Maternal & Child Community
HCG slow to increase

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HCG slow to increase

I am very concerned about my HCG levels... I am approximatly 6 weeks pregnant.  The first test came out to be 1200, two days later 1800, two days later 2153, and three days after that 2766.  I had an ultrasound for ectopic, and we saw a sac... it is apparently too early to see the embryo.  So, as it isn't ectopic, is there any hope for a normal pregnancy with these numbers?
not that this is the case with everyone in this situation, but I also had slow rising numbers (4566 @ 7w2d, 4807@7w4d, and 5098@ 8w1d) and it turned out to be a blighted ovum. I had 2 ultrasounds, one at 6w5d LMp and saw the sac and another at 8w4d and saw a sac and nothing else and m/c this past weekend. My prayers are with you and I will keep my fingers crossed for you : ) Keep up on the ultrasounds, you never know what you may see!! I know the uncertainty is painful, it was more painful than when I found out that we were going to lose the pregnancy. Just know that God does work in mysterious ways and that everything will work out in the end!

Andrea
Angel baby 6/28/03
Jonathan Avery 12/7/01
Angel baby 8/00
Angel baby 1/96
Angel baby 11/92
I know how you feel & wish I had some answers -I'm just so grateful to have found this forum since I've been feeling so alone and steadily driving myself crazy with my questions. I also am about 6wks (just guessing cause I don't have regular cycles)My u/s showed only a sac and hcg levels were 16,174 and 21566 but were not taken a full 48 hrs apart. Some of the info I've found said it takes longer to double at higher levels so now I've found I can't stop being hopeful. My dr said it is pretty much a done deal, almost 100% sure it is a blighted ovum but it is so hard to believe it in my heart when my body still feels pregnant and I have no cramping or bleeding to make me believe otherwise. I've chosen to mc naturally but I think the waiting & wondering will drive me over the edge! All this to say you are not alone - I'm here feeling scared, sad, angry, impatient and hopeful right along w/ you. Wish I just knew if I should keep hoping or if I'm just in denial...
If they saw the sac in uterine then it's definitely not ectopic.  Although...I guess it could be rare that you had one in uterine and one in the tubes, but that is so, so rare, I wouldn't count on it.

I'm in the same boat, slow to rise, but rising..my levels are much, much lower than yours though.  There isn't much you can do but wait and take care of yourself.  If it turns to be a blighted ovum, there wasn't anything anyone could of done to prevent it.  I've tried to stop going every 2-3 days to have my levels drawn, I found it to be quite painful just seeing them barely inch up.  I think a seriel of u/s'is the best way to tell what's going on.
Thanks for all your comments!  I'm just waiting for the next ultrasound, now.

Sheshrink -
May I ask what was visible on the first u/s at 6wks & if it was vaginal or abdominal? The postings I've been reading make me wonder if I should have another u/s in a week or so just to be certain since it sounds as if the hcg levels may not always be definitive. But I remember seeing that empty sac and wonder if I'm just hiding from the inevitable. I continue to only have the usual pregnancy symptoms & no cramping or bleeding so I am trying very hard to make this real and make the appropriate decisions for medical care. Regardless of my outcome I am so excited for your miracle and so appreciative of all the brave, strong women who have posted their stories & comments here - I feel so much less frazzled & crazy when I read them.
Hi Christine...just a few words of encouragement...I went in for an ultra @ 6 weeks and they did not see a fetus. Like you, I was worrying that it was a blighted ovum as my numbers also did not double in the 48 hrs (22, 000 to 23,500) and I had some brown discharge (sorry I know it is grosse). However, I went in last week when I was 7 weeks 6 days and alas, they saw a little fetus and the heart pumping away. Doc says all looks well! So do not worry and do not anticipate the worst. Also, the numbers taper off when you get close to 9 weeks and as long as your numbers are increasing, that is a good sign. No cramping or bleeding, or no pains in one side is also a positive sign. I think the doc jumped the gun in your case, you may want to find another obgyn and definitely wait about 10 days for another ultra; also, vaginal ultrasounds are more detailed-on the abdominal one you could not see the heartbeat of my fetus but you could on the vaginal one. I wish you all the best, and my prayers are with you. I hope all is ok with you. DONT WORRY!
Hi there...at 6 weeks they saw a gestational sac but no fetus, on both the vaginal and abdominal ultra. At 7 weeks 6 days they saw everything via vaginal ultra, and the heartbeat. I am still having some spotting/brown discharge but the docs think the  ultrsound is more important, especially b/c levels taper off around 9 weeks, give or take a few days. Good luck!
Hi everyone.  I was excited when I found out I was pregnant.  July 14 my bt revealed Proges. was 21.7 and HCG 304....On July 22, my proges. was 27.4, but JCG was only 1000.  He did a vaginal u/s and uterus and sac looked good, but nothing else seen - no fetal heartbeat.  My doc told me to be realistic and didn't look very good, but to hang in there.  I am still on proges pills, baby asprin and plenty of water every day.  I go back July 28 for more btesting and u/s.  How did your turn out Christine, lorileijnb, thunder214?  Congrats sheshrink!  Please any words of encouragemnt would be appreciated.
Hi Everyone,

To our surprise we found out that we were pregnant on Aug 6.  As happy as we were my dr was a little concerned that my HcG levels were low. I had more bloodwork done this morning (Aug 10) & my levels had tripled (77 to 253)!  Although this is much better I'm still worried that they are much too low.  My dr. has told me not to stress the level for right now and that we'll do another blood test on Aug 13.  This is my 1st pregnancy (via an IUI treatment). I'm trying not to worry but it's really hard (especially as I thought I had miscarried earlier in the month).  Any words of wisdom?  Any ideas on how I can naturally increase my levels?
Hi Leanne,

I think you are worrying a bit too early.  You should wait until your 5-6 week u/s. I am in the same boat though a bit further along. My 7-week u/s showed only a gestational sac and a faint outline of a yolk sac. The doctor put the pregnancy at 6wk1day, but I was sure it may be 7 wks1day. I dont know now. Anyway, I had my Hcg drawn a day later and the levels were 30,000 and 32,000 45 hours later. So, it had barely increased in the 48 hours. My doctor was not very hopefuly but gave me a 60-40 chance with 40 being a viable pregnancy. I am so scared and upset. I sobbed my heart out when she told me the levels and what she thought about it. My husband has been saying everything will be okay...but i have my fears and hopes. I hope all goes well with you and my prayers are with you, but again you are worrying very early. You should have no reason to worry immediately. There are no ways to increase the levels, but think well and eat/drink healthy.