Maternal & Child Community
Hair falling out after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hair falling out after miscarriage

I had a miscarriage at 9 and 1/2 weeks, followed by a D&C a few days later.  Now it's almost 3 weeks past the D&C, and my HCG is less than 5.  My hair was shedding somewhat more than usual while I was pregnant, but now it's really, really shedding.  I thought pregnancy was supposed to make hair thicker.  Has anyone else lost hair after a miscarriage?  How long did the extra shedding last?  I was on progesterone suppositories for 5 weeks during the pregnancy--so maybe that's a cause?  Thanks in advance for any comments!
I think maybe you should make an appointment and ask them to check your thyroid, its a simple blood test and takes just a few days to get the results back. Best Wishes!
I have not had any hair lose after a m/c, but I did lose a TON of hair after I gave birth. I was told it was because of the extreme changes in hormones. I am not sure if it could be from the same, but my guess would be from the same thing-change in pregnancy hormones-having them and then not. You could ask your doc too. This is what mine told me...good luck! PS-so sorry for your lose.
I agree with two of the above posters.  I have thyroid problems and have had several m/c and also episodes of my hair falling out.  You should have someone check you thyroid levels.

Good luck!

Nicki
I'm very sorry for your loss.  I was thinking the same thing as the other poster about your thyroid level.  Thyroid levels can cause a miscarriage and can cause hair to fall out.  
I know this is old but of anyone is searching hopefully they will find this answer helpful. I had a m/c after almost 7 weeks, two days after my miscarriage a couple of clumps of hair came out in the shower. Being fimilar with this type of shedding after having my daughter in April 2010, I thought it must be the pg loss. So I researched finding it is normal to experience shedding after a miscarriage because whole preg your estrogen levels rise cause your follicles to stay in grow mode instead of resting (hair grows and falls out in phases) once your hormones drop after mc or birth that hair that should have falling out while pregnant begins to shed as it would've had you not been preg, accumulating all at once to look like huge clumps of hair. This can last for days to months depending on how high your hormone levels were and how long you carried your pregnancy. Summary, shedding after a miscarriage is very normal and will not last long. Just hang in there ladies and best of wishes to all of you.