Maternal & Child Community
HELP!!! Desperate Mommy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HELP!!! Desperate Mommy

I know this might gross you out, but I need help.! About a month ago I started potty training my son, and he already is peeing on the potty, and let's me know when he has to go. He even sleeps the entire night without weting the sheets. But I am having trouble with him poping in the potty. He does not let me know when he has to poop. He just sticks his hand in the underware takes out his poop, and goes and flushes it down the toilet. I have bribed him, sat in the restroom until he would do pop in his potty. I have explained to him where he has to pop, and no luck. I really need advice, please help!!!1
How old is your son?
My son is 2, but will be turning 3 in two weeks.
Well, sweetheart, I'd back off.  He's nearly there, put him into pullups and tell him calmly but firmly to come get you when they need to be changed rather than to reach behind and get his deposit and put it into the toilet, explain that he should not have poo on his hands because it is not clean.  Then lay off.  Sometimes the situation just does not merit parental desperation.  I'm sure he'll get there soon.  Do you have one of those great toilet seats they sell at Home Depot that have a smaller seat ring inside the lid, that can be pulled down for the kid to sit on?  I wouldn't make a big deal of relating one of those to poops, but I would consider getting one and putting it on the toilet just in case his problem is fear of falling in.  The reason I suggest you back off is that if a kid gets too emotionally conflicted about pooping in the toilet, children are perfectly capable of "holding" until they actually get bowel impactions.  You really, really really don't want to deal with encopresis.