Maternal & Child Community
Hair not growing very fast!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hair not growing very fast!

My daughters 4 and due to start school in September.
Her hair is still quite short the longest bits only being aboout 8inches. She has never had it cut as theres never been enough.
WE have beent to the GP who says that it is one of those things and it will grow in the end. However, she is becoming more concious of it now. Could there be any underlying problems ore vitamin defiency. She has always been exremely healthy otherwise.
Has anyone elses child had short hair for so long!
My son was completely bald until he was two.  His hair is coming in quite thick now.  My dd had very fine thin hair until she was about 8, now at 16 it is very thick.

Don't worry.
ok thanks for that.
Yes, I have the same thing! My dd will be 2 next week, and she had NO hair up until a few months ago. It is finally coming in now and she is no longer mistaken for a boy as often as before. I am not sure why it takes so long for some children's hair to grow in, but is more frustrating w/ a girl, because ppl think I am cutting her hair to be like a boy or that she is a boy, despite the pink/purple clothing she is wearing! Her hair is still much longer in the back and short on the sides, so it is kinda funny looking now, but it is better than the none that she a few months back! My best friends daughter, who is 4 now, also took forever to grow hair in thick. She is fine now, but was also bald for a while...So you are definately not alone! :)
Hi there my daughter is going to be 7 in Jan and has had 2 hair cuts only about a half an inch both times. The doc says her nails are growing so don't worry about it. I'm with you though its a bit strange! Good Luck!
My youngest is 5 years old and I have been so worried for her also. She has very thin hair, which has curls when it is wet, but straightens out when it drys. She can't even keep natural curl in. It is very short and  thin.  I too have been wondering if there is something wrong with her, but after hearing all the other stories, I feel a lot better. Hopefully it will grow in. My other two children, one being a boy, have very thick hair.  
My daughter is 3 and her hair isnt growing very fast at all. It still hasnt reached her shoulders and one side is alot shorter then the other. I have thought something was wrong with her but after reading all the post on other children with the same problem i feel better about it. I have another daughter older then the 3 yr old and her hair is very thick and curly down to the middle of her back. Just weird how one is almost bald and the other has to much hair.