Maternal & Child Community
HELP! I got Herpes Zoster with pregnancy!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My last period was on May 20th, and got herpes zoster on my chest and back on June 10th, then took medicine by mouth from June 13-19th. The medicine's name is Valaciclovir Hydrochloride Tablet
I have two concerns: wondering  (1) if the herpes itself alone could cause birth defect to the fetus; (2) if the medicine I took cause much harm to the fetus. I have consulted different doctors about this, while some said it is serious to cause birth defect, and some said if she had the herpes and medicine with 15 days after conception, it should be safe for the fetus.
This is my first pregnancy, I really want it.
Hope for your helpful opinion!!! Please Help me!
Avatar n tn
Hey what is herpes zoster? And what does it look like?
Avatar n tn
It is also known as shingles.