Maternal & Child Community
HCG levels dropped

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HCG levels dropped

I saw heartbeat on u/s at 8 weeks, although u/s dated me a week early.  My doctor was not concerned too much, but had me test hcg to see if there was any change.

My level was 77000+ on May 14, but just 70000+ on May 16.  Does this definitely mean an impending miscarriage?  I have pregnancy signs still and no miscariage ones.

I'm hoping this is a mistake in the test, but feeling doubtful.  Has anyone's levels dropped a bit like this, and they've still been ok?  I've had one m/c already so am pretty worried.
Just outta curiousity what did your doctor say about your lvls dropping?
She's not in, her nurse called with the lvls.  Nurse said I should come in and get another blood test.
I would definitely go in and get more lvls drawn. Dropping lvls aren't a good sign however I have heard of some womens lvls dropping slightly in the beginning and then picking back up. Keep us posted.
That is a pretty big drop and that is usually indicative of a problem.  You definitely need to have more bloodwork to see what is happening.
Your levels are supposed to start dropping at AROUND 10 weeks.  I had my first appt. yesterday (Thurs.)and my Dr. said that since we saw the heartbeat Monday the chance of a miscarriage is around 5 to 6%. i would ask for another u/s because it's still to early to hear the heartbeat with the Dr.'s doppler, but w/ the u/s you could see it. that would make me feel better than seeing the levels again.
not that this is definately your case, but there are instances where women are carrying more than one and lose one, without knowing. the body can just reabsorb a non developed fetus. that is always a possibility.
Thanks for the supportive comments, but it appears to be bad news.  Saw Dr. this am and he feels not viable as he was having problems seeing it on ultrasound.  Even though a viable embryo and cardiac activity was seen a few weeks ago.  All he saw was an oddly shaped uterus with growth that was not easily recognizable.  I am going for a full u/s later today to confirm before having a D&C next week.

Had lvls tested again, but he thought this was not particularly helpful, u/s should confirm viability at this point.

This is my 2nd one in less than a year (last was June 2006).  It really sucks, but I need to move on soon...I just turned 40:-(  I'm having no miscarriage signs whatsover, but I know from last m/c that it could be weeks before anything happens.