Maternal & Child Community
Had a scare....back home from hospital....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I went to my OB because I just wasn't feeling well and my back was so achy and was experiencing some contractions. So I got there and the nurse/midwife said I was 4cm, 80% effaced and baby's head was right there. I started freaking out!! I was sent right over to the hospital to be monitored. Contractions were 2-3 min. apart until I got the 2nd shot of terbutaline. I got 3 shots total and fluids and felt like c r a p!! I got a steroid shot and go tomorrow for another. Then I got tested for GBS...so I should have those results in the next day or so. Once the contractions slowed, I was checked by the doc in the hospital. She first goes to check and is like "ummm I don't feel anything". So we changed positions and she checked again and said I was only 2cm and 50% effaced. What the heck???? I was told from 3 different people that I was 1 1/2cm and 70-80% effaced from 28 weeks until today. Weird??? So anyway, I called my OB and told her I was concerned. She said while I was contracting, things could have opened up a bit and it could have felt like 4cm and then when they got everything under control, it went back normal. So I probably am 2cm. But when my OB gives me other steroid shot tomorrow, she will re-check me to be sure since he has checked me the most out of everyone. I am stressed. I just want to get to 36 weeks now. I am only crawling out of my bed to use the bathroom...that is it. Baby needs to stay put another couple of weeks! Let's hope so! I was told though that I do have a big baby in there! yikes! Hang in there baby!
Wow...scary! Glad that everything got calmed down :-) That baby is just in a hurry to see its momma :-)
Thanks Cheyenne! Hopefully nothing has changed when I go to see my OB today and get my other shot...ouch..they hurt so bad!! And yes, this baby seems to be in a hurry to meet us! I can't wait to meet him/her, but I can wait another 19 days at least! =)
I went through the same thing with Ashtyn. Went into preterm labor at 27 weeks, was 3 cm dialated and 90% effaced. Was given trebutaline and observed in the hospital for the weekend. I was given the steroid shots too (Hurt like hell). The contractions stopped so I was sent home on sunday on strict bed rest. Went to my regular OB appointment that Wed, and was dialated to 4 and having contractions again. This time I was given magnesium sulfate (HORRIBLE HORRIBLE STUFF). Was placed on hospitalized bed rest that day and stayed there until they delivered Ashtyn via emergency c-section due to the cord being around his neck 6 times at 31 weeks! Preterm labor and a preemie baby is NOT fun! I am so glad you are in the final stretch and have made it this far! Just gotta last another 3 weeks! Baby will be here before you know it :-)
Hey girl.. I am so glad things have settled down at least for the time being.. you have had your share of scares.. hopefully the next couple of weeks things will calm down for the both of you..

I've been feeling like c r a p lately myself, but no contractions that I know of. I mainly feel okay during the day and like c r a p in the evenings..  

Let us know how your appt today goes.  
Oh Cheyenne, you went through a lot!! what exactly is the magnesium sulfate? I have heard of it, but how is it administered and how extreme does your situation have to be to get that? I hope I don't come to that.

Hannah, thanks! I will let you know when I get back from my appt.
Magnesium sulfate is a drug used in some hospitals to stop contractions when a mother is in preterm labor, or has developed pre-eclampsia. It is given through an IV and it makes you feel like your blood is boiling....you feel so hot, like you are on fire. Attempts to cool me down did NOTHING. They had ice packs on my head, Mike and my mom were fanning me...it was HORRIBLE. However, it did its job and got my contractions stopped. Generally it is a "last resort" drug to hold off labor another 24-48 hrs. I was 28 weeks when I got it, and it was the 2nd time I had went into preterm labor, so they needed to get me to the nearest hospital with a NICU. They flew me by air ambulance because we didn't have time for a ground ambulance. However, labor stopped and I delivered 3 weeks later.
well i suppose one thing you want to keep in mind is you may labor quite fast. My friend was at 9cm when she arrived at the hospital(of course she was around her due date though) and she was not experiencing alot of contractiosn but when they broke her water she went down to 4cm...CRAZY huh? but once the contractions started hardvcore she opened up to 10 no problem..
Cheyenne...thank you for sharing your story!! It encourages me.

CYW...How could your friend have gone from 9 to 4?? wow. that is crazy!! I have a feeling my labor will be really fast.
i have no idea Chantal.. I wondered the same thing.. apparently her mom did the same.. and their labour wasn't much just a few period like cramps...OMG I wish... her mom had began bloody discharge and her mother had told her to head to the hospital it was time so she did and her mom was 10cm and closed up to 2 when they broke her water...its insane...but they both had fast labours.. my friend just had a hard time pushing the baby out...her mom was in labour for 45minutes with pushing
Wow!! I seriously have never heard of that  before! I suppose anything is possible!! At least their labors were easy and quick!!!