Maternal & Child Community
HELP... I think my baby is OVERTIRED

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HELP... I think my baby is OVERTIRED

Hi Everyone
  Here is my situation.  My baby is 5 weeks old. The first 3-4 weeks were terrible. She had LOTS of gas. My mother helped me with relieving the gas and now the baby is fine. She sleeps 6 hours each night, gets up to feed and then is down for another 2 or 3 (I LIKE that part). However, since she was born she 1) does not nap very much during the day. she is up for 2 and then down for only 30-45 mins and up again for 1.5 or 2 hours and 2) will NOT go to sleep before midnight no matter WHAT we try.
here is what we do:
she is up from her 30 or 45 min anywhere between 6 and 630. Her last feeding is around 430 so I try to stall her for another hour before feeding. while she is up, she will take a pacifer. We have tried to dance with her, put her infront of the TV, talk and play with her legs, give her a bath....ANYTHING to occupy her. she likes everything that we have tried. Then around 730 or 8 I feed her (she is breastfed) She passes out on my breast. I wait about 10 mins and then put her in her bed. She is great and I tip toe out. The time now is about 830. At 840, she cries. I wait about 2 mins and then go up to check her. I put in her pacifier and bounce the bed a little and hold her hand. She falls back asleep and I (again) tip toe out around 9pm. At 915, she does it again. I give her another 2 mins and go in. She will not take her pacifier and screams until I pick her up. I pick her up and she is instantly quiet but WIDE awake. So then I start the whole routine over again. I rock her to sleep (unless its 1130and then I feed her again)We do this again and again and again until the magic number (midnight) strikes and then she is out. I THINK that because she doesnt sleep very well during the day that she is over tired. But I dont want to rule anything out.

Being new parents, I think there are some things that we have not tried, so this is why I am reaching out.  I will admit that I am afraid to put her down too early because I dont want to start battling her at 3 or 4am to get her to go down for 6 hours, but I also dont like staying up til midnight or 1230

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. and if you think that I have too high of expectations for a 5 week old, please dont hesitate to tell me so. I want to be the best mom and if she IS overtired, then let me know how to calm an overtired baby. If she is not overtired, and I am being unrealistic, then at least I can stop beating myself over it
Thanks again
Have you read anything on Dr. Sears' website about "wearing the baby down"?  It means to wear her in a sling around the house, so she can sleep, or be awake, or whatever.  Apparently that kind of constant movement and contact is very conducive to good sleep.  She will nap in the sling (is more comfortable at this young age with movement than with stillness) and will also be better set to go to bed at night and sleep.  Google Dr. Sears and sleep, and you'll get some good stuff.
It might be a better idea to not rock the baby to sleep all the way. It's always better to put them down in their crib when they're still a bit awake so they can get used to soothing themselves to sleep. My son didn't nap very well during the day when he was a newborn, but he did manage to sleep well at night. Good luck!
i agree with babypooh if she learns to put her self to sleep it may be easyer for you, cuddle her so she is very relaxed and then put her in her cot, if she crys wate for 5-10 mins befor you go in as she might just be crying as she no's your come in and cuddle her agen, if she dont settle go in and sit by her cot softly taking to her but dont get her out so she understands that once she has been put to be thats where shes gonna stay! i no it must be realy hard but she will learn that once bed time comes she has to sleep! good luck x