i had any pain straight to hosp as this can alsso be dangerous,

My hcg did drop from 780 to 630 but there now saying if i was carrying twins and im losing one of them then my hcg will drop and will eventually go back up but it might be that one of them is in my tube as i had 2 embryos put back, I feel pregnant and havent had any pain to indicate an ectopic or miscarriage so im confused, I just want to know if im pregnant or not, So back to the hospital on Mon for more blood to see if the hcg has increased or decreased, i dont know what to believe anymore xxx
I know this is a bit late...am going through a similar experience. I saw blood clots on Sunday eve (18th Sept) after seeing a positive home preggy test that same afternoon. I was also devistated , so MOnday I went to Dr for check up and found that I had a gestation sac of about 7 weeks. It was empty. So I was asked to submit blood sample for HCG, which came back supporting the sauna machine results  at 68 000, took more blood on wednesday because the blood count was expected to double. To my dismay it was  only at 71 000.So I was asked to come in afetr a week to submit more blood sample and also do another ultrasound check. I am so confused and unsure what expect. I can only hope that God has a miracle for me....thanks for your communication
My mom is goimg through the exact same thing and we've been reading and reading and reasing about her high hcg levels. And alot are semi-hopeful and i came across your post... as i read it to myself my face lit up to  "TO OUR AMAZMENT..." :") And i read it aloud to my mom... she immediately bursted into tears.. she's so happy but frustrated of everything she has been going through...I'm so sad about all of this it pains me to see her in such pain.. but i just aanted to thank you so much! :") i mean if it turns out she's pregnant.. i will not help but to think of the Miracle Post i read :"] thank you... <3 justwannabemummy? I justwannabesister thanks <3
My mom is goimg through the exact same thing and we've been reading and reading and reasing about her high hcg levels. And alot are semi-hopeful and i came across your post... as i read it to myself my face lit up to "TO OUR AMAZMENT..." :") And i read it aloud to my mom... she immediately bursted into tears.. she's so happy but frustrated of everything she has been going through...I'm so sad about all of this it pains me to see her in such pain.. but i just aanted to thank you so much! :") i mean if it turns out she's pregnant.. i will not help but to think of the Miracle Post i read :"] thank you... <3 justwannabemummy? I justwannabesister thanks <3