Maternal & Child Community
Had D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Had D

I had a miscarriage and on November first had a D&C.  Since then I no longer had any pregnancy symptoms.  Now about six weeks post D&C I am feeling all the symptoms I did when I was pregnant but I have been spotting for six days.  It's been bright red and a little brown or dark red now.  Could I be pregnant?  Why am I spotting so long?  I haven't had a period since the procedure.  What could be going on.  Please help, I'm so confused.  My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years!!!
You are probably having your first period.  My first period after my d&c in September was horrible.  I had pain in both ovaries as well as many of they pregnancy symptoms.  It also lasted 7 days as opposed to the normal 5.  If the bleeding becomes worse or does not quit in the next couple of days, you may want to contact your Dr..  I got my period 4 weeks after my d&c.  They say it could start anywhere from 4-10 wks.  It's all dependent on how quickly your hcg levels dropped.  You could always phone your dr to find out if the clotting and such sounds normal.  Sometimes not everything get cleaned out with the initial d&c and it has to be repeated.  

I'm very sorry you are going through this.  It's horrible.  Please be gentle with yourself.
I meant abnormal for any clotting.

Did they tell you how long you had to wait to try again?  I really hope you are able to conceive with positive outcomes soon.

Heather
I have not had any clotting or any pain in my ovaries.  Maybe about two weeks ago they ached.  The doctors said to wait a cycle which is recommended but sooner would not hurt me.  It is just to give your body time to heal.  I have been peeing a lot, nausau, craving, hormones out of whack.  I took a pregnancy test but it was negative.  But when I was pregnant I took two weeks apart and they were both negative but the blood test was positive.
and I forgot I've been very tired and no energey all the time.
That is what the doctor told me.  I just didn't think it was possible if I've been spotting this long.  But I haven't had to use a pad, it's been that light.I am gonna schedule a blood test soon.  I'm just hesitant because I don't want to hear the news if it's negative.  It would break my heart after what I've been through.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loses.  I do indeed know how very hard it is to go through that.Thank you so much for all your help.
It is absolutely possible to get pregnant before you have your period after a d&c.  You do ovulate between then.  Because it's hard to know when you exactly ovulated, a hpt may not even work.  If pregnant, you could be anywhere.  I would probably just schedule an appointment for a blood test.  They would probably want to monitor you a little closer since you just had a d&c if you are indeed pregnant.

I really hope it all works out for you and your husband.  This was my second miscarriage in a year.  I keep trying to focus on the fact that I have two healthy children but I really wanted these babies.  I'm holding off on the whole trying to conceive thing.  I thought I was pregnant about a month ago and completely freaked.  I'm mentally not ready to be pregnant again.

Please keep us posted with the results.
HAD BLOOD DRAWN TODAY.  WE'LL SEE WHAT THAT REVEALS BUT IT'S 10 DAYS AND i'M STILL SPOTTING
pg test negative.  Not sure what is going on with my body.
I have been reading and I was just wondering if you got your period yet? I just had my D&C 2 weeks ago after losing the baby 8 weeks old. I only bled for one week but it was off and on really heavy and stopped. Now, I have not been bleeding and all the pain stopped, but last night I started feeling really crampy and then this morning I felt like I had morning sickness. Please let me know what is going on with you. Any ideas to my problem?
I haven't had a period since the D&C six weeks ago but I spotted for 16 days the past two weeks and finally it stopped.  But before then my pregnancy symptoms had come back but are gone now.  I'm not sure but think our bodies still might be adjusting to the hormone changes.  I think I might call the old doc soon to see if this really is normal.  I was 12 weeks alond so you might adjust a little faster since you weren't as far.  I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and if you need anything just write me.  I know how hard it is!!!